Roy Hill Working Overtime to Beat the Heat in Bristol (1 Viewer)

(6-16-2011) BRISTOL, TN – There’s a popular saying in the Southeast that spring usually only lasts about a week before the heat of summer takes over.

That has certainly been the case this year, and it threw drag racing icon Roy Hill a curveball when trying to setup his Coca-Cola/Alsco Ford Mustang Cobra Jet Super Stocker for increased performance, beginning with the 11th annual Ford NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway in Bristol, TN.

“We had a good outing at our last race in Atlanta,” said Hill. “I won class eliminations and Grant Lewis, driving the team’s second Phoenix Racing Cobra Jet, qualified number one and went to the semifinals.”

“It’s gotten really hot since then,” the Sophia, NC-based driver continued. “So we’ve been doing a lot of testing at Piedmont Dragway, and we’ve made some engine changes in the Coca-Cola car to try to get it sped up to match the performance of the Phoenix car. The car just slowed down with all the heat, and we’re trying to bring it back.”

In addition to changes under the hood, the team has also been experimenting with different tire combinations and feel like they’ve found some answers there as well.

“Goodyear has a great radial tire, but you have to hook the tire to really make it work,” the legendary drag racing school owner said. “We’ve gone back and forth between a bias tire and a radial tire, and we now know the radial tire is about a tenth of a second quicker.”

Besides supplying the rubber for the James Finch-owned team, Goodyear will have an expanded role with the second Cobra Jet over the next several national events.

“We’re going to have Grant Lewis behind the wheel of the Phoenix Racing car again this weekend, and starting in Bristol, the Phoenix car is going to be the Goodyear car,” Hill said. “Last year, we won Super Stock B/Automatic in Indy with Goodyear all over the Cobra Jet, so we got together and said, ‘why don’t we do it again?’”

With Ford being the title sponsor of this race and a major supporter of Roy Hill’s racing programs throughout the years, Hill has all the motivation he needs to put a Ford Mustang Cobra Jet in the winner’s circle.

“It would be extra sweet to win this race for Ford and everyone that helps me out,” Hill concluded. “I would certainly dedicate a win to my good friend Jeff Byrd, who lost his battle with cancer last year. He was instrumental in the growth of Bristol Dragway and our sport as a whole, and we’re really going to miss him.”

Visit Roy Hill for more information about Roy Hill’s Drag Racing School and the team’s 2011 plans.

Attachments

• roy_hill_bristol_preview_small.jpg
    roy_hill_bristol_preview_small.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 7
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back