Should Pro Mod Replace Pro Stock? (1 Viewer)

john- ppl wont charge the gates for 8 non-supercharged cars as YOU put it. #1 aint gonna be 8 cars, 16 or 32 at the cost to run them. P/S belongs at bracket races, where they MIGHT put butts in the grandstands. the stands evacuate like they are on fire at FIRST SIGHT of P/S. and there is no such thing as a REAL drag racer in a stop n go car. those are for lazy ppl that have no intent on getting there hands dirty all weekend. i have NO respect for ANYONE racing stop n go cars. NONE AT ALL. ......how the hell do you explain those SILLY cars to your 6 year old going to the dragstrip for the first time?? you REALLY think that will create a childhood dream that i had?? if you cant use your right foot on the big end, do us all a favor, get out of the sport. along with your motorhome that is more important than your race car. i have ZERO respect for those cars / owners / drivers. so NHRA has this ignorant idea those cars draw crowds and childhood dreams over wheelstanders. i have lost a lot of respect for NHRA. if stop n go cars were only allowed in by pick-up/camper pulling race car trailer, the wanna-be phony racers will not show up. those classes would all but be gone. those so called racers are there to spend the weekend in a motorhome, not get there hands dirty working on no race car.

Dave, the “stop n go” cars are not meant to be a draw for fans. I don’t like the stop n go aspect of the .90 classes either, but they’ve proven to be a great training ground for racers who want to move up the ranks. I miss a lot of things from the earlier days in the sport too, but things evolve and change, and I still find plenty to be excited about with drag racing today.

Dave - i am not a big fan of .90 cars either as a spectator but I do understand their place in the sport and respect the time, money love and passion that these racers have for what they do. I do attend 2 or 3 divisionals here in the northeast and I do admire the workmanship involved in ghese cars and the people who own and drive them are usually very friendly to talk to when I am doing my pit crawl. These cars are also very important in helping these tracks pay the bills. I don't always watch them but I do appreciate them. I do remember the early days when some super gas cars had clutches and manual gear boxes but even with todays .90 cars, to do what they do is not as easy as it looks.

Take a look inside the cockpit of a .90 car. They have so many electronics that it looks like a Pro Mod. Even a digital readout that acts as a tach and about 100 other functions. This is hi-tech stuff. Would love to see S/C on a 7.90 index & S/G as 8.90, but would leave S/ST as 10.90 cuz it's a good entry level class. Besides, S/ST is not all roadsters with F/C style bodies.

john- ppl wont charge the gates for 8 non-supercharged cars as YOU put it. #1 aint gonna be 8 cars, 16 or 32 at the cost to run them. P/S belongs at bracket races, where they MIGHT put butts in the grandstands. the stands evacuate like they are on fire at FIRST SIGHT of P/S. and there is no such thing as a REAL drag racer in a stop n go car. those are for lazy ppl that have no intent on getting there hands dirty all weekend. i have NO respect for ANYONE racing stop n go cars. NONE AT ALL. ......how the hell do you explain those SILLY cars to your 6 year old going to the dragstrip for the first time?? you REALLY think that will create a childhood dream that i had?? if you cant use your right foot on the big end, do us all a favor, get out of the sport. along with your motorhome that is more important than your race car. i have ZERO respect for those cars / owners / drivers. so NHRA has this ignorant idea those cars draw crowds and childhood dreams over wheelstanders. i have lost a lot of respect for NHRA. if stop n go cars were only allowed in by pick-up/camper pulling race car trailer, the wanna-be phony racers will not show up. those classes would all but be gone. those so called racers are there to spend the weekend in a motorhome, not get there hands dirty working on no race car.

It isn't like anyone has ever competed in those ranks and then gone on to, ohhhhh, I dunno, win world championships in categories like nitro funny car and top fuel. You call yourself a racer, admit that you have never driven a car down the track, and then launch off into this screed about how you have no respect for people who invest their time and money into the sport, competing on the level that they want to. Did you by any chance score 4 touchdowns in a game for Polk High as a kid?

It's been fun to hang out here over the years, but this has become the chorus around these parts too often for me.

See you guys and girls at the track.

Brian

Come on Jay, you and I are old enough to remember when PS was a great class. Personalities, a variety of cars, close racing (most of the time), and fun to watch.
Now, it's just close racing- which I'm good with- but there's no Grump or Dyno or Ronnie...
I was a west coast fuel guy. Pro stock was an eastern thing. I remember an event at OCIR, big Pro Stock event. Booked in all the top names. Everyone was there except spectators. People that went said it was a Ghost town. Don't think they ever tried that again.

It's been fun to hang out here over the years, but this has become the chorus around these parts too often for me.

Brian
Brian -

You are a valued voice I very much appreciate. I hope that you change your mind and chime in when you see fit. Please don't allow the robots to win another one.

