Doug Herbert Pic (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
Does anyone have a picture of Doug Herbert's starting line explosion from the Finals a few years back? Maybe Darr or Bobby? I'd like to put the picture on my desktop here at work.

its on nhra's website, if you go to the photo gallery and then go to the latter years its in there(in the action gallery with all the results and everything!!)

Good job Ray!!!! I just knew you'd be resting from the sanding, and be lurking here, ready to post all qualifying results from Norwalk!!:D

Good job Ray!!!! I just knew you'd be resting from the sanding, and be lurking here, ready to post all qualifying results from Norwalk!!:D
I DON'T TINK SO!!
Had to take sis to work, stop by trailer and just walked in... And now-

Out to the sweatbox....................................... NOW... :D

I like these time elapsed/sequence photos.

Obviously this one for the explosion!

But also to look at the crowd and bystander's reaction through each photo. Never imagined what would be happening in the next nano seconds!

Starts off as "it's going to be loud-better cover your ears" to "Holy Mary Mother Of God-RUN FOR YOUR LIVES"!

Drag Racing Online still has the FREE SCREENSAVER available for your PC. You can download the 2005, 2006 or 2007 DRO Screensaver HERE

I was sitting at about 600 feet. I could feel the concussion there and a guy two seats in front of me caught a piece of the blower with his shoulder. No cuts but bruised. NHRA hustled him away and confiscated the piece. Interestingly (sp) the piece was cool to the touch. Herbert's car coasted to a stop right in front on my section. The damage to the car was unbelievable. By far the worst boomer I have seen in 30 years.

we get a lot of explanation about 'dropped holes', 'hydrauliced heads',
'pushed out gaskets', etc........and have seen these episodes at every
spot on the strip, but i would like an explanation of how many things
must have gone wrong simultaneously to cause this explosion; or at
least shed some light on what made this happen, especially right at
the hit of the throttle.

Mark Gerwertz an NHRA photog took what I think was the Best pic of that Boomer. It was in the NHRA 50th anniversery book.

we get a lot of explanation about 'dropped holes', 'hydrauliced heads',
'pushed out gaskets', etc........and have seen these episodes at every
spot on the strip, but i would like an explanation of how many things
must have gone wrong simultaneously to cause this explosion; or at
least shed some light on what made this happen, especially right at
the hit of the throttle.

Here's some ideas
Drag Racing Online

Man, you can't see a THING aft of the roll cage afterwards. It's like the motor disintegrated. He had to have felt that one big time, yet still had the moxie to pull over and keep the surface as clean as he could.

One more:
herbertboomfk5.jpg

I'd like to have a 1600 x 1200 pixel version of that for my desktop!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back