superstock racing ?? (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
Can anyone sum up the rules for superstock racing or at least point me to an article that explains it in a nutshell. Curious about Dial in/index/heads up racing and what distinguishes a particular class from another (motor weight etc) and do they have an all run or class elimination format and finally whats the payout like ?

The payouts are pretty much the same as any other class, just enough to buy a broom to sweep up the ashes from the stacks of Benjamins you just burned up. :D

I will give it my best shot! Classes are based on HP (not sure what determines HP baseline), weight and transmission (auto or clutch). The class index is a standard ET set for each class and only comes in play during qualifying, the further you are under the class index the higher you qualify. Class eliminations are a separate race during the event where cars in the same class race each other heads up, no breakout, first to the line wins. Not sure if points are awarded for class eliminations, but a lot of bragging rights are. For regular eliminations racers use a dial in based on their calculation of what they think the car will run. So, once it becomes race day, it is essentially a bracket race with handicap starts and break outs come into play. I hope this helps and didn't offend anyone in the process!

I will give it my best shot! Classes are based on HP (not sure what determines HP baseline), weight and transmission (auto or clutch). The class index is a standard ET set for each class and only comes in play during qualifying, the further you are under the class index the higher you qualify. Class eliminations are a separate race during the event where cars in the same class race each other heads up, no breakout, first to the line wins. Not sure if points are awarded for class eliminations, but a lot of bragging rights are. For regular eliminations racers use a dial in based on their calculation of what they think the car will run. So, once it becomes race day, it is essentially a bracket race with handicap starts and break outs come into play. I hope this helps and didn't offend anyone in the process!

ok so the purpose of the index is to set the qualifying order, so I'm assuming its not an all run system but the top 32 or 64 qualifiers. does this also mean, the only cars racing in final eliminations are class winners of the top 32 or 64 qualified cars or does class elimination racing have no bearing on final eliminations???

Quotas set the number of cars that can actually run at a national event. Indy qualifies 128 cars for eliminations, which technically is the maximum number of cars that will be laddered at any divisional or national event. The entry quota at Indy is usually capped at 180 cars, if I remember right. And, in eliminations, when there are two cars in the same Super Stock class, they race heads up. No dial in, they race against the class index, and first to the finish line wins. The breakout rules do not apply in a heads up race.

and to add to what richard and bob have explained......only some nat. events hold class elims. in s/ss.....they are great to watch
as they are heads up for class bragging rites + a small wally.....racers will look at entry sheets prior to events to see who's racing
and sometimes add/subtract weight to run in a different class with hopes of taking the class trophy (ex: moving from D/SA to E/SA).
i don't think class elims. have a bearing on how they qualify for sunday race. have seen before when Q is set, yet there are
class elims. yet to finish.
yes anyone can win on raceday dialing in a time and being a great driver at both lines, but the idea is to be the fastest you can
in your particular class cuz if you're the slowest and on sunday you end up paired in elims. with the fastest guy in your class,
your race is heads up with no breakout and you will lose.

Super Stockers have always been the wheelie champs. You wanna get a good wheelie photo? Go down by the starting line & just aim. There have been times when one of 'em will put the car on the back bumper. Have noticed that Stock Elim cars have been doing big wheelies the last few years as well. Really adds excitement to the class.

Great video Alan! Living in the northeast, I don't ever want summer to go quickly, but that video gets me pumped for INDY.

I had a chance to briefly meet Bob Frey at the late Speedworld track in Phoenix. Maybe around 1998? Anyhoo, Speedworld ran a Div 7 race there & Bob came out to do the TV show. I thought how cool, Bob Frey! heh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back