Robert Hight Throttle Bump (1 Viewer)

More like has the time come for a minimum clearance between the body and the linkage. Can be checked easily with a Go/NoGo block when the body is raised to that point and twisted. Firesuit is NO help if you get run over. Other crew members can be clear as the body is lowered.
There is a minimum clearance dictated by NHRA

There is a minimum clearance dictated by NHRA
Yes - But that is when closed. I said "Can be checked easily with a Go/NoGo block when the body is raised to that point and twisted". Nobody wants a big gap around the Injector but it beats the Hell out of having a passenger on the hood. They clearenced more on Height's car this week and it didn't seem to hurt him very much did it?

Last edited:
Yes - But that is when closed. I said "Can be checked easily with a Go/NoGo block when the body is raised to that point and twisted". Nobody wants a big gap around the Injector but it beats the Hell out of having a passenger on the hood. They clearenced more on Height's car this week and it didn't seem to hurt him very much did it?
So let me get this straight....you want part of the tech process the funny car teams go through to be one of their crew members lifting the body up and trying to twist it off the body mounts as far as they possibly can to see if this minimum accepted clearance number is not exceeded?

So let me get this straight....you want part of the tech process the funny car teams go through to be one of their crew members lifting the body up and trying to twist it off the body mounts as far as they possibly can to see if this minimum accepted clearance number is not exceeded?
Actually I don't want anything. I was just pointing out that the clearence is not the same with the body down as it is raising or lowering it when it passes the linkage point. On national TV last week I think it was Hood that suggested having two people raise & lower the body because they flex so much now being carbon fiber and move on the mounting points with the Motor running. It seems to me that a better way to fix a problem (If it is a problem) is for a Tech guy to spend maybe a couple of minutes checking this once and possibly tagging it for the season or until the body is changed and then retag it.

Actually I don't want anything. I was just pointing out that the clearence is not the same with the body down as it is raising or lowering it when it passes the linkage point. On national TV last week I think it was Hood that suggested having two people raise & lower the body because they flex so much now being carbon fiber and move on the mounting points with the Motor running. It seems to me that a better way to fix a problem (If it is a problem) is for a Tech guy to spend maybe a couple of minutes checking this once and possibly tagging it for the season or until the body is changed and then retag it.
Or how about the person lowering it , go a little slower and watch the opening as they go down. I saw several replays of it and the crew member was not watching it. Also he went down awful fast. Just my opinion though.

How about NHRA make a rule that once the driver is strapped in the body is shut and it doesn't come up again until after the run is over and the engine is off. This would require an onboard starter or starting system modification but so what funny cars are heavier anyways.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back