Rockingham (1 Viewer)

jgrigz

Nitro Member
I see that the new owners have made a major investment in the Rockingham facility. Could a NHRA national event be in their future or will the two races at Zmax rule that out?

With Zmax being 90 miles away, I doubt you'll see another national event there. The market is already saturated with 2 events at Zmax already.

I'm curious if NHRA would allow fuel cars so close to the spectators? One side is right on the track

Last edited:
how many years did nhra run 'the winston' there? mid 90's before it moved to the new bristol?
good to see new money @ the rock.

how many years did nhra run 'the winston' there? mid 90's before it moved to the new bristol?
good to see new money @ the rock.
Not sure at least a few I think. Good times back then for sure. I was at all of them.

IHRA used to run Top Fuel at Rockingham in the 2000s.
Oh yeah I grew up going there in the 80s-90s. The trend now is the get the spectators a little
Farther from the track it seems. Just wondering if insurance etc would be an issue now

Oh yeah I grew up going there in the 80s-90s. The trend now is the get the spectators a little
Farther from the track it seems. Just wondering if insurance etc would be an issue now
I've never heard that one before. Maybe for a new track being built, but for an existing track I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker. Especially if the track has had nitro cars there before.

What I was told, tracks with an acceptable amount of acreage are a big problem. Then the facilities and the access to the track. There aren't many that can meet the criteria.

I've never heard that one before. Maybe for a new track being built, but for an existing track I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker. Especially if the track has had nitro cars there before.

What I was told, tracks with an acceptable amount of acreage are a big problem. Then the facilities and the access to the track. There aren't many that can meet the criteria.
I could be way off. Heard that a long time ago from somewhere. No idea where. There were 3-4 TF blowers in a year or so and somebody mentioned that. I heard it too when a FC body landed pretty far outside the guard walls in the grass. Would have been halfway up in the stands. Would love to see fuel cars back there though for sure. Great track and usually great air

I could be way off. Heard that a long time ago from somewhere. No idea where. There were 3-4 TF blowers in a year or so and somebody mentioned that. I heard it too when a FC body landed pretty far outside the guard walls in the grass. Would have been halfway up in the stands. Would love to see fuel cars back there though for sure. Great track and usually great air
You're not off. I would think whenever something like that happens, there would need to be a discussion. However, if you look at the amount cars and debris that gets really close to spectators at other forms of racing series, I'm not sure what can be done.

Our second top fuel win in IHRA was at The Rock. It would be fun to go back there. Plus, my little brother and cousin live in Charlotte now.

You're not off. I would think whenever something like that happens, there would need to be a discussion. However, if you look at the amount cars and debris that gets really close to spectators at other forms of racing series, I'm not sure what can be done.

Our second top fuel win in IHRA was at The Rock. It would be fun to go back there. Plus, my little brother and cousin live in Charlotte now.
Yeah I agree with you. Be tough to do much really. That’s prob my favorite track. Seen a lot of great racing there. Especially pro mod

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back