Roush Mustangs OK'd for NHRA racing (1 Viewer)

Don't they have a proof reader? NRHA?

Regardless..it's nice to see Roush involved again.

Don't they have a proof reader? NRHA?

I know David. It seems to be the new norm for the printed media. You should see the Letters to the Editor about this subject, in one of the papers I read everyday.

Either they don't know any better, or they don't care. In any case, the next generation will probably not even notice this stuff. :p

It was announced at the Etown points race that a comp racer is going to be driving one of these next year in stock. I'm not mentioning names until I see him in the car in the staging lanes, because you never know what's going to happen with a factory deal. But if you go to drag race central and check out who was driving what in comp at that points race, you'll probably figure out whi it is.

I'd love to see Force get one of those for Alan Reinhart to drive at points races next year and also have one of the young guns in stock from the west coast drive it at National Events.

I guess I have mixed emotions about this. While I'm pleased to see Roush having a presence once again I'm not sure what this actually means. Is there no longer a minimum amount of cars built for legality?

What Roush is doing isn't new, but his predecessors weren't allowed entry into the stock classes. I'm thinking of the Dana/Nickey/Harrell/Yenko Chevrolets, the Mr. Norm Mopars, and even the AMC dealer in Arizona who was building 401 inch Hornets.

And that opens up another can of worms. There were a lot of good parts that never made it onto the production line. Packages included the Stage 2 Buick, LS-7 454 Chevy, and probably a bunch more that's slipped my minds. While the factories never produced a turnkey car, any dealer could have installed the parts and sold the cars on a MSO. Do these cars get to race now?

I'm still puzzled about David Barton's 65 Coronet Hemi car, by the way. While I was told that Mopar provided a letter that a single carb Hemi was indeed a production line option I never saw or heard of any during my hard core musclecar days.

I guess I should be happy that the manufacturers are interested enough to "play games" again, but this IS Nitromater and there will be b!tching. :D

Have they determined what Class they'll run under?

Here's part of a press release from Roush:

LIVONIA, Mich. – Historically, the National Hot Rod Association has only approved powertrains for competition as they come from the factories in Detroit, but all that changed with the recent approval of the 2008 ROUSH® supercharged 4.6L V-8 in the Stage 3 and P-51A Mustangs. It is believed that this is the first time the NHRA has approved an aftermarket powertrain for competition.

The ROUSH® Mustangs will be allowed in the NHRA Stock and SuperStock categories as determined by the horsepower and shipping weight of the two vehicles. Coupe or convertible chassis will be allowed with a horsepower of 430 for the Stage 3 and 510 for the P-51A. The shipping weight of the ROUSH® coupes is 3316 pounds, while a convertible weighs in at 3443 pounds.

Depending on the combination of coupe or convertible and the ROUSH® Stage 3 or P-51A powertrain, the cars would be classified between AA Stock and B Stock or SuperStock A and F. For further details regarding the authorized modifications and safety requirements consult the NHRA rule book or visit NHRA.com.

It is anticipated that the first team to campaign a ROUSH® Mustang in NHRA competition will be Haas, Carrothers & Wagner Racing. The team, which has won three consecutive NHRA Division 3 championships (2004-2006), is currently building a ROUSH® Mustang with a Stage 3 powertrain.

(end of quote)

How are the blower cars going to be teched for boost, or can they run whatever? Does this mean the Corvette ZR-1 can also run with its blower?

I agree about the tech headaches, but this might get interesting.

Last edited:
I guess I have mixed emotions about this. While I'm pleased to see Roush having a presence once again I'm not sure what this actually means. Is there no longer a minimum amount of cars built for legality?

What Roush is doing isn't new, but his predecessors weren't allowed entry into the stock classes. I'm thinking of the Dana/Nickey/Harrell/Yenko Chevrolets, the Mr. Norm Mopars, and even the AMC dealer in Arizona who was building 401 inch Hornets.

And that opens up another can of worms. There were a lot of good parts that never made it onto the production line. Packages included the Stage 2 Buick, LS-7 454 Chevy, and probably a bunch more that's slipped my minds. While the factories never produced a turnkey car, any dealer could have installed the parts and sold the cars on a MSO. Do these cars get to race now?

I'm still puzzled about David Barton's 65 Coronet Hemi car, by the way. While I was told that Mopar provided a letter that a single carb Hemi was indeed a production line option I never saw or heard of any during my hard core musclecar days.

