Should Pro Mod Replace Pro Stock? (1 Viewer)

The title of this thread is, to me, a simple "yes" or "no" question about Pro Mod versus Pro Stock. Why some have used it in a diatribe against throttle stop cars is beyond reason.
Instead of hiding behind a keyboard, go into the sportsman pits and tell those in the throttle stop classes they aren't "real" drag racers. Once you've done that, then by all means post your experience. (In a separate thread)
There has been a lot of times that a thread will start as one subject then move into something else and that's ok . Drag Racing is a sport for everyone and I'm a fan of all auto racing, it's been in my blood since early age. My first class i raced in NHRA was Super Gas before electronics so i a fan no matter how they race it.

If I had to choose Pro Mod! Pro Stock was once my favorite class but now it’s a Camaro class! When the manufacturing wars ended it was no longer as fun to watch! I know they allow other manufacturers but with a Chevy drive train it’s not the same!
At least with Pro Mod it’s a mixture of old and new, different combinations! Turbo’s, Nitrous and blown! Pro Stock is just so so!
It’s sad but if I had to choose Pro Mod is what I would prefer! It sucks out here on the West Coast because they don’t have Pro Mods at the National events.

I’m not sure why anyone gets so bent out of shape when a thread strays from the original subject. If you don’t like it stop following said thread. We should probably be glad when anyone spends their time here especially when it’s a positive and friendly post. I feel sorry for some of you who think everyone should follow your opinion of how things should be.

Last edited:
i just look back at what addicted me to the sport. back in those days driving was a BIG part of winning as it was your right foot controlled the race. at the big end. as a kid i would see quick 16 cars hit the brakes creating a puff of tire smoke at the big end. ....but it was a drag race to get there. as for the P/S race at the county?? they had a P/S race there? that was a funny car track. ok, so your kid understands why these cars fall on there face after launch. i would not have tolerated them as a kid. so NHRA will go belly-up if we eliminate electronic racing, and make the driver do the job. please give me ONE reason for stop n go cars over the driver doing the job. sure save money on electronics, maybe it would add cars. and wheelstanders. at seattle before K RAIL, the sparks would set the grass on fire at seattle. and the safari had to put it out. fans hopped the fence to stomp it out, burnouts / throttle whacks during staging / stuff kids dreams are made of are gone. from what it boils down to, i owe it all to mike burbach and bill d.

Last edited:
You would be hard pressed to find better finish line drivers then the guys in girls in the .90's classes.

I’m not sure why anyone gets so bent out of shape when a thread strays from the original subject. If you don’t like it stop following said thread. We should probably be glad when anyone spends their time here especially when it’s a positive and friendly post. I feel sorry for some of you who think everyone should follow your opinion of how things should be.
This particular one is more about beating a dead horse than a general straying-from-the-topic thread. I bet there could be 50+ pages of posts at this point about the .90 classes in threads that got derailed, and it's never anything new. Also, it'd be one thing if anyone who ever brought them up actually wanted to discuss/debate their merits, but that's obviously not the case. People only mention them as an example of everything wrong with modern racing, and as someone with many friends who participate in them and who has enjoyed watching them since before I found out I'm supposed to hate them, it's hard to not take it at least a little personally.

If a thread evolves into something that's actually an interesting topic of discussion, even if it's nowhere close to the original subject matter, nobody would have a problem with it.

nobody would have a problem with it.
I wouldnt count on that.
Don't get me wrong I don't like how some take every opportunity to bash something they don't like. Everyone has a right to their opinion but when they take every chance to bring it up I think they are just looking for an argument and too many times someone gets reeled in. There are two popular people who come here to post. One handles them with facts, class and a level head and the other is just harsh more often than not and falls right into what I believe the poster wants which is an argument. The best thing to do is to ignore them but it rarely happens. That is the biggest issue with detailed threads. It doesn't solely fall on the original culprit. I'm sometimes more annoyed at the person attacking the original person by derailing things further. Now in the case of this thread to suggest as someone did that it should have been all yes or no answers is hilarious. I don't think anyone has any interest in reading 10 pages of that. Can we all just be friendly and civil? If you don't agree someone that's ok. If everyone had the same views the only reason to visit here would be pictures and news with no reason to conversate. I wish everyone could try to be more positive. Life is too short to be miserable.

