SPAM from the NHRA (1 Viewer)

Paul

Nitro Member
I just received a promotional email from the NHRA, promoting Vivarin and featuring Pro Stock driver Greg Anderson.

I don't remember receiving emails from the NHRA promoting other products, is this a new activity or have others received emails like this in the past?

Unfortunately the golden age of making money with promotional emails has gone past us, its not easy to make money this way now. The combination of SPAM filters and people getting pretty numb to these kinds of promotions has put a serious cramp on generating revenue from email campaigns.

If you have something people really want to buy or are really interested in you can still make money with promotional emails but if you are just trying to promote products available at any drug store (like Vivarin) its probably not going to pan out.

I hope the NHRA didn't sink too much dough into this activity, I don't think it will generate much cash for them.

I just received a promotional email from the NHRA, promoting Vivarin and featuring Pro Stock driver Greg Anderson.

I hope the NHRA didn't sink too much dough into this activity, I don't think it will generate much cash for them.

Paul I got one too, just an advertiser sending out an email blast, NHRA sold their email list.

Another method of monetizing the National Hot Rod Association.

what? no different that receiving parts catalogs in the mail - used to get
them all the time back when i was a member.
mailing list then / email list now - same difference - no big deal.

Its amazing how little we know about the decision process that the NHRA employs in the process of running the company, and decisions like going in the email marketing business can come flying out of the blue.

In the post below, I reviewed the business structure of the NHRA and how they pretty much hijacked what was originally an organization that was designed to be controlled by its members by voting process and built themselves a "legal moat" to protect their job security:

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/30232-nhra-sacks-museum-director.html

But there are some other important things to understand that I didn't cover in that post and I'll review them here.

In a publicly held organization (ie public stock shares) there are requirements to keep share holders very informed about both the conduct of the company and its financial status and prospects. In addition to an annual report that details the operation, transactions and financial status of the company there are also quarterly reports to update shareholders also.

In addition there is an annual shareholders meeting where the annual report is reviewed and shareholders can make comments and ask questions.

Shareholders can also request access to the Bylaws of the corporation. Bylaws are the required detailed rules on how the company is to be run, covering how board members are to be elected or replaced and the rights of the shareholders. Bylaws can be changed over time so its important to be able to access the most recent version of them.

In summary, in a public company you can fully understand how the company is being run, what rules it must conform to, what its goals are, what directions it will be taking and what kind of shape it is in financially.

The NHRA is a non-profit company with no shareholders but it was originally setup so that its members functioned as shareholders, for example having control by vote of the board members. In addition there were to be annual meetings both for the purpose of electing board members and to inform the members on the direction of the company and to allow questions.

The company also has Bylaws that were to be available for inspection by its members.

As I described in the previous post, the NHRA board has done an impressive job in building a "legal moat" that insures that they alone determine their own job status and salaries.

But in addition to the legal moat they have also done an impressive job in setting up a "cloak of secrecy" around the company. To my best understanding there are no annual or quarterly reports that can be accessed by the members and there is no annual meeting where these reports are reviewed and where members can ask questions.

The company is required to have a set of Bylaws, but in language I have seen in some of the bylaw modifications they are now claiming that the NHRA actually has no members in the "original sense" that was used to describe the members when the company was formed. Thus they are now stating that they no longer have to provide access to the company Bylaws to current NHRA members.

They have thus constructed an amazingly effective "cloak of secrecy" around the company, a perfect combo to their "legal moat".

Without being able to see the Bylaws we have no idea what rules the company must adhere to in the operation of the company on important issues such as hiring and retaining board members.

Without seeing annual and quarterly reports we have no idea what the financial status of the company is and what direction they intend to take with the business.

This is not the way that a non-profit business league with significant membership is intended to be operated. It is expected that in a non-profit business league that its members ultimately control the direction of the company and also have full access to the financial status and plans of the company.

Here's a significant example of a non-profit business league that is run as is typically intended for this kind of business entity.

The NFL League (the league itself, not the individual teams) is also a non-profit business league. It has a much smaller membership, the members are all the individual team owners, in a similar way to the NHRA race team owners, although the NHRA has a lot more team owners.

As is supposed to be the case, these team owners ultimate control the NFL by electing its Commissioner. If they don't like they way the league is going they can have him replaced, as has been done in the past.

The NFL, as expected, regularly issues quarterly and annual reports so there are no surprises to its members in the financial status and direction of the company.

The NFL not only makes its Bylaws available to its members, they're available to anyone that wants to take a look at them.

This is good practice for any non-profit company, you don't want the public to suspect that anything funny might be going on in a non-profit company.

Here's the NFL Bylaws, in them they describe how the owner's elect the Commissioner:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

In total contrast, the NHRA has done a great snow job in keeping its members totally in the dark in what kind of the company the NHRA actually is (a business league with no private owners) and what kind of information the member should have access to if the company was being run as is intended.

As does the NFL, the NHRA should be making its Bylaws and financial reports open to inspection by members.

The fact that the NHRA Bylaws are kept hidden behind the "cloak of secrecy" brings up some interesting questions.

What would happen if, God forbid, something would happen to incapacitate all the current board members?

How is a new board of directors to be appointed in this case, with no existing board members left to elect them?

With no access to the Bylaws there is no way to answer important questions like this.

This is not the way the company was originally set up to operate and its also not consistent with the way a non-profit business league is expected to run.

