Simpson Helmet Air System (1 Viewer)

RAPID

Nitro Member
I know we have discussed them in the past. Could someone who has/uses one tell me how long it might last. I just got the system, and I am wondering if will last the whole race weekend, 1-run, 4-runs????

Rapid

Randy...It depends how much air you get into it. It has a gauge from 0-30. A full fill bottle usually gets it to around 25. In my case I only turn it on before I roll into prestage and then turn it off before I get off the track...maybe 30 seconds a run. When it gets down just under 10, I usually top it off. It also depends on whether you turn the valve (the remote valve not the bottle valve) all the way on or not. There is probably about 3-5 minutes air in there if I was guessing. Always good to have a large fill tank on hand!

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. That was the way I was planning on using mine also. I just didn't know if it would last a weekend or not.

Did you just get a bigger tank, regulator and line, and fill it yourself or do you take it in to a scuba store or firemans station to fill it?

Thanks for your help,

Rapid

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. That was the way I was planning on using mine also. I just didn't know if it would last a weekend or not.

Did you just get a bigger tank, regulator and line, and fill it yourself or do you take it in to a scuba store or firemans station to fill it?

Thanks for your help,

Rapid

Randy

Get a large tank (Scuba) hose and glad hands to fill at the track. I think you will find yourself (being in the Midwest) running the air wide open at times to keep the visor clear. Also I WAS TOLD it was a great air conditioner when your in the stageing lanes when your suited and waiting for that oil down to get cleaned up.

A sporting goods store that deals in Scuba gear can get you hooked up. I know I have a few around me that are exclusive to Under water gear and can hook a person up with a Used tank and the nessesary harware to fill the Overpriced Simpson bottle. They also refill the tanks. Ebay is also another place to find a Used tank. BUT BE CAREFULL as the tanks have a Cert. and needs to be good to get refilled. Otherwise your paying for a Hydro test also.

Brown

Thanks Dan,

I dropped it at a local scuba shop today. He told me they can test it and re-cert it for 25-bucks which is good for 3-years. The composite bottles last about 15-years then they won't re-cert.

It is 6-bucks to fill it at the scuba shop.

I called my welding supplier, and can get a big tank, 55.00 bucks a year for the 5-foot tall one. It is around 30-bucks to exchange it when it is empty. This is for breathable air.

The welder joint won't sell the parts to fill due to liability issues. I assume a couple of fittings, hose, and a regulator would be all you need to fill it from the big bottle to the small one.

Rapid

Randy

I assume the bottle you had dropped off at the local Scuba store was the one you are mounting on the car? Technically you wouldn't need to have that bottle checked and dated because it would be mounted on the car and never taken off as your refilling it from your large bottle. But it never hurts to be safe. I was not aware a welding supply store carried Breathable air. I will have to check into that. I would think the tank you get from them would be different than the tank from your Scuba supply store. That’s something I will check into. And let me know what you come up with. I already have the Simpson Carbon bottle mounted on the car but I too am in the market for the larger tank and everything that goes with it to fill the smaller bottle.

I will keep you in the loop.

When I called our welding place, I asked for breathable air. I told him what I was doing and he said, "yes, exactly. I have the big tank, but won't sell a "re-fill" kit. You can buy the big bottle or just rent it for a year."

Since I live in what started as a small town, I had in mind stopping by the local fire dept. I thought I would at least ask if they could/would fill it. Since they are only a few blocks away it would be pretty handy.

Good point about the bottle not having to come off the car and being certified. Since it is already there, it will be nice to have it certified.

Rapid

Last edited:
Randy, I don't want to sound too cautious here, but just some added precaution for you and I think it needs to be said.

I work in the chemical industry and we use large quantities of bottled breathing air. There have been documented cases where breathing air that was shipped from a well known supplier was not breathing air and individuals died because of it. I can't remember the specifics of what was actually in the bottle. If you plan to use the larger bottles from a welding supply to recharge yours, be sure to ask to see a certificate of analysis for that specific bottle you are buying. We check every bottle here ourselves to double check what has been shipped.

Glenn, thanks for the tip. I will print this and ask them to see it when I go get my bottle. I know they will have that, because they do not fill the bottles there at the welding shop. They are sent out for that process so I bet the paperwork is well documented.

Thanks again,

Rapid

I think thats a preety good excuse to use the Scuba tank that gets filled at the scuba store. I never thought about something like this.

