So did TV Tommy run the first 5? (1 Viewer)

In todays world they get excited over a .0100 improvement. Those guys were mostly running atleast 0.2 off the fives and not considered that far off

In todays world they get excited over a .0100 improvement. Those guys were mostly running atleast 0.2 off the fives and not considered that far off
How true. In the early days, records would often be reset by tenths of a second, and it happened often.

I always thought it was Mike Snively, but who knows. There's 3 people who claimed to run the first 200. Garlits, Kalitta or Karamesines?

I had to laugh years (1993?) ago when conditions at the Topeka race were good enough to produce both the first 4 second and 300mph funny car pass. Force figured he had one or both of them in the bag but as it turned out, someone else got there first on both counts. He reacted by stating he would get a sex change operation so he could be the first female to grab one of the records.

Seemed to be a bit of a dig at Keystone for not being an NHRA track now or then...but was NHRA from the late 1970's up through the late 1990's/early 2000's (?) for what it's worth. I think they joined IHRA around 2001-2002, and now WDRA. I believe they were running under NAAR in '72, which was started by Walt Mentzer. Walt was the original founder of the AHRA. Useless info of the day.

I grew up North of Pittsburgh, no one ever really talked about Keystone being "fast", so I can't help but to believe Ivo had the perfect storm that night to run the 5.97.

Steve, that's great trivia. Always love the history of various tracks. My original home track, San Fernando Drag Strip, was "uphill" off the line and went "downhill" about the 1/8 mile. Plus no guard rails..... heh

finally took a few minutes to read the article. it's really good. how about that last photo in article of ivo vs. garlits. ivo's TF'r with every aero trick of the day.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back