Ryan Newman (1 Viewer)

Leebone

Nitro Member
I know NASCAR isn't our sport, but that was a horrible crash! In all auto sports you take your risks! I'm glad he will be okay. He may be hurting for a while, but he's alive. That's the most important thing!

That was a scary one and all the secrecy after made it seem like the worst news was coming. They still haven't given any details on injuries which is worrisome. Reminded of the Koretsky/Allen pro stock crash several years ago.

Glad he is ok

I received this last night.

Latest update. My friend sent me this. We just got an update from Newman's dad: Ryan is sitting up and awake and alert, bleeding is in front of head but controllable, bruising on top and left side of head pretty badly, hasnt attempted to walk yet but doctors dont think he will have an issue. Remaining in ICU for tonight

Please keep Ryan and his family your thoughts and prayers......

Daytona is the only NASCAR race I will watch, only because I got to take a lap in the pace car in mid 1988.
Newman's wreck was absolutely brutal. It made me sick to see it happen in real time. I just knew I had watched somebody get killed. Side impacts are the worst. You could see his car bend in the middle.
When the black screens were set up, my stomach sank. Then, hearing Jeff Gordon on the verge of tears when signing off the broadcast, that added to the worry.
NASCAR's twitter feed blew up with people complaining about not getting updates within a half hour of the wreck. Today's HIPAA laws prevent any release of a patient's condition unless the patient or a family rep allows the release. Even then, the rep must have permission from the patient for the release.
But, the fact Newman is awake and talking is a very good sign.

Shared this morning by the official Roush Fenway Racing page:

1582131663389.png

In the last 36hrs I've had emotions reach opposite ends. My kids raced Quarter Midgets with Ryan so I've known
him since he was a kid. It really hurt Monday night thinking the worst had happened. I kept thinking about the time we all
went to Daytona, We went to New Smyrna Speedway to watch Super Modifieds he sitting next to me said Someday I'm going
to drive one of those. Today is a wonderful day.

I know NASCAR isn't our sport, but that was a horrible crash! In all auto sports you take your risks! I'm glad he will be okay. He may be hurting for a while, but he's alive. That's the most important thing!
Pushing isn't racing and Nascar needs to stop it on 2+ mile tracks or someone will get killed. They need push setup where they can pass would be better racing fun ti watch

i agree, i think you will see penalties for touching/bumping cars at speed at daytona and talladega. i also think they need to lower trunk lid. less air under rear end when a car comes around.
it's a testament to how these cars are built rite now that allowed ryan to live. thank goodness for that.

i agree, i think you will see penalties for touching/bumping cars at speed at daytona and talladega. i also think they need to lower trunk lid. less air under rear end when a car comes around.
it's a testament to how these cars are built rite now that allowed ryan to live. thank goodness for that.
I agree cars are built well, luck has part of equation if Lajoie had hit hit him a few inches further back the outcome might have been different. I remember race at Pocono when Mark Martin hit the end of retaining wall pit side behind Dr seat I think Mark finally decided it's time to retire.

I agree cars are built well, luck has part of equation if Lajoie had hit hit him a few inches further back the outcome might have been different. I remember race at Pocono when Mark Martin hit the end of retaining wall pit side behind Dr seat I think Mark finally decided it's time to retire.
for sure jesse. when you think back to how simple the cockpit was when earnhardt died, vs. what you see now. same cars. same motors. same speed.....but now you have additional rollcage
construction. probably better window nets. they moved the driver towards center of car. molded seat. seat with head wrap around structure with padding......and then you get to the
head and neck restraint sytems. what a HUGE difference the last 20 years have brought. and you're rite, there's always an element of luck.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back