Roush Mustangs OK'd for NHRA racing (1 Viewer)

That's what I keep hearing the last few months, but I can tell you that NOBODY talked about it back then or even in the years since. I mean, we learned about 2% cars, the acid dipped cars, and other exotics but I can only remember one car popping up back then.

It was purported to be one of one, built for someone with really close ties to Chrysler. Was it Marvin Graham?

Back room stuff like the original A body M code cars (440 ci) even made it into print back in the day. Why the silence and lack of tests? I can tell you that I never saw one on a drag strip and I kept a close eye on all things Mopar back then.

The only Hemi cars I saw in 1965 were AFX cars, handbuilt just like the NASCAR cars were. They weren't even legal for S/S.

And to be clear, I'm not questioning S/S packages like the Hemi Darts and Barracudas or the Hurst AMX. I'm talking about RPO cars that are legal for stock, assembly line produced.

If Mopar is now saying that all the NASCAR hemis had Hemi fender tags and went down the assembly line before they went to the various race shops, from what I can tell it's a revamp of history that Pravda would be proud of.

I'm not saying that Chrysler didn't legally homologate the package for Cup racing, but I never saw any research that Joe Public could walk into Hodges Dodges and buy one.

Not wanting to start a fight, I'm just sayin'. ;)

Dan,
By all means dont forget the 65 A990 Super Stock package.
In 1966 a friend raced a 66 street hemi Plymouth with a single four barrel carb in the stock classes, this car did NOT come from Mopar with a single carb but AHRA allowed it to race in stock because supposidly they could be purchased this way. He got the setup through Sox and Martin and it had to have all the proper mopar part numbers to be legal.
I agree 100% with you about the legality of this setup as I never have seen any Hemi sold to the public, 426 style, with a single four barrel.
Just goes to show that games have been played with the rules for many, many years!:confused:

Thanks for the responses so I know I'm not totally nuts.

Back in the 60's I was racing AHRA but spectated at Indy and various other tracks as much as I could.

One big difference with IHRA and AHRA was that they allowed a zillion carb/intake combinations compared to the NHRA. My yardstick for a true trivia nut is anyone who can recite what each AHRA Formula meant. The story of the 66 car with a parts counter intake makes total sense.

FWIW, I actually built a four door Malibu LS-6, as it was legal in AHRA. As I remember the difference over a two door was +40 pounds and -.8 second in the national record. By the time I got it finished, AHRA was gone so it became a street warrior wearing bottlecap hubcaps and the quietest mufflers I could find from a Corvair Turbo.

However, I'm not sure the NHRA ever allowed such combinations in Stock. A good example is the cross-ram for early Z-28s. I honestly don't remember anyone running one in Stock. Was it legal?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back