Roger Brogdon Crash at Topeka (1 Viewer)

First off I hope Roger will be alright and not too sore because that was a nasty hit. I'm guessing something broke because that car did not make any move until it snapped to the left. I also hope that car is repairable because that was a neat car.

Reminiscent of Kurt Johnson's finish-line crash years ago when it appeared he locked up the carbon fiber brakes, instantly turning the car sideways. Might be the case here.

Reminiscent of Kurt Johnson's finish-line crash years ago when it appeared he locked up the carbon fiber brakes, instantly turning the car sideways. Might be the case here.
Interesting that you bring that up. In the video, the announcer says the win light to Brogdon. Watching the video, the win light was on for Brogdon prior to him hitting the wall. However in the results, they gave Mike DePalma the win and he lost in the final round. Did they DQ Brogdon for excessive braking? He obviously won the round and in this situation they would not insert the loser unless there was a DQ. I just don’t remember ever seeing that happen before.

Roger hadn't touched the brakes or pulled the parachute when the car made an abrupt left. The initial diagnosis is something broke on the car, turning it sideways.
Do you know any Mike De Palma moved onto the next round instead of Brogdon? Or did Brogdon make contact with the wall prior to crossing the finish line?

My guess is it was fuel/weight related. In Comp Eliminator, you still have to submit fuel and weigh in after each round win. In crash situations, NHRA usually has a little bit of forgiveness/wiggle room. For example, when a fuel funny car wins and grenades the motor in the lights shredding the body into a million pieces, they don't require the team to find all of the small pieces to weigh the car in. They weigh the car as is and add the amount of weight the body would normally be.

I don't believe Brogdon is in a full out chase for points or the championship. If this is true, and his car was on a flatbed trailer, I'm sure he wasn't in any hurry to either submit fuel or attempt to get it weighed in. If we know for sure he wasn't DQ'd for excessive braking, then my guess is he told DePalma he wasn't going to submit fuel or weigh in as a gesture of sportsmanship since he was done for the day, or, he was so angry about the crash, he said, "F*** it, I'm outta here," which led to him being DQ'd and DePalma reinstated. Again, just a guess, I don't have any first hand knowledge of the situation.

Mike is listed as the winner and Brogdon was DQ according to results on Drag Race Central

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back