Shirley's not happy (1 Viewer)

4onthefl4

Staff member
Nitro Member
I don't think Shirley Muldowney is happy with what drag racing has become. But, it is what it is.

I remember a National Dragster article back in the late 80’s or early 90’s…. something about how Lori Johns seemingly got all the newfound attention over Shirley. Shirl’ wasn’t happy back then either. Sounds more like she has some sour grapes to me. The haves and the have nots. Whatever you want to call it. She never could handle a changing of the guard very graciously.

I remember a National Dragster article back in the late 80’s or early 90’s…. something about how Lori Johns seemingly got all the newfound attention over Shirley. Shirl’ wasn’t happy back then either. Sounds more like she has some sour grapes to me. The haves and the have nots. Whatever you want to call it. She never could handle a changing of the guard very graciously.
Ehh, sje didn't seem all that angry in the interview and she does make some valid points. I think she has more disdain for Hillary Will than Johns. Shirley never had any respect for anyone, especially a female, who didn't come up through the ranks the "hard way" and she always considered Will a silver-spoon girl. I respect Shirley for the trailblazer that she was. Best to leave it there.

Last edited:
OK, I'm at the halfway point on this interview and have to say that I agree with what she's said so far.

Don't know if she's running it, but her Facebook page took a shot at Leah last year too. Trailblazing icon but she sure seems to pick at her fellow ladies.

there are many ways to be competitive and remain on top. For Shirley I think it was always having the chip on her shoulder that gave her the edge. You can understand how the attitude developed as she got treated like a "girl" and not taken seriously by her competitors.

Glad I wasn't the only one to observe/opine on this (on YouTube).
Great respect for what she accomplished - especially in an era when she had to have-some-balls (and a thick skin) - but she never really developed a graceful persona. She had some people to thank along-the-way but, I've never heard her acknowledge anyone but herself.

She's mean as hell too. I was working turnaround @ Huntsville when she had a match race and when she came to a stop and the crew shows up she starts cussing them. The GD clutch is too f&^%$ hard to push and why can't you dumb@$$es do anything right. Loved it. LOL

I respect the barriers she had to bend and break. However, I'm not a big fan of sh**ting all over current drivers and crew members just because the game is played differently. There isn't a champion out there who didn't have to fight through some kind of adversity to get where they are. Just because they may have been a little smarter and found creative ways to bring money to the table or their family is involved.

I respect the barriers she had to bend and break. However, I'm not a big fan of sh**ting all over current drivers and crew members just because the game is played differently. There isn't a champion out there who didn't have to fight through some kind of adversity to get where they are. Just because they may have been a little smarter and found creative ways to bring money to the table or their family is involved.
I agree 100%. You only have to look at John Forces start in racing to validate what you said. I have never seen or heard him throw his crew under the bus. But I have seen him do some pretty nice things for his crew, like giving all of them new tool boxes many years ago.

Last edited:
Ehh, sje didn't seem all that angry in the interview and she does make some valid points. I think she has more disdain for Hillary Will than Johns. Shirley never had any respect for anyone, especially a female, who didn't come up through the ranks the "hard way" and she always considered Will a silver-spoon girl. I respect Shirley for the trailblazer that she was. Best to leave it there.
Anyone that thinks Hillary Will is a silver-spoon girl is an idiot, pure and simple. I went to high school with her dad, who owns a few logging trucks and they choose to spend their disposable income drag racing. She worked in the office doing (I think) accounting at the lumber company I used to work at. Every time I saw her, she was very friendly and pleasant to everyone. I never once heard anyone who actually KNOWS her say a bad word about her. I try to keep my mouth shut on my opinon about Shirley, but she's absolutely wrong about this.

there are many ways to be competitive and remain on top. For Shirley I think it was always having the chip on her shoulder that gave her the edge. You can understand how the attitude developed as she got treated like a "girl" and not taken seriously by her competitors.
Just as an aside, anyone ever think the reason she wasn't treated well might have been HER fault? I never heard Pauly Murphy, or Shirley Shahan or Bunny Burkett play the victim, in interviews, but I never hear anything from Shirley positive.

Anyone that thinks Hillary Will is a silver-spoon girl is an idiot, pure and simple. I went to high school with her dad, who owns a few logging trucks and they choose to spend their disposable income drag racing. She worked in the office doing (I think) accounting at the lumber company I used to work at. Every time I saw her, she was very friendly and pleasant to everyone. I never once heard anyone who actually KNOWS her say a bad word about her. I try to keep my mouth shut on my opinon about Shirley, but she's absolutely wrong about this.
I cant remember why she left kalitta? Was it something with tobler?? Isnt she a teacher now?

Indeed. Big fan of Hillary, myself. Hated to see her leave the sport. This 12 year old NM thread might help explain why she left racing:

I cant remember why she left kalitta? Was it something with tobler?? Isnt she a teacher now?
Here's the story I was told from her grandfather, Connie Will: Ken Black, who was financing the car, originally did not want sponsors on her car. Hillary was approached a few times by sponsors, but Ken said no for whatever reason. Later (probably the sticker shock of running a fuel car) Ken decided they needed sponsor dollars, but by then, the economy had changed and Hillary was on the phone full time trying to secure sponsorship. When none materialized, the car got parked. I believe she left on good terms, just no money to run the car.

Indeed. Big fan of Hillary, myself. Hated to see her leave the sport. This 12 year old NM thread might help explain why she left racing:

I read that entire Hilary Will thread from 2012. I was very surprised how many names/members responded to that thread that are no longer on Nitromater. I wonder where they all went?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back