I guess I should be happy that the manufacturers are interested enough to "play games" again, but this IS Nitromater and there will be b!tching. :D

Dan, I'm with you on this one, but since Stock and SuperStock are really only bracket classes now days (with the exception of class eliminations) I guess it really doesn't make much difference what the NHRA sticks in those classes. Car counts being what they are, I would think you could pretty much lobby the NHRA for any outlandish combination, including those you mentioned, and get them to legalize it. With the problems the NHRA tech dept. has with those classes right now, (ie: replacement engine parts, carbs, etc.) I can see them tossing class eliminations, so that tech is not necessary and they just dial 'em in and let 'em race.

If you are afraid that the good old days of Stock and SuperStock are gone........well, you are just showing your age old buddy!:D

Pat

Pat

Dan, I'm with you on this one, but since Stock and SuperStock are really only bracket classes now days (with the exception of class eliminations) I guess it really doesn't make much difference what the NHRA sticks in those classes. Car counts being what they are, I would think you could pretty much lobby the NHRA for any outlandish combination, including those you mentioned, and get them to legalize it. With the problems the NHRA tech dept. has with those classes right now, (ie: replacement engine parts, carbs, etc.) I can see them tossing class eliminations, so that tech is not necessary and they just dial 'em in and let 'em race.

If you are afraid that the good old days of Stock and SuperStock are gone........well, you are just showing your age old buddy!:D

Pat

Pat

Yea I agree with the thoughts.

Didnt NHRA just allow Sport Compact cars to run in S/S?

Pat

You're too right, my friend.

I wonder what geezers will be using as "the good old days" twenty years from now. "It was a LIQUID ya damn fool! We didn't plug nothin in to get our cars to go - we poured the stuff in and we LIKED IT!"

How about that new Hemi Challenger "Drag Pack" that you can buy direct from Mopar for about 90K for competing in SS. It will be cool to see that line up against one of the Roush cars. Modern factory pony cars going head-to-head on the drag strip?!?!?! What a novel idea.

Dan, I'm with you on this one, but since Stock and SuperStock are really only bracket classes now days (with the exception of class eliminations) I guess it really doesn't make much difference what the NHRA sticks in those classes.

There are lots of head-ups races these days during stock eliminations since NHRA combined the car and EFI classes. Lee Zane had 3 of them in the course of winning Atlanta this year, including the semis and the final. Peter Biondo may well have lost the world championship when he went out in the first round at the Etown pts race last year in a heads-up race and Anthony Fetch's chances were hurt last Sunday when he suffered the same fate in the first round.

How about that new Hemi Challenger "Drag Pack" that you can buy direct from Mopar for about 90K for competing in SS. It will be cool to see that line up against one of the Roush cars. Modern factory pony cars going head-to-head on the drag strip?!?!?! What a novel idea.

Let's put a huffer on the HEMI and show 'em what some Dodge tail lights look like! :D

The new Challenger for drag racing use is only around 30K,not 90K.

The 1965 single 4bbl hemi is a legal combo as Chrysler offered it as a stock car package.

I think the Ford will be very competitive and wonder what GM will have for a package car with the Camaro.

Of course history will repeat itself again and the Dodge will be heavily factored,just to "even the playing field".:rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if Jack Roush's daughter pulls in somewhere with 2 of them in a stacker. I saw her running super street at a points meet a couple of months ago.

The 1965 single 4bbl hemi is a legal combo as Chrysler offered it as a stock car package.

That's what I keep hearing the last few months, but I can tell you that NOBODY talked about it back then or even in the years since. I mean, we learned about 2% cars, the acid dipped cars, and other exotics but I can only remember one car popping up back then.

It was purported to be one of one, built for someone with really close ties to Chrysler. Was it Marvin Graham?

Back room stuff like the original A body M code cars (440 ci) even made it into print back in the day. Why the silence and lack of tests? I can tell you that I never saw one on a drag strip and I kept a close eye on all things Mopar back then.

The only Hemi cars I saw in 1965 were AFX cars, handbuilt just like the NASCAR cars were. They weren't even legal for S/S.

And to be clear, I'm not questioning S/S packages like the Hemi Darts and Barracudas or the Hurst AMX. I'm talking about RPO cars that are legal for stock, assembly line produced.

If Mopar is now saying that all the NASCAR hemis had Hemi fender tags and went down the assembly line before they went to the various race shops, from what I can tell it's a revamp of history that Pravda would be proud of.

I'm not saying that Chrysler didn't legally homologate the package for Cup racing, but I never saw any research that Joe Public could walk into Hodges Dodges and buy one.

Not wanting to start a fight, I'm just sayin'. ;)

Last edited:
I agree Dan, even Mopar guys haven't known about single 4 Hemi's.
The Roush Mustang and the Challengers do make me wonder if older cars like that will be grandfathered into Stock? I think Roush built V8 Pinto's in the early 70's though i'm not sure one would win a heads up AA/S race with a Motion 454 Vega.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back