-

I'm not a fan of the .90 classes either, but they are more than tolerable on the 1/8 mile. :)

and there is no such thing as a REAL drag racer in a stop n go car. those are for lazy ppl that have no intent on getting there hands dirty all weekend. i have NO respect for ANYONE racing stop n go cars. NONE AT ALL. ......how the hell do you explain those SILLY cars to your 6 year old going to the dragstrip for the first time?? you REALLY think that will create a childhood dream that i had??

It would be much easier for your 6 tear old to understand if you were racing in one of those classes.
Heck, he might even do a better job setting up the stop if you let him. :)
Kids are much smarter than some give them credit for.

The next time you go to the races, ask one of them to explain the reasoning for how they do it.
I am sure 90% of them would be more than happy to.
He might even get a chance to sit in the car, and that could really make his day!

Last edited:
It isn't like anyone has ever competed in those ranks and then gone on to, ohhhhh, I dunno, win world championships in categories like nitro funny car and top fuel. You call yourself a racer, admit that you have never driven a car down the track, and then launch off into this screed about how you have no respect for people who invest their time and money into the sport, competing on the level that they want to. Did you by any chance score 4 touchdowns in a game for Polk High as a kid?

Brian
Brian,
It is much easier to click the ignore button.
Just click on the persons name, a window will pop up with follow, ignore and start a conversation buttons.
Click on the one you want.
Now if we could just get people to stop quoting those people, we would not ever have to know what they said... :)

Personally, I think having you here, along with Allen is a great thing.
You both bring a perspective and an attitude that is lacking on some message boards.

Brian

I honestly don’t blame you at all if you never want to post again Brian! Even being an admin on this site, there has been a few times that I’ve wanted to walk away from the bullshit myself, but I am a glutton for punishment from the select few that make me bite my tongue on a regular basis. Like Jeff said, just use the ignore feature and hope that people will stop responding to those that obviously “know it all”.

Regardless, just know that the majority on this site appreciates the insight that yourself and Alan provide!

Brian
Married with Children reference ???? :p

i'll never understand why some take, what's said on this site so serious, were talking about drag racing for cryin out loud. most of us, on this site, will never meet and what's being said will have zero impact on anyone's life. This is a public forum so for every civil debate, there's gonna be some that are considered a jerk for a disagreeing. i know this coming in and do not expect anything else!!

It would be much easier for your 6 tear old to understand if you were racing in one of those classes.
Heck, he might even do a better job setting up the stop if you let him. :)
Kids are much smarter than some give them credit for.

The next time you go to the races, ask one of them to explain the reasoning for how they do it.
I am sure 90% of them would be more than happy to.
He might even get a chance to sit in the car, and that could really make his day!
Dusty Meyer TS champ showed how quick he can set time before staging hell I would be a minute or so late trying to figure it out, crazy stuff. I challenge him with trans brake but wouldn't do it.

Jesse, I noticed you used the words had and was...does that mean the track is no longer in use and if not why?
Eugene, the track is called Thunder Valley Raceway and they still have stick races, actually the track is ran with nostalgia atmosphere no prep, check their web site. The track is in Bethany Mo.

The title of this thread is, to me, a simple "yes" or "no" question about Pro Mod versus Pro Stock. Why some have used it in a diatribe against throttle stop cars is beyond reason.
Instead of hiding behind a keyboard, go into the sportsman pits and tell those in the throttle stop classes they aren't "real" drag racers. Once you've done that, then by all means post your experience. (In a separate thread)

The title of this thread is, to me, a simple "yes" or "no" question about Pro Mod versus Pro Stock. Why some have used it in a diatribe against throttle stop cars is beyond reason.
Instead of hiding behind a keyboard, go into the sportsman pits and tell those in the throttle stop classes they aren't "real" drag racers. Once you've done that, then by all means post your experience. (In a separate thread)
This. I may not have many posts here, but I've been reading for years. Seems like all it takes is one person to bring up those "horrible" .90 cars to completely derail a thread, regardless of the original subject matter. If someone walks up to me and says that I'm not a "real" racer because my type doesn't fit into their incredibly narrow-minded view of what drag racing is, I'll have a few choice words for them.*

To the original question, no. Making PM full-time, or even shortened full-time like PS is now would destroy the class. As has been stated, the participants don't want a full schedule. Also, trying to maintain parity over a full season with unequal combos would create so much infighting and accusations of favoritism that it would eventually devolve into another spec class like PS is now, and then we're back at square one.

*Full disclosure: I have never driven a .90 car, but it's something I've always wanted to try. I have heard from many people that the only true drag racing is heads-up, fastest car wins, but those particular people I've talked to are so out of touch with the modern racing scene that it's not even worth the argument.

I was a west coast fuel guy. Pro stock was an eastern thing. I remember an event at OCIR, big Pro Stock event. Booked in all the top names. Everyone was there except spectators. People that went said it was a Ghost town. Don't think they ever tried that again.

This was what Saturday night was like in So. Cal.
Sat Nite Irwindale 7%22.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back