I wouldnt count on that.
Don't get me wrong I don't like how some take every opportunity to bash something they don't like. Everyone has a right to their opinion but when they take every chance to bring it up I think they are just looking for an argument and too many times someone gets reeled in. There are two popular people who come here to post. One handles them with facts, class and a level head and the other is just harsh more often than not and falls right into what I believe the poster wants which is an argument. The best thing to do is to ignore them but it rarely happens. That is the biggest issue with detailed threads. It doesn't solely fall on the original culprit. I'm sometimes more annoyed at the person attacking the original person by derailing things further. Now in the case of this thread to suggest as someone did that it should have been all yes or no answers is hilarious. I don't think anyone has any interest in reading 10 pages of that. Can we all just be friendly and civil? If you don't agree someone that's ok. If everyone had the same views the only reason to visit here would be pictures and news with no reason to conversate. I wish everyone could try to be more positive. Life is too short to be miserable.
I love civil discourse with people who have differing opinions. Even if I don't agree, it forces me to think critically about my own stances in order to validate them. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find people willing to engage on that level (especially on the internet). I wasn't going to say anything on super class comments, but then it blew up and I'll admit, I'm guilty for being suckered in.

Literally speaking, the thread topic is directly asking for a "yes" or "no" answer, but I think it's pretty well understood that the simple answer should be accompanied by an opinion to justify it, which is where the conversation comes in. I took the main point behind that post to be that it would be nice if the opinions were actually on topic, and not just randomly attacking an easy target (though I could be way off). I said no and gave my reasons, while others have said yes and gave pertinent reasons. It's always fun to read the mix of opinions... until someone comes along with a lowest-common-denominator subject change and takes the fun of discussing away. Like I said above, I don't mind if a thread eventually gets derailed, so long as there is actually intriguing discussion, which will never happen with the throttle stop classes (though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong there).

To the original poster, No.
I like all racing. if I need to go to the head, or concessions, if not racing, I most likely will go during stock or super stock.
No disrespect, I like both, they just my least favorite.

Brad, your points are well stated.
I don't remember if there are forum rules, if someone can direct me to them, thanks in advance.

I myself, put the obvious trolls on ignore, and have even taken them off ignore when I see a quoted post that some one does of them, and I see that there is a good input.
Yes, everyone is entitled to there opinion, but I don't need it shoved down my throat as some seem to do.
It's just like meeting someone you don't like, you don't associate with them, right?
And some who I don't like when I 1st met them in real life, have become great friends.

Well, in my book, everyone gets a second chance. Hence the removal from the "list"... :)

I was born in Los Angeles, grew up in Glendale. Interesting you ask that question. SoCalif (& probably NorCal as well) were traditionally nitro. We all knew there were fast door cars & enjoyed watching them. We liked Super Stock, especially in the early 60's with the Hemis & Ford Thunderbolts, etc. But when a track wanted to put on a show, it was the nitro classes. Dragsters originally, then funny cars when they became popular. I really don't remember Pro Stock being that popular on a local level, altho the class was run at "big shows" sometimes. I do remember that when the first NHRA Pro Stock class was run at Pomona in 1970, it was well received by the fans. Bill Jenkins won and ran 9.99 in the final and that was wild! But I still think that nitro was king. It's interesting to me that Pro Stock & later Pro Mod really caught on in the South, & maybe the East as well, but not the West Coast. We did have A/Gas Supercharged & old timers remember Stone-Woods & Cook VS Big John Mazmanian. Popular because they were supercharged and could smoke the tires like the dragsters. Most of that class went on to F/C. I dunno, Pro Stock has evolved like all the other classes. You have to admire the speeds & ET's they are getting out of 500" motors, but.... the class long ago left it's roots. I like Pro Mod better because 1. They are fast 2. Noisy 3. A variety of engine combos. Just speaking for myself, I have always loved the faster classes. Modified Roadsters back in the Daze, dragsters, AA/FA, on & on. Same today. Nitro, T/AD & TA/FC, Pro Mod, Not so much Pro Stock. Anyhoo, that's the Official Cliff Explanation Of Why Pro Stock Ain't As Popular. heh

