Sonoma (1 Viewer)

TK

Nitro Member
Newbe here, but I have been lurking for a long time.
My wife and I are heading to the west coast to hit Sonoma in July. I did a search and found some info, but I could use a little more. What side of the grandstands are pitside? Any other advise would be appreciated, where to stay, good places to eat. Thanks for the help.
Tim

Newbe here, but I have been lurking for a long time.
My wife and I are heading to the west coast to hit Sonoma in July. I did a search and found some info, but I could use a little more. What side of the grandstands are pitside? Any other advise would be appreciated, where to stay, good places to eat. Thanks for the help.
Tim

The pits are directly behind the grandstands. As far as places to stay, that is a little more tricky. This is a very rural area so you are not right by the track. You can check into the Napa area, Novato (most teams and visitors stay in this area) and there is also Petaluma. It's all pretty easy to and from the track so long as you print out directions or have GPS. Marin county has plenty of places right off HWY101. Hope this is helpful.

you might consider renting an RV. I have never done it (we stay in the pits), but others I have talked to say the campground across the street is cool. they have a special entrance to get in. no parking way out back. no fighting the limited traffic routes in and out. Looks like a good deal all the way around. Good luck!

The pits are behind the main grandstands. If you want to got thru the sportsman pits they are more spread out thru the road course. Wear hiking boots as there is alot of uphill downhill walking.

Pits are on both sides of the track. Pro's and a few sportsman behind main permanent grandstands, and staging lanes (main grandstands and staging lanes are on the same side of track). Most sportsman are on the tower side. However, some are up the hill in what is called the padock area. Someone mentioned a motorhome and this is a good idea, however I believe you may have to park across the street from the track, or some other place.
If you want to sit close to the cars while they are racing and get what I believe is the best view, then the tower side near or next to the tower would be my choice (good view all the way down the track, and nice vision over the K-Walls-sit on the isle half way up). These tickets are actually usually cheaper then the main grand stands. It's not that big of deal to walk to the other side, they have a path through the center of the staging lanes that will get you to the other side. Sonoma is a wonderful facility, and I have always been treated like a king while there. I think you'll really enjoy yourself there.

P.S., (Tip) If you going for one day, go Friday. Less people (however I think last year folks were catching on), easier to move around freely in a more relaxed environment. If your lucky their will be a few oil downs that set the program back an hour or so. This will put the last nitro qualifying sessions past 8 P.M., to around 9:00 to 10:00 P.M., so you can get the night header flame action! Track on Saturday and Sunday secured at 5:00 P.M., no way night action, got it!

;):)

I usually stay in Vallejo at the Ramada on Admiral Callaghan lane.
Never had a problem there myself, but there were reports in years past about thefts within the city.
I didn't find the immediate area around the hotel property to be too sketchy at all! It has lots of convenient stores and restaurants nearby.
Great Belgian waffles in the morning too.
Just be sure to get to the track early. Traffic on the 37 gets very congested.
(one lane in each direction)

The track offers free shuttles that circle the perimeter of the property. Hop in one and it will make things easier. Otherwise, prepare to make a long hike!

There are RV stalls on the the terraces overlooking the shut-down areas on both sides.

If you can make the hook-up, there is some very nice parking behind the café area.

Take a jacket/warm clothing. It gets very chilly on Friday night and it gets windy in the afternoons.

The tower bleachers are the temporary ones. Take sunscreen/sun protection if you sit on that side because the sun hits them directly.

You've seen my pics of the place here before, right?

With no alcohol racing anymore, Sonoma is not the value it used to be. :(
I won't be going anymore I don't think. :(

Don't come all the way out to Sonoma unless you plan on going into town (San Francisco) it is a must go to place. You and your Mrs. will love it. You can pick up a ferry in Suasilito that will take you across the bay.

There are many places to go and see that will fill the whole day. And while you can't go wrong with most restuarants (people who live in the city often eat out) with good food at good prices, I highly recomend The Tadich Grill in The Business District. The seafood cioppino is to die for. No reservations are taken and it usually fills up when the business markets close, but well worth the wait. Dress nice but casual. Sorry about the long link below, their website is being constructed now.

Tadich Grill - Google Maps

Thanks for all the advice, we are getting into town on Friday morning and are going to hit the track all three days. Going to hang around the area after the races for a couple days and the make the drive up the coast to Portland for my brothers wedding. It should be a great time and we are really looking forward to it.
Thanks again,
Tim

Thanks for all the advice, we are getting into town on Friday morning and are going to hit the track all three days. Going to hang around the area after the races for a couple days and the make the drive up the coast to Portland for my brothers wedding. It should be a great time and we are really looking forward to it.
Thanks again,
Tim

Like Paul said....BRING A JACKET!!! It can get cold once the sun goes down. And head up the coast, and stop for dinner at Tex Wasabis in Santa Rosa, it is Guy Fieri's place, and food/atmosphere rocks!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back