Stock/Super Stock DYO (1 Viewer)

Bruno

Nitro Member
I guess I have not been paying attention. When and why did these classes change to a DYO/bracket race vs. class run-offs and then eliminator run-offs? I can only assume it is because of low car counts the last several years? What about Indy?

Class elims USED to mean something, especially at Indy. You won class it was like winning the race. I guess that is long gone. I still like to see what cars win what class when they do run class elims. Look, a Pinto! Or a front wheel drive 4 banger that runs 16's..... heh

It's been this way for at least a couple decades. Definitely for as long as I've been paying attention. I wouldn't have even known about the old format if it weren't for the racers I've met who did it in the 70s. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing races from the 90s with dials, so I'd guess it changed somewhere in the 80s or early 90s.

Class eliminations are their own separate thing and only run at a select few events. However, if you match up with an opponent who is in the same class, it's straight heads up. No handicap or breakout. Indy is the biggest race of the year for class eliminations, but they're still separated from the main draw.

looking thru the schedule this year, there are only (4) 4-day events prior to indy, and only brainerd has SS/STK class, followed of course by the nationals, and reading
will host STK class elims. ..... the run schedules are not posted yet for races after reading, which include ennis, vegas, and pomona all with 4-day events. as popular as STK/SS racing is,
i'm very surprised 'class' was not contested at at least gainesville or norwalk. nhra class trophies are coveted.

2024 class schedule is out. indy is only nat. event this year with class; traditional 128 car fields in S/SS ..... all other class elims will be hosted at div. events.
this mite not seem like that big a deal to some, but it wasn't too long ago that class was contested at multiple nat. events, with 100+ car fields. now standard S/SS quotas
are 50-60 cars per event. those that show up at nat. events have the grade pts., and enter the small quota nat. events so early, that many local racers don't have time to
get out to divisional or opens to get points, and end up not even being able to compete in Stk or SS at their nearest nat. event. been that way for a while now.
...... so it's good and bad. bad that class has essentially gone away from nat. events. good that having class at div. races without quotas draw a lot of cars, and winning
a small wally is still really a big deal, sportsman racers just don't win them on the big stage anymore.

Last edited:
2024 class schedule is out. indy is only nat. event this year with class; traditional 128 car fields in S/SS ..... all other class elims will be hosted at div. events.
this mite not seem like that big a deal to some, but it wasn't too long ago that class was contested at multiple nat. events, with 100+ car fields. now standard S/SS quotas
are 50-60 cars per event. those that show up at nat. events have the grade pts., and enter the small quota nat. events so early, that many local racers don't have time to
get out to divisional or opens to get points, and end up not even being able to compete in Stk or SS at their nearest nat. event. been that way for a while now.
...... so it's good and bad. bad that class has essentially gone away from nat. events. good that having class at div. races without quotas draw a lot of cars, and winning
a small wally is still really a big deal, sportsman racers just don't win them on the big stage anymore.
Mike, the fact that it will allow more local and D5 5 racers to participate in class eliminations had a lot to do with my decision to add the 2024 Brainerd event to our new Double Divisional/Regional event in July. My plans for the future divisional races will be to have it the weekend before the Lucas Oil Nationals bringing back the "Mega-Week" event. Moving class from the National event will also help with our full National event schedule which will feature all the LODRS sportsman classes including Super Street which I'm not sure has ever been contested here, Pro Stock Car, Mountain Motor Pro Stock, Top Fuel Bike, and TF/FC.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back