Reher-Morrison-Shepherd to run this weekend (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
I too love the commitment to the sport/class history and those that paved the way! Nice effort for sure.

I believe Don Garlits has a re-creation of The Bug, Dick Kraft's car, which is considered the first dragster. I'd like to see that car at all the races, just so folks can see how far we've come. Not to run it, just display. Look at Kraft in the photos. Think of going 110 in this car w/ 0 safety equipment.........

What’s a wrap cost these days? Like $300 including labor? Anyone know?
From what we've seen, it would be about $2000 today to wrap the dragster. We had someone try it a few years ago and I think they quoted around $800, but it was their first full wrap (as opposed to smaller decals) and they didn't really know what all it was going to take. You're easily going to see at least a couple grand for a decent job (which is still a steal compared to $5000-$10000 for a similar paint scheme).

I believe Don Garlits has a re-creation of The Bug, Dick Kraft's car, which is considered the first dragster. I'd like to see that car at all the races, just so folks can see how far we've come. Not to run it, just display. Look at Kraft in the photos. Think of going 110 in this car w/ 0 safety equipment.........

I wonder if Dick Kraft had a son named Bob, who eventually worked for BIG at the museum? In 2004 I ran into a guy named Bob Kraft at a truck stop in New Mexico. He was hauling SW3 in Don's enclosed trailer. We visited with him for a while and I bought a "Big Daddy" poster from him and I asked him to sign it, too. (that's how I knew his name. lol) Just curious if there was any relation between these two Krafts? There has to be....

Dick Kraft passed away age 87 a few years ago (2009). This web site says the Bug is owned by Margarita Kraft. Daughter??? Can find several articles on Dick but none on wife or family.

Another web site said Kraft sold the original Bug for $5000 in late 1951, which by 2020 standards would be a LOT of $$$. Also said he built 2 replicas of the Bug in 1985. One is at Garlits' museum & the other at NHRA museum in Pomona.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back