Reduced Turnaround Time - Safety (1 Viewer)

Ok my only question is, why not just run the entire race live?

And yes I mean from 11 am to 4:30 pm like Nascar or F1 or Indy does.

With all the popularity of Pinks and Pinks Allout it has been proven TV veiwers love the Stockers and Super Classes.

What about ESPN3 its on live for the entire event Sundays, its great. That is what needs to be done, not a taped show with live final round.

If the event were live they could have planned comercial breaks and use any down time for pre-taped segments or fill with live interveiws.

11 to 4:30 is a show that would be shorter than an NFL or Baseball game.

If they do a live final and something does go wrong, and something will, No one will give it a second chance ever again.

They need to run the race live on Sunday from first round to the finals, all classes, or stick to what we have now.

Really if you watch ESPN3 you will see that is allready what they are doing, the entire race is live.
All the comentary is live as it happens, in fact if you watch the E3 broadcast and listen to the NHRA audiocast,you find the NHRA.com audiocast is delayed buy several seconds behind the E3 live video broadcast.

Go Live or Go home!
I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but around '97 there was one or two races done on Pay-Per-View that were 8 hours of live, race day coverage. They advertised that you would see every single car that went down the track on Sunday, and they kept to their word. I was recovering from a motocross injury so I HAD to lay in bed and thought it would be great to see that. I was wrong. It was the most boring, lifeless display of drag racing I had ever saw. Having been to many national events, I never knew how many time I apparently get out of my seat to wander the pits or get a coke or T-shirt during the less thrilling classes, but it must be plenty because I never could sit through 8 hours of that crap. It got so bad during oil downs (which seem fast while at the track) Steve Evans and Brock Yates would sift through viewers comments letters and answer them on air because they had absolutely ran out of things to talk about. I suspect it was a huge failure because they only did it once or twice and I only saw the one show and wanted to ask for my $5 fee back it was so bad. Be careful what you ask for in wanting live coverage, because you just might get it.

I don't really care about live coverage (it's more of a gimmick than anything), but I WOULD LOVE to see them include more classes in the shows; three hours when there's only three classes running is ridiculous, there's so much freakin filler I find myself DVRing it, and starting about an hour in and fast forwarding. They could conceivably put 4 classes into 90 minutes, and then devote the other 90 to the alcohol/sportsman racing. It would be a fast paced show with a lot of racing, and they could still have time for the predictable and monotonous interviews. I know there's sponsorship and contractual issues (Lucas Oil vs Coke etc being on the same show) but surely they could work out something. Maybe that way we'd get to see Pro Mod on TV again.

Again, just a dream.

Your Dad must be like mine Chris.....he's on the couch "resting his eyes" by 10pm, if not before, LOL! He's always calling me on Monday asking me what happened!!

My Dad is always out the door by 7am for work Monday morning. There is ZERO chance of him being awake past 10pm.

Ok this's just wrong anyone shooting down My idea to go 5.5 hours of live NHRA on race days, turn on the Speed channel right now, there is a total of 4 hrs of NASCAR LIVE qualifing from Phoenix real exciting seeing one car go around the track at a time for 4 hours with some pre taped interveiws, and Track tech comentary, come on Really?.

I know 4 hours of NHRA, even the Stock and Super classes are more exciting than that. Come on really? no one wants to even agree with Me?

Am I the only one in racing who see's this?

Last edited:
Larry believe me, I understand your frustration, but like it or not, networks are businesses and as businesses they only sell what people are buying. We drag racing fans just don't have the numbers that circle track guys do, period. It's always been that way and always will, accept it and you'll be much happier. I look at it this way, I'm also a baseball fan (Go Oakland!) and baseball has always been a second class-sport compared to football. How can that be? Football is a neanderthal sport played by thugs and criminals, while baseball is a thinking man's sport that takes finesse, power and dedication to perfection. Now while I know full well that's an exaggeration, isn't this the same thing we say about NASCAR fans? Mindless entertainment running around in a circle for four hours? Jeez, couldn't they say the same thing about a short race that the cars can't even make the short drive back to the pits without blowing up? Apples and oranges. We don't like the same thing and we don't have the numbers on our side to force the issue and that's the truth.

Larry believe me, I understand your frustration, but like it or not, networks are businesses and as businesses they only sell what people are buying. We drag racing fans just don't have the numbers that circle track guys do, period. It's always been that way and always will, accept it and you'll be much happier. I look at it this way, I'm also a baseball fan (Go Oakland!) and baseball has always been a second class-sport compared to football. How can that be? Football is a neanderthal sport played by thugs and criminals, while baseball is a thinking man's sport that takes finesse, power and dedication to perfection. Now while I know full well that's an exaggeration, isn't this the same thing we say about NASCAR fans? Mindless entertainment running around in a circle for four hours? Jeez, couldn't they say the same thing about a short race that the cars can't even make the short drive back to the pits without blowing up? Apples and oranges. We don't like the same thing and we don't have the numbers on our side to force the issue and that's the truth.

I'm no drag racing fan, I'm a racer who has been sidelined by the high cost of doing the buisness of racing.
I don't go to the races to watch. I go its to see friends or run a car.

Was just saying ESPN and NHRA could if they wanted do live event coverage.

