Tanner Gray/Greg Anderson (1 Viewer)

Eugene is right, I too have seen some monumental melt downs and tantrums all the years I was living down there. Helmets thrown, screaming fits, even car kicking is nothing new. And I echo the thought that I'm glad they didn't have cameras on me when I was 18 and competing.
Alan

... this is getting more attention because he is a young rich kid and some fans can't handle that...
Not quite, at least in my case. I fully get that lots of people are a whole lot richer than I'll ever be. I remember meeting Terry Chandler at Seattle last year and thinking how truly lucky we as drag racing fans are that she loves our sport. My son is a huge fan of Tony Shoe (another rich kid) who may well be one of the nicest racers I've ever met. You think Alex Laughlin is poor or ever had to worry about money? How about Tom McEwen? The people I listed along with pretty much everyone who races for a living is better off than I am and I have no problem with that. I'm happy with my life and the choices I've made. I was lucky enough to be able to buy my kid a car he wanted, which is far nicer than anything my dad could have afforded when I was young. I did it because my son appreciates it and if I ever saw or heard of him kicking the fender over ANYTHING it would not end well for his car ownership. Good parenting is good parenting, regardless of your bank statement.

Not quite, at least in my case. I fully get that lots of people are a whole lot richer than I'll ever be. I remember meeting Terry Chandler at Seattle last year and thinking how truly lucky we as drag racing fans are that she loves our sport. My son is a huge fan of Tony Shoe (another rich kid) who may well be one of the nicest racers I've ever met. You think Alex Laughlin is poor or ever had to worry about money? How about Tom McEwen? The people I listed along with pretty much everyone who races for a living is better off than I am and I have no problem with that. I'm happy with my life and the choices I've made. I was lucky enough to be able to buy my kid a car he wanted, which is far nicer than anything my dad could have afforded when I was young. I did it because my son appreciates it and if I ever saw or heard of him kicking the fender over ANYTHING it would not end well for his car ownership. Good parenting is good parenting, regardless of your bank statement.
I'm not condoning anyone kicking their car but the point I was trying to make is that when a younger rich kid throws a tantrum they are usually more scrutinized then an older person throwing a tantrum, and you kind of proved my point in your post 31. But, there are always exceptions to the rule. You are so correct about us being so lucky to have had Terry Chandler love our sport...and yes Tony Shoe is one of the nicest racers even though he has been bashed on here and other forums many times because he was a rich kid...Tom McEwen is kind of irrelevant to this post because he is not a rich kid "but he is an awesome guy"...I don't know much about Alex Laughlin but his dad has always been very nice to me. It sounds to me like you have a good son and he has a great dad.

Last edited:
Can't blame "rich kids" for being rich. They can't help it that they were born into a family with bucks.

You would think that dad and grampa would have a talk with Tanner and explain to him that he is looking like a little boy who just dropped and broke his all-day sucker when he throws his tantrums.

He will be OK when he discovers that race cars break and you will lose more races than you will win.

Considering Tanner was gunning for the win, I don't see that his reaction was over the top. We all want Drag Racing to be like it was in the 60's and 70's, but once a driver shows some real emotion after a loss, everyone wants to call him out for it. Would you really rather he not show that he was upset? Wouldn't you be overwhelmed with frustration if you could have won the race until a part failure? I bet the old guys like Snake and the like have no problem with Tanners actions. I certainly don't. If drivers were a little less politically correct like Steve T and some of the others guys have been this year, you'd probably have more interest in this sport. What would you all think if there was a live tv three-way beat down like NASCAR had in '79?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back