Thank you

It was a very unfortunate instance. If my memory serves me well, these guys were inside a vessel on breathing air and when the bottle they were on got low the man watch switched them over to a back up which was the bottle that was bad. Now if I remember right, when the man watch saw they were down, he put on his mask to go in a retreive them and you guessed it, same air, same problem for him too. I have to say it was something no one could ever believe could happen, but it did and it made the whole industry rethink how they handle breathing air. Dive shops shouldn't be excluded in your verification. Do a google search for breathing air accidents.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but just wanted to pass along some info for all the folks using breathing air.

Hope it is helpful.

You have to remember that the compressors pull their source of air from the air around it. If it is not in a protected area (i.e. away from car exhausts etc. etc.) the air gets contaminated. The only difference between a normal air compressor and one used for breathing air is the fact that the breathing air compressors by their design do not produce carbon monoxide, a by product of burned lube oil in the compressor while pumping.

Supply air that meets or exceeds OSHA air purity standards as follows:

GRADE 'D' AIR *

Maximum

Contaminant Parts Per Million

Carbon Monoxide 20

Carbon Dioxide 1,000

Oil 5

Man, I love that avatar. :D

My bottle passed certification, and is good for 3-more years. :cool:

It is full, and was 6-bucks to fill. I will try it out this weekend. I did put on my helmet tonight, fogged up the visor. A shot of air cleared it right up. If it works that well at the track I will be very satisfied.

I am still looking into the bigger bottle and what exactly the fittings required to be able to fill the small bottle. Where it is mounted under the seat, filling it on the car would be the easiest method.

I will post more as I find it out.

Rapid

Rapid,

Is the helmet you bought?

190.jpg

EDB

No Eric,

I have a new Impact Nitro helmet that I got over the winter. What I just got was the Simpson air bottle system that connects to it. :)

Rapid

If you can, get Air Tested to Grade E NFPA 1500... and please note that SCBA air, (firemen's breathing packs) is normally pumped by a mid-range compressor (3000-6000 psig) going through several stages of purification, into a "cascade" of several DOT Cylinders, then the 30 minute cylinder is fed off the cascade.

With proper Purification, even a standard 5-10 hp shop compressor can be used to produce breathing air... It is recommended the the compressor is operated using "food grade" oil, and system should have a CO monitor... Air samples should be to a certified lab at least every 3 months.

You've all seen the link www.uapc.com any questions, call us.

If you can, get Air Tested to Grade E NFPA 1500... and please note that SCBA air, (firemen's breathing packs) is normally pumped by a mid-range compressor (3000-6000 psig) going through several stages of purification, into a "cascade" of several DOT Cylinders, then the 30 minute cylinder is fed off the cascade.

With proper Purification, even a standard 5-10 hp shop compressor can be used to produce breathing air... It is recommended the the compressor is operated using "food grade" oil, and system should have a CO monitor... Air samples should be to a certified lab at least every 3 months.

You've all seen the link www.uapc.com any questions, call us.

Wouldn't the oilless compressors eliminate a large portion of the noted contaminants? I'm not certain Food grade oil would have sufficiant lubricating properties for the compressor. I'm just thinking out loud here

Surprisingly, most compressors used at fire houses and the USA and USN dive teams, are just using a Syn. diester ISO68 or 100 wt. oil... (SAE20 or 30 appox). Alot of industrial appications are using oil flooded screws, use a ISO46 or 68 H/PAO (Food Grade), Nav dive teams using Diesel powered units. Again, it about the after purification, even in oiless, or oil-free apps.
Food grade oil is not for comsumtion, we aren't refering to Wesson or Mazola. Food grade oil is FDA classed for use in apps. for equipment in the Food processing Industry, just like there as special specs for food processing steam filtration.

Oiless or oilfree is normally used in apps such as MED. OXY, or other Med. Gases, or special/haz. gas apps. using special dryers and purification after. And there is a difference between oil-Less and Oil-free...

Last edited:
Ok, just an update. The air system works great. Instant fog free when you flip the switch. I have been using it as Jeff described and so far it has lasted all weekend.

The recert and first fill were done at the scuba shop. $25.00 for the recert, and $6.00 to fill it.

I have had it filled 2-more times at the dive shop so far.

Just this week I was able to talk to the local fire chief. He has agreed to fill it for me. I have it full again to go to Mo-Kan this weekend. I was discussing this with another fireman. It looks like a hose, 2-fittings and a gauge would allow me to fill it in the car from a separate bottle.

Rapid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back