STEVE IVERSON accident (1 Viewer)

OK. We'd forgotten that there was gonna be SC after Rd2 Pros, so we headed out to the car.
Glad he's not too badly hurt! :)

We were walking up the return road (to visit a racer friend whose motorhome was parked on the return road) when this accident happened. It was a really ugly crash, lots of sparks and such. We saw one of the rear wheels bounce over the wall and go bounding up the return road not far in front of us.

Their motorhome was parked literally at the spot where he stopped and we spent the next 1/2 hour watching them cut the chassis in half to extract him from the car. We were told that it was a good sign that it took so long -- it meant he was conscious and they were discussing it with him. The car was in almost unrecognizable pieces when they were done -- ouch... (where's that photo of $100 bills when you need it :) ). We just caught a glimpse of him as they loaded him into the ambulance.

Steve was one of four racers who were allowed a re-run, and that run was his second try. There was something in the left lane that caused the first four cars to complain, they scrambled the tractor and let those four cars go back around. Steve was making his replacement pass when this happened. I don't know if whatever was on the track (oil?) had an effect on that pass.

I also don't know if the wheel coming off was a cause or an effect. One person said the wall knocked it off, another speculated that the wheel coming off caused the hit with the wall. All I know is that I saw sparks at what appeared to be a time _before_ he hit the wall, or so I thought, making me think the wheel came off first??? Just speculation...

Oh my goodness this is terrible news! I was just up there and never even heard about this! I know Steve as I have bought SRP safety equipment from him. In fact, he bailed me out at Woodburn last week when I needed an SFI rated sock. He's a real nice guy and I hope he can rebound from this.

As they told me up there last year, cars can be replaced people can't. Thank goodness it wasn't worse than it was.

Thank you Christopher for your account.
It sounds scary to have to watch the Safety Safari have to cut up a car.

Here's hoping Steve has a quick/full recovery!!!

Got a call today from my dad and he said that steve was on the rfc prayer chain!! He is actually not doing that good as said above!! He is in ICU trauma unit at Harborview Hospital in Seattle in a drug induced coma with punctured lungs, broken ribs, and other injuries as well. He is gonna need a lot of prayer so please still keep steve in your prayers!!!

Oh man, that's really bad news. I'm really surprised I haven't heard any more about this than what's been said here. Let get a mater prayer chain here! Like I said Steve's a real nice guy and this really is sad news.

for what it is worth a friend that was pitted across from Iverson heard that a suspension part broke. hope he makes a total recovery

Oh man, that's really bad news. I'm really surprised I haven't heard any more about this than what's been said here. Let get a mater prayer chain here! Like I said Steve's a real nice guy and this really is sad news.

I was at some folks house who live a stones' throw from the track. Alan Reinhart showed up and told us they airlifted a racer out after a crash. I had completely forgotten about it till now!:eek:

This is a major bummer and once again shows how potentially dangerous drag racing can be when something goes wrong. I think he had a fairly old car I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it but I think it was like 230 inch car probably built in the 80's but I don't know that for sure.

I couldn't believe I was there, talked to a million people drove home and still didn't know about this until seeing it here. I had just bought a head sock from Steve 1 week prior. He also got me a great deal on an engine diaper the race before that! Folks Steve is a great guy and I sure wish there was something we can do to help him. I guess right now we just have to wait.

Well this sucks!!!
Thank you Clint for the updates!
Steve you are in my thoughts and hoping for a speedy recovery!

Well this sucks!!!
Thank you Clint for the updates!
Steve you are in my thoughts and hoping for a speedy recovery!

Hi my name is Steve Iverson Jr. most of you probably have seen me at the track with my dad as I'm always there anyway i was told about this site and after reading the well wishes i joined.First off I'd like to say to the capitol guys thank you for all the stuff you said about my dad he is one of those people who'd give his shirt to someone.last report was this morning and he's recovering very well it will be a long road but he is getting better everyday I'll try to keep the updates coming as best i can and as acurate as i can.thank you everyone for for your thoughts and prayers I and my family appericate it very much.

Hey Steve, thanks for coming on here. I don't know you or your dad, but the fear of these types of things are in the back of all our minds and those of our families. Because we enjoy the same thing, in a sense, we all know each other... I wish you the best of luck and pray that your dad continues to heal and positively progress.

Welcome and thanks for the update Steve!!!
As racers, crew, fans, ect we are all a big extended family and family helps us get thru the tougher times.

Looking forward to hearing more good news about your dad!
Wayne

Welcome and thanks for the update Steve!!!
As racers, crew, fans, ect we are all a big extended family and family helps us get thru the tougher times.

Looking forward to hearing more good news about your dad!
Wayne

Well i just got back from Seattle from seeing my dad and he's looking much better.They've moved him from Harborview trama to a hospital that specializes in respitory stuff so he's on the road to mending it just won't happen over night.For those who'd like to send a word or gift of some kind the address is
Steve Iverson
C/O Highline Specialty Center
12844 Military Road South
Seattle Wa. 98168

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back