SPAM from the NHRA (1 Viewer)

Man, the ignorance and hatred in this thread is astounding.

The "ignorance and hatred" is not wanting to be spammed just because I am forced to be a member of NHRA in order to race at their member tracks. What I find astounding is your inability to see that.

At the very least, the NHRA should follow the good taste (and I believe federal law) of all good companies and allow an opt-out mechanism. To my knowledge and through my own cursory research, there is none.

At the very least, the NHRA should follow the good taste (and I believe federal law) of all good companies and allow an opt-out mechanism. To my knowledge and through my own cursory research, there is none.

It is perfectly legal for NHRA to sell their email list and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Some companies allow you to opt-out of marketing offers from partners, but it is NOT required.

Anyone who spams is required to offer an opt out in the spam email, so somewhere in the Vivarin e-mail, there should be an opt-out mechanism.

HOWEVER, I strongly recommend that you NEVER opt-out of spam. Just delete it, or set your filters accordingly. If you respond to a spam mail in anyway, including opt-out, the spammer will know that is a valid email address and sell it to EVERYBODY on the internet. So ironically, opting out of spam will generally greatly increase the amount of spam you receive.

The "ignorance and hatred" is not wanting to be spammed just because I am forced to be a member of NHRA in order to race at their member tracks. What I find astounding is your inability to see that.

Seriously?

nhramail.jpg

As Chris said, NEVER click on an opt-out / unsubscribe link in a spam email. He has already explained the reasons why.

Just delete it and be done with it....

The kicker is though, just like any other online contest, once you fill out and submit an entry form, you're essentially submitting your email address to be distributed. Same thing when you fill out any contest box in the pits, a mall, trade shows, etc.

That's where I am sure most these mailings are generated. They always (well, mostly always -usually-) have multiple options before you click "enter me!"

Signing up for contests is probably the biggest culprit...they have boxes you uncheck (default is usually -mostly always- checked) to opt-out of the mailings (or browser search bars or whatever)...

listen, I'm still amazed that I get real paper junk mail in the mail...but someone somewhere ran the numbers and got the desired result....(personally I think it's either kick-backs from publishers or logging companies) apparently spam/junkmail works to some degree....but I think the only folks that it works on are the same folks that repeatedly attempt to pick up the coin that's glued to the ground in front of the bar....or order microwavable snugglies or real estate advice at 3a.m.

As Chris said, NEVER click on an opt-out / unsubscribe link in a spam email. He has already explained the reasons why.

Just delete it and be done with it....

If the original spam doesn't bounce back to the sender, the email address has already been confirmed as valid.

If you want to effectively get off of spam email lists, get a program like MailWasher Pro. You can preview all of your incoming emails on your client server(s) and you can bounce the spam back to the sender before it is ever downloaded onto your computer.

Man, the ignorance and hatred in this thread is astounding . . .

Lance, I don't feel any hate on any level towards the NHRA or its board members, and I actually in general don't have a problem with them attempting to generate some additional revenue through leveraging the membership list.

I just don't think this current email activity is going to generate much revenue for them as the approach they are taking (marketing commodity products to a specialized audience) is probably not going to do much and I hope they didn't extend any funds to get this campaign done, they could end up in the red on it.

But we'll probably never even know what the economic impact of the activity was as the "cloak of secrecy" they have put in place keeps us members from being able to find out.

This is not the way that non-profit business leagues are supposed to operate, members should be given full access to observe the business activities of the league. This is done to help the members decide if the current leadership should stay in place, which is also the manner in which a non-profit business league is expected to operate.

You mentioned ignorance in you post, a pretty strong word which implies something posted here was incorrect, could you please point out specifically which post you felt was incorrect?

Thanks,

You mentioned ignorance in you post, a pretty strong word which implies something posted here was incorrect, could you please point out specifically which post you felt was incorrect?
Registered member said:
Definition of IGNORANCE
: the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness
You are ignorant on the meaning of ignorant.

You are ignorant on the meaning of ignorant.

Well ok, sorry for not being as specific as you prefer, let me try again.

Please state which posts you feel display the claimed "lack of knowledge, education, or awareness", and what about them leads you to that conclusion.

....You mentioned ignorance in you post, a pretty strong word which implies something posted here was incorrect, could you please point out specifically which post you felt was incorrect?

Thanks,
The NHRA is not selling their email database, they are not generating these emails as a revenue source, not in the way that you are invisioning it anyways. Once again, these are Marketing Partners with the NHRA. They are sponsors of the sport, and they cross promote with the NHRA. Some of the product's packagings have the NHRA logo on them. This is no different than a team promoting their sponsors products.

What I don't quite understand is why members are just now getting these, I've been getting them for years, promoting all of the NHRA's sponsors over the years. I got another one just today promoting a Rocky Boots contest to win a trip for two to the Vegas Fall Race. This promotion had a picture of Grubby in it instead of Greg Anderson.

nhramail2.jpg

Last edited:
The NHRA is not selling their email database, they are not generating these emails as a revenue source, not in the way that you are envisioning it anyways. Once again, these are Marketing Partners with the NHRA. . .

Its really just semantics, "Marketing Partner" versus "selling the email list" are both descriptions of the same process, using members email addresses to promote 3rd party products for either a flat fee or a revenue share.

Which by the way is not something that I think is a terrible thing to do, I was just pointing that even though its our own email addresses that have been "partnered" or "sold" (pick your language) that its unfortunate that we likely will never even know what impact this had on the bottom line of the NHRA.

Can you imagine the response if the NFL organization started leveraging for revenue something that belonged to each individual team owner without both letting them know about it and giving them access to gauge the economic impact of the activity?

There's no reason that NHRA members should be treated so more poorly than NFL members, they are both the exact same kind of organizations, ie non-profit business leagues. If the NFL members got treated like that the commissioner would be booted out in a heart beat.

Well ok, sorry for not being as specific as you prefer, let me try again.

Please state which posts you feel display the claimed "lack of knowledge, education, or awareness", and what about them leads you to that conclusion.
You were not being unspecific, you were incorrect because:
Being ignorant is not knowing, being incorrect is being inaccurate or faulty, i.e. wrong, as you were with your above statement.

You were not being unspecific, you were incorrect because:

Being ignorant is not knowing, being incorrect is being inaccurate or faulty, i.e. wrong, as you were with your above statement.

Yikes, that's all too complicated for me.

Any chance you could make it simple for me and just say what statements you think were ignorant, or showed ignorance, or were incorrect or however you preferred it to be described?

That way we could at least perhaps agree to disagree but since we can't agree that you should state what you disagree with I can't agree that I shouldn't disagree to accept showing ignorance.

Its really just semantics, "Marketing Partner" versus "selling the email list" are both descriptions of the same process, using members email addresses to promote 3rd party products for either a flat fee or a revenue share.........
It's an email letting you know about a sponsor putting on a contest featuring NHRA prizes, thats all these emails are. The NHRA is merely letting you know about these contests, how hard is that to understand. If you don't want to participate in any of these contests, if you don't want to be notified of any of these contests, just unsubscribe, simple as that.

Now that little thing under your name in your signature, that's SPAM.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back