Robert E. Petersen passed away today (1 Viewer)

Bowtie

Nitro Member
Robert E. Petersen, an entrepreneur who single-handedly created the largest special-interest publishing company in America, was instrumental in the evolution of the hot-rodding culture, and who, with his wife Margie, realized his dream of establishing an educational museum to pay tribute to the automobile, died Friday, March 23, at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif. after a short but valiant battle with neuroendocrine cancer. He was 80.

He is survived by his wife, Margie. In lieu of flowers, the family asks donations be made to the Petersen Automotive Museum or the charity of the person's choice in his honor. Funeral mass will be held Thursday, March 29, at Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City.

This, too, is sad news. Peterson not only helped promote the hot rodding culture, he was an avid hunter and conservationist as well. In 1997, for instance, I attended the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation convention in Salt Lake City and was seated at the table next to Peterson during the Saturday night banquet and auction. Peterson bid for a coveted Arizona elk tag and won with a winning bid of one hundred thirty thousand dollars (yes, $130,000). The following year I again attended the RMEF convention this time held in Portland, Oregon. The first thing I wanted to find out is how Peterson had made out with that Arizona elk tag. I was told that Peterson never actually got around to actually using it. It seems that his primary interest in bidding on the tag was donating to the RMEF because he was a big believer in the organization's mission. When the Saturday night auction rolled around Peterson again bid for that Arizona elk tag (this time by telephone) and won it with a bid of one hunded ten thousand dollars ($110,000). I later learned that Peterson placed bids at the banquets of like organizations in support of various conservation efforts.

Peterson certainly deserves to remembered for his contributions to hot rodding. But he will be greatly missed by members of the conservation community as well.

RIP, Mr. Peterson.

Man, This hurts too... just not that I grew up reading HotRod and Car Craft, Rod & Customs... but I still have sitting on my desk, a paperback " Building and Racing Hot Rods" no cover or copyright date, wanna say '68 or so... but, to the man who brought 'Hot Rodding" to a a 13 year old kid... Rest in Peace Robert, You Done Good....:)

l became interested in drag racing by reading "Hot Rod" & "Car Craft" magazines in England back in 1965. lf it wasn't for Robert E. Petersen publishing these excellent magazines, l probably would never have discovered our exciting sport.

RIP Bob.:(

If you are ever in Los Angeles, the museum is a must see.

In the past few years Petersen had an operation at Van Nuys airport chartering out corporate jets.

Jay

Robert E. Petersen was directly instrumental in helping to establish the National Hot Rod Association. He did so by continuing to pay Wally Parks his salary as editor of Hot Rod Magazine while Mr. Parks was devoting almost all of his considerable energies to making his dream of NHRA a reality.

I was fortunate enough to work at Car Craft Magazine for 11 years and as editor of Drag Racing Magazine for another two. During that time period it was constantly evident that Mr. Petersen was a strong, albeit quiet, supporter of drag racing. Car Craft's All-Star Drag Racing Team program was never once financially successful during its almost 35 year run, yet when the numbers were crunched and hesitant publishers or group publishers were intent upon killing it to make their bottom lines look better it was Mr. Petersen who often personally stepped in to give it his approval.

That the museum tht bears his name includes numerous drag racing vehicles and displays was also do to his personal touch.

Every once in a while during my tenure there someone would make a negative remark about Mr. Petersen's personal wealth, but I figure that anyone who has the guts to start selling a "magazine" for a quarter out of the back of an old panel wagon (Hot Rod in 1948) and builds it up into a multi-million dollar operation has earned every penny, and deserves it.

The Petersen's lost both of their sons in a private plane crash years ago, and I think that took a lot his personal zest for life out of him, and understandably.

It's in some ways surprising to think of a man who championed publications like "Guns & Ammo" and "Hunting" to be an avid conservatonist, but that was also Petersen.

When you get right down to it, we might not be chatting here were it not for Mr. Petersen's belief in drag racing.

Jon Asher

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back