So ya wanna be a T/F crew member? (1 Viewer)

If I was 20 years younger, single and without a good job and a mortgage to keep up with I would want to go out on the road for a year or two to get it out of my system.

You really do have to love it. All the time away wears on you, Missing important dates, or just fun ones. Even if you plan it all out months in advance, all it takes is a rainout and you miss a concert, or a show or a birthday.

This happens to me at least twice a year

Buddy; "Hey Alan, we're all going to the lake this weekend, biggest party of the year, want to go?"

Me; "I'm going to Topeka (or wherever) so I can't make it.

Buddy; "That job of yours sucks.....Can I borrow your boat?"

Me; "NO!"

Think about what you did Super Bowl Sunday, and then read what Troy and the guys did. As I understand it they had an invite to a party that afternoon, but ended up staying at the track.

I was talking to a Crew Chief in Phoenix that told me he had hired a guy that for two years had been trying to get on a team. Sent Resume's followed up with calls, letters and visits. Had wanted to do this forever. He was hired Jan 3rd, and quit at Phoenix, He just couldn't take it.

I am very fortunate, I love my job and I fly in, (I do still get behind the wheel now and then) but all the hotel nights, and fast food, do take a toll. I wouldn't trade jobs for anything, I have been places, met people, and seen things that I never would have gotten to do otherwise. I have even been a crew member on a Pro Stock car, and once on a Top Fuel car. But I have seen a number of people over the years, try the life on the road and just couldn't do it.

Alan

With the advent of the hospitality areas in various pro pits, most of the crews eat pretty good now days. Not eating well is their own fault these days. How do I know? My son has been on tour for 23 years, with F/C, T/F, AFD and now T/F again. The boys get tired, but when the car's running good, it makes a huge difference.

Is it 2 guys per truck alternating driving duty? Is the truck moving 24/7 or do they stop for the night?

I can't believe they don't get a single day off. wow!
+
Often when they do get a day off they go in to finish something up anyway. their dedication to the sport is pretty unbelievable.. And then the see what some of crackpots have to say about their teams. then get up go right back to work unbelievable. Tip of the cap to them all

Not nessecarily...... I know guys on Kalitta that have had to drive to Columbus, Toronto and even Cincinnatti to catch a flight because the weather was crappy and they couldn't get out of Detroit.

Chris, how many crew members would rather fly in on Thurs. out on Monday as opposed to driving the Rig from race to race across the Country? I bet a majority of them would.

I too have the upmost respect for those who choose to do this for a living. Thanks for all you do so we can enjoy the show! Please keep in mind those of us who spend alot of our time/ money to voulinteer to help all the sportsman racers compete as well. It truely is a labor of love.

With the advent of the hospitality areas in various pro pits, most of the crews eat pretty good now days..

Hey Pat, When we were young (I know long ago) didn't we call people that rode around the US, eating free food "bums" ? :D
I guess maybe calling Randy a "Nitro Gypsy" might be better for a mother?

On topic , we used to be able to rest a little Mondays while cleaning, and loading up. Now they sometimes make four testing runs, my back and legs were done by Sunday night, you need to love racing to work that hard on Monday. We had first time guys that would quit after one race.:mad:
Now throw three "back to back" races into the job!

I was lucky enough to work on a fuel car at one race. I'd do it again, but no way I'd do it full time.

Got to the track Friday morning around 8 after a five hour drive. Stayed at the track until midnight or so. Went to the hotel and slept until 6, back at the track at 7. Stayed at the track that time until 10. Back at the track Sunday (DNQ) a bit later and watched the race from the starting line. Lots of fun, but no sleep, very little time to eat. Until Sunday, I think I saw 3 or 4 passes the whole time. I'd have rather worked on the car again Sunday than watch everyone else bust hump.

The neatest thing about the whole experience was the difference in the way you're treated when you're holding a wrench instead of a camera by the drivers. It's almost like automatically being part of the family. The next race I went to was about 6 months later, and that was just as a spectator. A few people in the pits still recognized me, and one or two remembered my name.

On a side note... I did get to drive Darrell Gwynn's golf cart....:D

You definitely have to be prepared for some LONG days. I can attest to this from some of the comp and other sportsman teams I've been involved in. Its the worst at places like Reading, where the curfews allow early morning/late night racing. At national events they're often sending cars down the track at 7:30 in the morning, and often till 10pm or later. Since sportsman cars are filler, they run whenever there's time between the pros - be it before, in the middle, or after. So sportsman teams are likely to be running at 730 am then have next round at 8 pm. So figure on getting to the track a couple hours before the scheduled first run - and staying a couple hours after the last run by the time you go over the data from the run, load up, etc. And that's provided nothing got broken.

After racing at Reading, sleeping in at places like E-town is really nice since they don't allow cars down the track before 10am.

And just think - safety safari has it even worse. They're there 2 hours before the first car goes down the track - and I'm sure at least an hour after the last car goes down as well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back