Robert Hight explosion (1 Viewer)

I wonder if his hands didn’t get a bit singed. That was a brutal wreck.
Thank goodness for the roll cage padding that is a product of the Eric Medlen Project.

The view from the top end camera to me shows when Robert's head was rattling back and forth you saw the top of his helmet like he was knocked out. At the time I thought it wasn't good that the top end camera shot was not part of the replays.

Agreed, and I was getting nervous with the cameras only filming everyone on the starting line, they didn't start showing anything downtrack until Robert got out. It was a big relief to see him get out and walk around.

Yeah I got real nervous when they weren't showing what was going on, glad he's alright

It's that cheaper & safer 1,000 ft. racing :rolleyes:
I think NHRA didn't anticipate that if they gave them a shorter track, they'd tune with a shorter fuse.

I said many years ago they needed to addresss the body leaving the track before someone is hurt or killed. I'm not bashing the NHRA just wondering how much internal conversation there has been had over it. Seems there are too many smart people running the cars to not find a solution. I know the tether idea was being used. Not sure how many are still. Maybe a retractable coil and spring cable attached to the chassis to slow the body down when it leaves? Attached just like the tethers but the cable wouldn't have to be tight?

I would think that would create a case of the tail wagging the dog. Having the body flailing about back there would probably make the chassis pretty hard to control at higher speeds.

In all fairness, what would be happening in 1320 ft after 10 years of progress?

the flying parts would be 320 feet further down the track.....away from precious things like Sunoco Vision, inflatable ads, and.....spectators....

Putting on my "arm chair crew chief" hat, I feel that there needs to be some research done around pressure release mechanisms or burst panels in locations other than the current location. NHRA implemented the dual latches, I believe, to reduce the bodies flying off but all it has proven is that it does an excellent job of keeping the front of the body attached.

It's racing and it's violent so NHRA and the teams can't solve for every problem, it is what it is. I just think that with all of the advancements in technology, computer modeling, etc, there has to be better set up for burst panels other than the 30 year old technology being used.

Putting on my "arm chair crew chief" hat, I feel that there needs to be some research done around pressure release mechanisms or burst panels in locations other than the current location. NHRA implemented the dual latches, I believe, to reduce the bodies flying off but all it has proven is that it does an excellent job of keeping the front of the body attached.

It's racing and it's violent so NHRA and the teams can't solve for every problem, it is what it is. I just think that with all of the advancements in technology, computer modeling, etc, there has to be better set up for burst panels other than the 30 year old technology being used.

The new Camaro bodies and the new Charger bodies have new burst panel designs centered around the injector.

Maybe if the tethers were loose and the cable could uncoil from a rear location the body would still come off and drag the body behind the car keeping most of the big pieces together. Just an idea. I'm no genius.

John Force actually had that in the early 90's as part of a body blow off system. In the early 90's Austin Coil had a system that when John activated the fire bottles, there were a couple air rams that would knock the body off the car to get the fire off of him. The idea was to get the body off, and then let it trail behind the car with a tether to keep the body from flying off to who knows where. It also would release a 3rd parachute. They ran it on the car only a couple times and that was it. It never got used.

Putting on my "arm chair crew chief" hat, I feel that there needs to be some research done around pressure release mechanisms or burst panels in locations other than the current location. There has to be better set up for burst panels other than the 30 year old technology being used.

There is not a burst panel in the world that would have kept Robert's body on, or any of the more violent ones lately.

The new Camaro bodies and the new Charger bodies have new burst panel designs centered around the injector.

JFR have the injector panels, , and the traditional one in the hood both now.

Last edited:
With the double front attachment on the bodies, when this happens it seems that the front section left over impedes the drivability of the car. Looks like the body and what is left of the tree inside comes down onto the front tires. Since this happened, seems to me that more of these cars make contact with the wall than before.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back