Robert Hight Throttle Bump (1 Viewer)

As someone who use to lower the body on funny cars, I came down a lot slower than that. I was taught from the beginning to watch the opening as you went down over the injector. Not saying that is what happened for sure, but if it was hopefully a learning moment for some.

I had a great view of Venables being run over.
Blew his pants right off.
It looked BAD.
Just happy he was OK.

Lowering the body on The Invader was the one job I would not do. We had the young guy on the team doing that.
I pulled the mag wire and jumped back.
I cringe every time I watch somebody lowering a funny car body.

I always thought that raising the body had more risk than lowering the body. One thing that stood out after this incident was as soon as the win light came on I saw most of Capps' team run over to check on Hight's team, that was really classy.
Guido and Medlen have a long history with the guys over there. It's a small community.

Most people noticed the guy lowering the body almost getting run over, and rightfully so, but I think the guy standing by the headers received the worst injuries. It looks like he's going to latch down the emergency hatch when the blip happens. The flames burned right through his shirt and I'm guessing burned his arm and the right side of his abdomen. Hope both of them are doing okay...

Most people noticed the guy lowering the body almost getting run over, and rightfully so, but I think the guy standing by the headers received the worst injuries. It looks like he's going to latch down the emergency hatch when the blip happens. The flames burned right through his shirt and I'm guessing burned his arm and the right side of his abdomen. Hope both of them are doing okay...
The spill plate got him (Bob) too.
Thankful all around.

Last edited:
When we fans said we wanted more throttle whacks, we didn't mean on the starting line...
Yeah, we do. Just not with crew members in front of the car and not from the body snagging the injector linkage. Everyone here who's been around awhile fondly remembers the FC's of the 70s and 80s "barking" at one another in a show of staging badassery.
That crew member is a lucky duck - the body could have just as easily jammed the linkage wide open before either a startled Hight or the crew chief been able to shut the car off.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back