Should Pro Mod Replace Pro Stock? (1 Viewer)

Racers need to make a living AND be able to race, the schedule needs to be shorter for most classes to be full and prosper.The Pro classes that have mega sponsors can run the big schedule, barely, they will be taking a hit sooner or later. Sponsors are not getting the ROI they need. Look at the actual sponsors and how they are related to drivers

Head self sponsored
Kalitta self
DHL Kalitta flys thier freight
Cat spot Buddies
LRS Wilks HS buddy
Surfer dude self

What I wish the NHRA would do is rotate the tracks that get Pro Stock and Pro Mod. For example this year Brainerd has Pro Stock, so next year it would have Pro Mod instead. Expose the different classes to different audiences.

the schedule confused me. they eliminate events for P/S, and a couple of the events they kept are at the same track. would anyone know the reason for that??

as for a match race circuit, A/F dragster engines in floppers might work. at a fraction of the cost and ya get all the flames and nitric acid in the air also!! fans would go nuts after they stage and hear those big deep pops those engines have!!!

as for a match race circuit, A/F dragster engines in floppers might work. at a fraction of the cost and ya get all the flames and nitric acid in the air also!! fans would go nuts after they stage and hear those big deep pops those engines have!!!
I don't understand why NHRA won't include the injected nitro engines in Top Alcohol funny car like they do in Top Alcohol dragster....

An injected nitro engine is great but give me the blown alcohol motor in a funny car any day of the week. The sound and smell and gear changes in these cars during a run will never be replaced by an injrected nitro car. (Jusy the humble opinion of a 50 year race fan)

People will also not charge the gates to see 8 non supercharged injected nitro cras either.Divisionals have several injected nitro dragsters and the crowds are usual sparse (I do go to 3 divisionals every yesr here in the northeast ) Blown nitro funny cars are another story.

Truth is, Pro Stock should never have been a pro class. They should have only been run at divionals I was always baffled why NHRA kept them until now read about deliberately emptying the stands for beer sales.

nobody deliberately empties the stands, but if someone does it is because nhra decreased the time between nitro rounds to accomodate a faster sunday (tv) = less time to watch nitro turn around/car warming up. (nitro is the sell).....put whatever category you want after or before the nitro cars. the fans are gonna' head for food, restrooms, vendors, and pits. only so much time in a day, a day that is much shorter than in years past.......now that PS is only running 18 events, you have PS, PSB, nitro harley, FS and PM that that don't run the full tour, alternating classes at venues annually as they do rite now is probably a pretty good solution, that is if everyone wants to be a part of nhra nat. events. oh, lets not forget comp, top sportsman, top dragster, super gas, super comp, stock, super stock, and super street. 17 classes are now at least some part of a 24 race series......the number was 12 for so many years (13 for a few with PST) i sure wouldn't want to figure out who stays and who goes. who races and who doesn't.

Last edited:
Truth is, Pro Stock should never have been a pro class. They should have only been run at divionals I was always baffled why NHRA kept them until now read about deliberately emptying the stands for beer sales.
Come on Jay, you and I are old enough to remember when PS was a great class. Personalities, a variety of cars, close racing (most of the time), and fun to watch.
Now, it's just close racing- which I'm good with- but there's no Grump or Dyno or Ronnie...

Come on Jay, you and I are old enough to remember when PS was a great class. Personalities, a variety of cars, close racing (most of the time), and fun to watch.
Now, it's just close racing- which I'm good with- but there's no Grump or Dyno or Ronnie...

put 4 speed, H pattern shift transmissions back in and there could be a whole new series of heroes

Bethany Mo. Had track where once a month was for 4& 5 speed cars only and it was a huge event

Bethany Mo. Had track where once a month was for 4& 5 speed cars only and it was a huge event
Jesse, I noticed you used the words had and was...does that mean the track is no longer in use and if not why?

Pro stock was once my favorite class. I hate what it has become. Top fuel should be as it is now. Funny car should be what is now pro mod. Pro stock should be similar to what is now factory hot rod.

Pro stock was once my favorite class. I hate what it has become. Top fuel should be as it is now. Funny car should be what is now pro mod. Pro stock should be similar to what is now factory hot rod.

What is factory hot rod?

Just recently found some photos I took back in 1976 at a match race between Grumpy's Camaro and Dyno Don's Mustang 2. at Connecticut Dragway, -. priceless. Those were some of the great days of pro stock.racing..The cars of today are technically light years ahead of those back then, ghe racing is very close but the entire feel is so different and not in a good way.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back