I was born in Los Angeles, grew up in Glendale. Interesting you ask that question. SoCalif (& probably NorCal as well) were traditionally nitro. We all knew there were fast door cars & enjoyed watching them. We liked Super Stock, especially in the early 60's with the Hemis & Ford Thunderbolts, etc. But when a track wanted to put on a show, it was the nitro classes. Dragsters originally, then funny cars when they became popular. I really don't remember Pro Stock being that popular on a local level, altho the class was run at "big shows" sometimes. I do remember that when the first NHRA Pro Stock class was run at Pomona in 1970, it was well received by the fans. Bill Jenkins won and ran 9.99 in the final and that was wild! But I still think that nitro was king. It's interesting to me that Pro Stock & later Pro Mod really caught on in the South, & maybe the East as well, but not the West Coast. We did have A/Gas Supercharged & old timers remember Stone-Woods & Cook VS Big John Mazmanian. Popular because they were supercharged and could smoke the tires like the dragsters. Most of that class went on to F/C. I dunno, Pro Stock has evolved like all the other classes. You have to admire the speeds & ET's they are getting out of 500" motors, but.... the class long ago left it's roots. I like Pro Mod better because 1. They are fast 2. Noisy 3. A variety of engine combos. Just speaking for myself, I have always loved the faster classes. Modified Roadsters back in the Daze, dragsters, AA/FA, on & on. Same today. Nitro, T/AD & TA/FC, Pro Mod, Not so much Pro Stock. Anyhoo, that's the Official Cliff Explanation Of Why Pro Stock Ain't As Popular. heh

1. If I remember correctly, the crowd headed for the exists after the Pro Stock final at the 1970, (first) Gatornationas. :)

2. The AA/Fuel Altereds are the most awesome cars that ever traveled the quarter mile. I am so lucky as I got to see most of them :)

It isn't like anyone has ever competed in those ranks and then gone on to, ohhhhh, I dunno, win world championships in categories like nitro funny car and top fuel. You call yourself a racer, admit that you have never driven a car down the track, and then launch off into this screed about how you have no respect for people who invest their time and money into the sport, competing on the level that they want to. Did you by any chance score 4 touchdowns in a game for Polk High as a kid?

It's been fun to hang out here over the years, but this has become the chorus around these parts too often for me.

See you guys and girls at the track.

Brian

So now all it takes to be a racer is that we claim we are? No need to even actually race?

Well how bout that!? I guess that makes me the king of the World, no? I mean, since we're just making random claims about things we've never even actually done. Dave, Dave, Dave...

Wow. Just wow. No respect for actual real racers, yet you don't race yourself. How does that even work, Dave Pulver?

Last edited:
You would be hard pressed to find better finish line drivers then the guys in girls in the .90's classes.
Good ones drove by the seat of their pants. And they (we) knew how to jam on the binders just enough to not raise any smoke from the front tires. Keep between a 1/4 and 1/2 a fender in front of the other guy and then BAM, hit the brakes when you knew he didn't have enough speed to get around you.

Now its all about the stripe, the package and how to set up your delay box. Things we were cognizant of in the early 80's but didn't have any trick names to call them.

I agree pro stock is dead admit it and move on
Pro Stock ,is not dead. Just look at the race this weekend extreme Pro Stock Mountain Motor only run 3 tenths faster with 900+cu in than Pro Stock with 500 cu in which is more impressive? I think filling in with PM ,PS Mountain will help PS. Once their parts are used up they should switch to factory motors and that will draw manufacturers back in . I like the race this weekend but it would loose interest if ran every weekend. NHRA is headed the right direction, all they need is 3 or 4 manufactures convince to come back with motor program, I think in time teams would go for it. It's coming to Nascar soon, cost need to be cut across board in all racing.

Actually, the MM P/S motors are around 828 CI, from what I have read. They are still running rules from maybe 10 years ago, cuz the class was on again / off again, so no one updated the engine size. Originally IHRA, then 1/8 mile, etc and now finally NHRA. I thought 6.23 from a couple of those cars was really quick at 227 MPH. Imagine what they could do with 900 or 960 CI. they would be knocking on the door of the 5's, on carbs & gas.

Actually, the MM P/S motors are around 828 CI, from what I have read. They are still running rules from maybe 10 years ago, cuz the class was on again / off again, so no one updated the engine size. Originally IHRA, then 1/8 mile, etc and now finally NHRA. I thought 6.23 from a couple of those cars was really quick at 227 MPH. Imagine what they could do with 900 or 960 CI. they would be knocking on the door of the 5's, on carbs & gas.
They sure would. And, what if at that point you gave them a little spray? 5.70s? And just that fast, you have a whole new batch of nitrous PM cars, LOL. I like the backed down schedule for the PS cars, and weaving in the MM cars is a great idea. They're badass. Overall, I think the huge number of PM cars, FSS cars, along with adding in TF Harleys and MM Pro Stockers has really made national events a helluva great show.

I think if you rebody all the prostockers in period AA/GS bodies, you might have something.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back