Updates on Dallas ProMod Accident (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Has anyone heard any more on the condition on the driver who had the accident in ProMod at Dallas?

There seems to have been a rash of accidents in ProMod recently. Any reason?

Lee
Nitroclovers

ProMod cars are beasts of a different variety. They are barely on the edge of control to begin with. The guys and gals who drive those are a special group of people too.

ProMod cars are beasts of a different variety. They are barely on the edge of control to begin with. The guys and gals who drive those are a special group of people too.

21st Century Glendora sanctioned Fuel Altereds... (Rapid, don't hit me! :D)

What the hell was that sitting in Jason Line's lane in the 3rd P/S session right in the lights? Did anyone tape it? If so, go back and look for it; it's just off center to the left (Jason's left as he's heading down track). Appears to be a pilot from the previous pair.

Bring back Lynwood and Chad Head!!! We need some eyes on the f'ing race track guys!

NHRA Notebook: September 2008

Vettel checked out and released: Pro Mod racer Ray Vettel of Phillips, Neb., was examined and released by doctors at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas after his Friday night qualifying accident in Dallas. Vettel's 1970 Plymouth Barracuda hybrid went out of control approximately 800 feet down the quarter-mile, crossed the centerline, and impacted the right-side retaining wall. He was transported by medical helicopter to BUMC.

"I'm fine," Vettel said. "I just feel a little beat up. It happened very fast and I saw the wall coming at me so I turned her all the way around so I didn't go head-on into the wall. The car pieces are ruined but I actually think the chassis is okay. It hit hard, but not real hard. All the safety equipment did its job."
According to Vettel, a CAT scan performed on his brain showed slight swelling. He was given oxygen for three hours and then released at 3 a.m.

I was talking to one of Joe Baker's crew guys the next day, he said Ray Vettel wasn't even in the groove when he launched on that run. But.... a few drivers said the Top end was a little dicey!

What the hell was that sitting in Jason Line's lane in the 3rd P/S session right in the lights? Did anyone tape it? If so, go back and look for it; it's just off center to the left (Jason's left as he's heading down track). Appears to be a pilot from the previous pair.

Bring back Lynwood and Chad Head!!! We need some eyes on the f'ing race track guys!

Bill, I noticed it from the freaking stands when it happened. If I remember right, it was Allen Johnson's parachute. When he pulled the chutes something came off and I saw it land by the side of the wall. They never went to get it. They ran 2 or 3 more pairs of cars before someone went out there and got it.

NHRA Notebook: September*2008

Vettel checked out and released: Pro Mod racer Ray Vettel of Phillips, Neb., was examined and released by doctors at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas after his Friday night qualifying accident in Dallas. Vettel's 1970 Plymouth Barracuda hybrid went out of control approximately 800 feet down the quarter-mile, crossed the centerline, and impacted the right-side retaining wall. He was transported by medical helicopter to BUMC.

"I'm fine," Vettel said. "I just feel a little beat up. It happened very fast and I saw the wall coming at me so I turned her all the way around so I didn't go head-on into the wall. The car pieces are ruined but I actually think the chassis is okay. It hit hard, but not real hard. All the safety equipment did its job."
According to Vettel, a CAT scan performed on his brain showed slight swelling. He was given oxygen for three hours and then released at 3 a.m.

Holy Cow!! Ray is one of my old racing buddies! We have had many the great race at good ol' Kearney Raceway Park. Hadn't heard anything about it! Glad you guys are on top of it. I'll do some checking today and if there are any updates, I'll pass them along.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back