Using the cop out that If ratings were higher, or If corporate America would get involved it would all be better are just more of the same.

No one really see's it as being broken, as they don't know any better, so if something doesn't appear to broken, why appear to want to fix it, that in itself would in fact confirm there is, and or has always been a problem.

Last edited:
I don't want to start an argument (too late?) but let's suppose you were the guy in charge of programming. What would possibly be your motivation to NOT show exactly what the viewer wants to see? You seem to think there's some sort of conspiracy against drag racing and that "poor me" attitude is blinding your perception of reality. I too WAS a racer (if you are no longer racing, you are NOT a racer) having raced cars and motorcycles at drag strips and motocross tracks until age and common sense took over. But I don't go around thinking the world is against me because I have to watch Saturday's race Sunday morning.

Last edited:
I don't want to start an argument (too late?) but let's suppose you were the guy in charge of programming. What would possibly be your motivation to NOT show exactly what the viewer wants to see? You seem to think there's some sort of conspiracy against drag racing and that "poor me" attitude is blinding your perception of reality. I too WAS a racer (if you are no longer racing, you are NOT a racer) having raced cars and motorcycles at drag strips and motocross tracks until age and common sense took over. But I don't go around thinking the world is against me because I have to watch Saturday's race Sunday morning.

Sidelined from being an NHRA "bigShow" fuel racing car owner to be specific, Oh I race and will never quit.

My point and only point was/is NHRA could do a live broadcast if they wanted to.

Poor Me attitude? thats funny, appearantly we have never met.

Unfortunately Larry, Jim is more correct on this one. Advertisers decide what is shown on TV. In the case of the NHRA, they are one of the advertisers ... they PAY for the right to be shown on TV. In the case of NASCAR, they are PAID for their broadcasting rights.

While your 5 hours of continuous coverage is something I would probably choose to have on in my shop, it is not something an advertiser will pay for ... and clearly the NHRA has chosen not to pay for this time.

One day, maybe TV will "die" and the NHRA will be one of the live streaming choices we have from an infinite number of "channels" but until then, just because you like it, the other viewpoint is unfortunately not "wrong."

I'd be willing to bet that you two would hit it off if you met each other in person ... typing on the internet or in e mails leaves a ton to be desired. A week or two ago I was ready to fire a company I'd hired to do a wrap for a new racecar. They weren't paying attention to my comments I'd written on various proofs and were making 10% strides with each edit. Finally, after asking three times in writing for an "in person" meeting at their shop, they agreed. The meeting took 15 minutes, you could see the owner thinking "holy smoke, why didn't we do this earlier" and the next proof was 99% final.

This is fun to follow, but it's hard to have a good argument in writing.

I didn't realize there was an argument going on..........did I miss something?

Believe Me I know NHRA live tv is just an interesting idea, or something to talk about while paint drys .

Last edited:
Larry, I think you missed the definition of argue ...

1.Give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.

I didn't say fighting, I said arguing, but in today's PC world they almost share the same definition. I make a living by arguing, so I don't see it as bad (but I don't know if my wife of 25 years would always support me on that).

Last edited:
First of all, Larry Fullerton is one of the guys I always looked up to as a fan even if it was only in magazines, still do in fact. I respect his opinion on racing stuff if for no other reason than he knows more than I do. He was been there and for that he deserves respect from those who have not. And I also apologize for using "poor me" in my post, it wasn't what I should have written. What I meant by that was that I try not to get worked up about things I cannot change, and I don't allow myself (or my son) to think there's a conspiracy just because I don't get my way. The rest of my family does and I don't care for that aspect of human nature. I have no sense of entitlement, not from my job, not from the government and not from TV programming. If I want to see racing that bad, I do what I need to do to get my drag racing fix. TV coverage is just a bonus, and I for one am thankful it's as good as it is now. I started watching drag racing on TV about the time of Jim Nicoll's now-famous finish line explosion, so I'm just thankful I don't have to sit through figure skating or ski jumping any more!

To clarify the SPEED portion of airing the quals/practice, I'm pretty certain that was a requirement NASCAR had with their tv contracts. That's why when NBC/TNT carried the first few years live qualifying would be on CNN/SI if you all remember that channel. I think it no longer exists. ESPN sometimes does their own qualifying for their part of the season. The beauty of it is those networks actually pay NASCAR to listen to NASCAR's demands. Will NHRA ever reach that level? I doubt it. I don't know that there will ever bee full coverage of the event from Thursday to Sunday either. At least not while ESPN holds the iron fist to contract rights, and is getting paid for it. If someone like MavTV or something else could come in to play with their own camera crews and production teams, it could potentially be a whole new ballgame.

Larry, I think you missed the definition of argue ...

1.Give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.

I didn't say fighting, I said arguing, but in today's PC world they almost share the same definition. I make a living by arguing, so I don't see it as bad (but I don't know if my wife of 25 years would always support me on that).

Well it has been a healthy debate , I'm over it.

fire the next pair.

oh ok. I knew they had a curfew out there. When i was out there for the finals in 2010, they had to run some sportsman finals monday morning.

when I work at the track in Pomona we even had to have a DB Meter for the Jr's really? City of LaVerne is Ridiculous

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back