Superchargers for Top Fuel/Top Alcohol (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
So DMPE does a lot of work for many different TF teams, Al Anabi in particular. Are SSI and PSI still active in TF development? I know these were popular a while ago. Then came the Gibbs-Miller supercharger. Now DMPE. What do JFR and DSR do? My guess is that certain parts are off the shelf but the rest is customized. I wonder if CFD is used in the design, or if there is a physical way of testing a design. My understanding is that the NHRA has cracked down on design improvements, so I am left wondering if various supercharger manufacturers and/or teams still put any effort into redesign. I didn't know the roots style supercharger was developed in the 1860s are a way of pumping more air into furnaces. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Found some interesting scholarly articles on CFD analysis of roots type superchargers, but they either cost $40, or were for two lobe blowers. Plus they used really expensive software (ANSYS), which I don't think most supercharger (for drag racing) manufacturers would have. Fluent would probably be the best software to use, but I think they have been part of ANSYS for a while now. To give you an idea on how much that software costs, you are looking at 20K per year per seat. That is why I have often wondered if teams pair up with universities, because universities have access to software like that for research.

This may give you an idea of how far blowers have come. I remember going to the Indy Nationals as a kid +-1968 1969 and watching Mikey Thompson test blowers. He had a bunch of blowers in that looked to be new in the box in back of a pickup. The boxes were sealed and he was removing them from the boxes and hooking them up to a fixture where he would apply air pressure to them and essentially do a leak down test to see how long they held pressure. He picked the "tightest" one and put it on his funny car. I think it was the blue Mustang that Ongias drove that got the chosen blower. If I remember right he had a red Mustang as well that may have been driven by P Foster but I am not sure.

Now they check rotor clearances between rounds and re-strip them if need be. I can only imagine that blowers have become more consistent now that they are made from billet stock instead of cast.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back