Santa Pod & European Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

Thanks for your kind words, Jay.

As Andy Willsheer suggests in the article, Santa Pod's management did a tremendous job running socially-distanced shows over so many weekends under the eagle-eyed scrutiny of the local authority, which could have -- and would have -- closed the place down for the slightest infraction. Santa Pod was one of very few venues in the country admitting spectators through those weeks -- one or two smaller race circuits were the only others, drawing tiny crowds anyway which could be easily spaced. Soccer grounds are only starting to admit spectators now, and in minimally small numbers.

Thanks Robin. This whole covid thing is crazy. Hang in there & I hope you get running on a normal basis soon.

My gal and I have been discussing a trip to the U.K. for a while... What is the standout show to see at Santa Pod? Sounds like it's probably Round 6 of the FIA Series, but are there any other must-see shows? Any close together so we could do more than one?

edit; ...assuming normal life resumes...

Last edited:
My gal and I have been discussing a trip to the U.K. for a while... What is the standout show to see at Santa Pod? Sounds like it's probably Round 6 of the FIA Series, but are there any other must-see shows? Any close together so we could do more than one?

edit; ...assuming normal life resumes...

Hockenheim in Germany, and two weeks later the Finals at Santa Pod. In the week gap between those two events you can do non race related stuff.

Robin, would I be correct that England was the first country outside the USA that had drag racing? Like going back to 1963, more or less? I remember the USA Drag Team going to England. Garlits, Ivo, Dante Duce in the Mooneyes car. Maybe Sox & Martin??? Don't remember all of them. I think the team went 2 years in a row. One year, Tony Nancy went with his (then radical) back motor Top Gas dragster. Then after England, Australia & then Europe?? They even have drags in Russia. Saw a web site that showed photos, Pro Mod would be the top class there. I think a few Europeans have run their cars at tracks there. Malta seems to be a hot spot for drag racing. Brazil also.

Hockenheim in Germany, and two weeks later the Finals at Santa Pod. In the week gap between those two events you can do non race related stuff.

Mark:
Michael.V has been here, seen it, done it, and makes a good suggestion. The FIA dates for 2021 have recently been announced. Hockenheim's NitrOlympX (FIA Round 5) is scheduled for Fri.27-Sun.29 August. Santa Pod's European Finals (FIA Round 6) is indeed two weekends later, Thu.9-Sun.12 September.

FIA Round 1, Santa Pod's The Main Event, is scheduled for Fri.28-Mon.31 May (Monday is a bank holiday).

Keep an eye on Eurodragster.com for further news. Let me know if you have further questions, reach any decisions.

Cliff:
I don't know for sure whether we had the first drag racing outside the US. Maybe Australia got there before us (?). Although if you count the reported "acceleration contests" at the Bexhill Speed Trials in the early 1900s, and something similar along the Blackpool sea front promenade maybe in the 1920s (mentioned in National Dragster during the 1980s, if I remember), we may have got there ahead of anyone.

However, drag racing as we know it began in the UK with Sydney Allard's dragster, built in 1961 from a plan found in Hot Rod of The Greek's car (The Greek's car! Can you believe he's only just retired??) It was an old copy of the mag so the car was already out of date in a time of fast-moving change, plus it was further hampered by having to conform to Royal Automobile Club regulations (eg front brakes, covered body) which did not comprehend the existence of such vehicles. Allard's car was restored to working order recently and now resides in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. I took Roland Leong and Bob McClurg to see it when they visited three years ago. A couple of other dragsters were built around the same time as Allard's, notably by the pioneer Allan Herridge.

Allard brought over Dean Moon and Dante Duce to run at the Brighton Speed Trials in 1963. When Mickey Thompson heard, he brought himself over and muscled in on the scene, to most people's delight. In 1964 and 1965, Allard partnered with Wally Parks to promote the International Drag Festivals, running on various airfield sites around the country. The '64 tour included Garlits, Ivo, Bob Keith, Tony Nancy, Ohio George Montgomery, KS Pittman, Sox&Martin, Strickler&Jenkins, Dante Duce, Doug Church, and Bill Woods and Don Hyland on bikes. The 1965 tour included the likes of Danny Ongais, Buddy Cortines, Ben Griffin and others, plus Nancy and Bob Keith returning. The '64 tour was highly successful but '65 was largely rained off.

On Easter Monday 1966, a separate business group opened Santa Pod Raceway ('Santa' to evoke Southern California, 'Pod' for the name of the airfield and nearby village, Podington) as Europe's first permanent dragstrip. With supreme, sad irony, Sydney Allard died the very next day, aged just 56.

While today's FIA rounds are limited to Britain, Sweden, Finland and Germany, there is drag racing on a smaller scale all over the continent. Our FIA rounds at Santa Pod typically draw 16 or 17 different nationalities. In 2016 we had our first Pro Mod entry from Kuwait and in 2019 our first Russian. Thank goodness most of these foreigners speak better English than we do. And yes, the Maltese are great drag racers, and they know how to party in the pits after a win.

Thanks Robin. Great info. I have seen a lot of videos of the tracks that run the European circuit, especially Santa Pod. Saw videos of Hockenheim & the announcers were speaking German & English. I do have a problem converting KPH to MPH; was told Europeans got really excited the first time someone ran 500 KPH. Big barrier to them. Well, I can always go on line & get a conversion chart.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back