Short wheelbase dragsters (1 Viewer)

Interesting article - Presumably, a long dragster would have (even a slight) ET / SPEED advantage over a shorty? But, is there data to suggest a shorty can produce a more predicable run, thus, giving an advantage when needs to run a specific number?

I always thought the long wheelbase of the dragster had built-in ET, cuz of flexibility, etc etc. But the article did mention that door cars can repeat run after run, so why not a dragster? I dunno if I'd wanna drive a short rear engine car; might prefer a front motor car. ?? Don Garlits once had a shorty T/F car and he hated it. Didn't go straight. I wonder how that car would do today with modern technology? I think he ran 6.30's at 238 with that car.

The length is for flexibility safety, the short wheelbase couldn't handle speeds TF are running now.

Dale Armstrong had a shorty car built for Kenny in 94/95 somewhere, 280"-285". Don't remember the thought behind it, but It wasn't around long.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the last two short wheelbase top fuel cars that I could remember were Arley Langlo and the Bill Miller (cant remember who was driving it)

The length is for flexibility safety, the short wheelbase couldn't handle speeds TF are running now.

Might be right and I'd guess your more knowledgeable than me, but they seem to be able to do ok with 125" funny cars. I realize there are many different factors but I think it could be managed.

Might be right and I'd guess your more knowledgeable than me, but they seem to be able to do ok with 125" funny cars. I realize there are many different factors but I think it could be managed.
Just going by what Bernstein and few others that longer wheel base are more comfortable to drive. Don't know much about dragsters never drove one do know about the building of one. Give me a door car I can help you out been building my own cars since early 70s. Dont claim to be an expert just enjoy building them and love the sport.

Wasn't Eddie Hill's "First in the 4s" car a 280" car?

It might have been. Probably looked a little longer cuz he had the itty bitty wheels on the front. Interesting to me that the 300" cars we have now have had the same length for almost 25 years. So used to them that sometimes they don't look that long.

Just going by what Bernstein and few others that longer wheel base are more comfortable to drive. Don't know much about dragsters never drove one do know about the building of one. Give me a door car I can help you out been building my own cars since early 70s. Dont claim to be an expert just enjoy building them and love the sport.

No question that longer is easier to control, especially in a rear engine car because you have so much car behind you. I would guess there's 60 to 75 inches from the back of the drivers compartment to the centerline of the rear end.

http://garlits.com/portfolio-items/swamp-rat-18/ Here is Garlits' Swamp Rat 18, 1972, 180" wheelbase. Saw this car run 238 at OCIR. Looks really short today. The story I read by Phil Burgess at Dragster Insider said this car was built so Garlits could get used to short wheelbase car. The he built the ill fated streamliner by Jocko. Garlits sold the short car, then years later bought it back & restored it. Look at the front wing.

Judging by the size of the wing he might have thought the front end a little light at speed?

I think it was Diamond Dave Miller
Right you are! Saw Diamond Dave run this car at Indy back in the day.
DD_shorty.jpg

And speaking of different approaches to dragster racing, there's this A/F:
AF.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the size of the wing he might have thought the front end a little light at speed?

Right you are! Saw Diamond Dave run this car at Indy back in the day.
View attachment 5055
And speaking of different approaches to dragster racing, there's this A/F:
View attachment 5056

I have seen both of these cars run. Dave beat Darryl Gwynn at the national event at Firebird one year (big upset) & that little car could pull a mean wheelie. The second car has been around awhile. Don't know who drives it, but have never seen it run a full pass. It would be like driving a jet car, where the driver sits that far forward.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back