Ronnie Humphrey Claims Provisional No. 1 Position in Houston (1 Viewer)

Event: 24th annual NHRA Spring Nationals

Day/Date: Friday, April 29, 2011

Ronnie Humphrey added a new accomplishment to his racing resume on Friday, capturing the provisional No. 1 position during Friday’s opening day of qualifying at the NHRA Spring Nationals in Houston, Texas. On his first attempt on Friday afternoon, Humphrey covered the quarter-mile in 6.571 seconds, which tied Rodger Brogdon for the quickest among the 18 cars attempting to qualify, with Humphrey gaining the top spot based on his better top speed of 211.16 mph. This marks the first time in his Pro Stock career that the Jacksonville, NC native has occupied the No. 1 position, an experience he hopes to extend through tomorrow’s final two qualifying sessions at Royal Purple Raceway.

“The Summit/Genuine Hotrod Hardware Pontiac made two perfect runs today,” said Humphrey. “Although we’re hoping to go even faster tomorrow, it was an awesome first day of qualifying for us here in Houston. I’ve been in drag racing for a long time, but this is the first time I’ve ever been in the No. 1 position, so I want to thank my dad, Troy Humphrey and my Troy Humphrey Motorsports team, as well as Greg Anderson, Jason Line and the KB Racing team. They’ve got three awesome race cars, and I’ve been given the golden opportunity to drive one of them.

“With a morning session tomorrow, I’m not sure if that time will hold, but I think we have a little bit left, so we’re going to do our best to hold on to that top spot. We have a lot of data from all three cars, so we will be ready for the last two sessions as well as race day. After all, this is a new experience for me, and I just hope that it gets repeated tomorrow.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back