Hight Looking To Rise Again In Phoenix (1 Viewer)

YORBA LINDA, CA (February 20, 2013) --- Last year Robert Hight and the Auto Club Mustang started the season as the No. 1 qualifier at the Winternationals in Pomona only to fall in the first round to rookie Todd Lesenko. As the team headed to Firebird Raceway outside of Phoenix they focused on regrouping and putting the Auto Club Mustang in the winner’s circle. They were successful winning for the first time in 2012 and starting a four race winning streak in the process.

This year Hight’s Auto Club Mustang wasn’t the quickest Funny Car in the field last week but it showed flashes of promise before dropping a tire-smoking pedal-fest with Cruz Pedregon in the opening session. Once again Hight and crew chief Jimmy Prock roll into Phoenix with their eyes set on qualifying strong and going rounds on Sunday.

“Getting the win at Firebird last year was big for our team. We got some momentum and we carried it for the next four races. This year I think we can get that momentum again. I am glad to be going right back to the race track after our weekend in Pomona. We put that race behind us and Jimmy learned some things which we will try this weekend,” said Hight.

The 2012 win was Hight’s first win at Firebird after two previous final round appearances (2008 and 2007). Hight has only lost in the first round one time at Firebird back in 2006 when Hight’s Auto Club Mustang smoked the tires against Tommy Johnson Jr. It was an unexpected turn of events considering Hight was the higher seeded Funny Car.

Once again the Funny Car category has to be considered tougher than ever. Sophomore driver and JFR teammate Courtney Force took the top qualifying honors in Pomona and then proceeded to win the race outrunning perennial championship contender Ron Capps in the final. Veteran Del Worsham returned to the driver’s seat along with a tough teammate Alexis DeJoria for Kalitta Racing. Hight also has to deal with 15-time Funny Car champion John Force who has teamed up with crew chief Mike Neff to form a devastating combination.

“You are not going to get any easy round wins in Funny Car. The only advantage you have by being in the top half of the field is lane choice. The performance difference from top to bottom is negligible. When over half the field is running 4.0s you better have your game face on when you roll up to the starting line. In the first round in Pomona Cruz and I both went up in smoke because we knew you have to have a strong tune up,” said Hight.

Last year en route to his first victory in the desert Hight had to beat three Fords and the Dodge of Johnny Gray. It was a tough day outrunning Bob Tasca III, Courtney Force and then Mike Neff in the final. That kind of tough field awaits Hight and the Auto Club team as they try to move into the top ten and secure a spot in the Traxxas Shootout with a win on Sunday.

“This season is long and you can’t let yourself get too down if you don’t have success in Pomona. Of course you want to win every race but here are seventeen more races before the Countdown starts. You want to get into the top ten and then make a strong run over the last six races of the season. That is what wins Mello Yello championships. I won the first Full Throttle Funny Car championship and my goal is to be the first Mello Yello champion,” concluded Hight.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back