The current board is running the company like they own it (they don't ) and the only reason they can get away with it is because we are letting them do it. Do you think NFL owners would tolerate something like this?

I think things may soon get bad enough that NHRA members may finally get off their duffs and work together to force the NHRA to run like a true business league is intended to be run, with the NFL being a pretty good example to point at and emulate.

Last edited:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Don't forget that NHRA is having to payoff that $99 million lawsuit to the Pro Stock Truck guys.

Sucks about Tony Thacker. One helluva nice guy who always went out of his way to thank us for coming by the museum.

what? no different that receiving parts catalogs in the mail - used to get
them all the time back when i was a member.
mailing list then / email list now - same difference - no big deal.

There is QUITE a bit of difference. Parts catalogs come from a company I have a relationship with, this is just flat out spam.

Absolutely no class, NHRA. Bad decision.

Paul, well reasoned, I would hope you and everyone have taken the time to read the current NHRA Form 990 Tax Return if for no other reason to read the compensation pages.

Scanned-Image-7.gif

Darr, thanks for posting that.

Its just not the way that its supposed be, the only brief glimpses we get into the NHRA's financial status are their tax returns.

I stated this already but NFL owners would never put up with this, why are NHRA members allowing it to happen?

NHRA members, we have a great example to point at with the NFL, lets demand that the NHRA drops the "legal moat" and "cloak of secrecy" and re-instates election of its board members as was originally intended.

This doesn't necessarily mean that every current NHRA board member or employee has to go, but there would likely be a new guy elected in the top position that NHRA members would trust as much as NFL owners trust the current commissioner.

Its getting to be time for this to happen before the ship lands on the bottom.

Got the same spam. I'm willing to bet the NHRA would try to sell just about anything to anyone at this point to infuse some capital.

"Hey, Garlits. You using both those kidneys?"

And to the poster who said no big whoop on the spam: there is zero implied permission granted to the NHRA to sell OUR personal information to THEIR partners so THEY profit. What's next? Feminine hygiene products? Cruises to the Riviera? Dog food?

The melon heads in Glendora think we're all cattle to be fed whatever they decide to shove down our throats. The only way this train turns around is to get the greedsters out of the driver seat and revert this organization back to what it was and still should be.

There is QUITE a bit of difference. Parts catalogs come from a company I have a relationship with, this is just flat out spam........

a parts catalog mailed is a measured bet that the nhra member enjoys
aftermarket equipment - the catalog company pays postage for these
anonymous mailings.

anonymous emails cost little to nothing.

the parts catalog 20 years ago and vivarin today probably paid inflation
adjusted similar prices to nhra for their list.

so if selling mailing lists is nothing new, and it isn't, should vivarin instead
be a nat. event sponsor at a signage level and attach banners everywhere?
and hope folks see them, go home and research their product?
or spend very little to manage bulk emails,
find and buy demographic lists such as 'nhra members', and send bulk emails so with a click of the mouse
their target will be introduced to their product, and the next time he is
driving the race car hauler cross country and needs to stay alert, maybe
he will buy some vivarin at the truck stop.

Last edited:
There is QUITE a bit of difference. Parts catalogs come from a company I have a relationship with, this is just flat out spam.

Absolutely no class, NHRA. Bad decision.

What about the Rocky Boots emails? What about the Candlewood Suites emails? What about the Mac Tools emails? Etc., etc......

Are all of those SPAM too?

Believe it or not, I haven't heard about Vivarin until now. Coffee in a pill? I might have to take a look.... :D

Now for the email.... I don't see why people are getting into a tizzy over this. Just put it in the trash folder (If it didn't get put into the junk mail folder) and get on with your life!

Darr, thanks for posting that.

Its just not the way that its supposed be, the only brief glimpses we get into the NHRA's financial status are their tax returns.

I stated this already but NFL owners would never put up with this, why are NHRA members allowing it to happen?

NHRA members, we have a great example to point at with the NFL, lets demand that the NHRA drops the "legal moat" and "cloak of secrecy" and re-instates election of its board members as was originally intended.

This doesn't necessarily mean that every current NHRA board member or employee has to go, but there would likely be a new guy elected in the top position that NHRA members would trust as much as NFL owners trust the current commissioner.

Its getting to be time for this to happen before the ship lands on the bottom.

Paul, You say that the NFL owners would never put up with that but the NHRA members do put up with it. Are you saying that the NFL and the NHRA are both non profit organizations?
IMO you are WAY overreacting to this whole situation.

Yep, got the same email, deleted it as soon as it came in. Sure it's low class, but not nearly the stupidest thing the NHRA has ever done. I just deleted it.

Man, the ignorance and hatred in this thread is astounding.

First off, the NFL endorses and promotes more products than the NHRA ever will. I get emails from them on a weekly basis promoting someone's products.

In a word: yes. But I haven't seen mail from them.
Rocky Boots, Candlewood Suites, Mac Tools, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Harley Davidson, Wal-Mart, now Vivarin. I've recieved NHRA emails about every one of these sponsors and a contest they are having. They are all marketing partners of the NHRA, and part of that partnership is that NHRA will promote their products and contests with their member base. NHRA isn't selling their email list, they are only promoting their marketing partners.

The kicker is though, just like any other online contest, once you fill out and submit an entry form, you're essentially submitting your email address to be distributed. Same thing when you fill out any contest box in the pits, a mall, trade shows, etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back