Reduced Turnaround Time - Safety (1 Viewer)

Bullet

Nitro Member
I noticed during the broadcast that they mentioned a reduced turnaround time for the Fuel cars of 50 minutes to support the TV program requirements.

Are they getting to a point where there is too much of a rush (not that there wasn't already) to get the car ready that they don't have adequate time to safely turn the cars around and analyze/check everything that needs to be done?

My understanding is that the 50 minute turn-around is for between the semis and the finals only to see if they can accomodate live TV at the Houston event. Thus, the shorter turnaround will only affect teams that make the finals, not the entire field all day long. Let's face it, the teams that usually make the finals have the staff and the parts and the teammates to make sure the car will be ready.

I do remember hearing about a 50 minute turn around in Pomona as well due to the noise ordinances in the Pomona area. The hour and 25 minute clean up from Antron Brown's wreck is why they was up against the noise ordinance curfew.

Like Chris said, it's only for the finals. Most of the teams have their cars serviced and running in 35 minutes. Short turn arounds are nothing new for these guys, they happen every time weather or noise curfews are looming.

I think each team should have 2 cars and just alternate them from round to round. Just my .02

Every car, even if they are an identical pipe layout, is different. They have different response characteristics, they flex a little differently, and they have slightly different weight differences. Crew chiefs hate bringing out a new chassis, it's a last resort. And drivers get comfortable with one car as well.

Also, there are more than a few teams that can barely put together one car (viz Haddock, Caramesines, etc.), and many can just afford the main car and a backup (viz Wilkerson, Zizzo, etc.). You're asking them all to have two and a backup if they need to go more than two rounds?

And what about the teams? Maybe in the morning before round 1 you could prep two cars. But let's say you win in round 1 in car A (with team A). You scurry back to the pits, hop into car B with team B rush up for round 2. Back in the pits, team A is rebuilding car A just in case you win. Where do all those people come from? Who pays for them? And what business would keep a team of people around just in case you go to the semis (a 25% chance)? The teams that can't afford all these folks are at a very real disadvantage, no?

Then where would they put them? Pits are crowded as it is, I can't imagine what it would be if every pro pit was twice as wide as it is today...

This is really not a workable idea...

I do remember hearing about a 50 minute turn around in Pomona as well due to the noise ordinances in the Pomona area. The hour and 25 minute clean up from Antron Brown's wreck is why they was up against the noise ordinance curfew.

Had plenty of time. Finished at 5:15 against a 6:00 curfew for the city of La Verne. And NHRA is willing to pay the fine for up to 45mins over. It's when it gets to an hour that it's onerous.

The 50 min turnaround was to practice for the live TV deal, and the pro teams were on a 50min clock all day -- not just the finals.

Had plenty of time. Finished at 5:15 against a 6:00 curfew for the city of La Verne. And NHRA is willing to pay the fine for up to 45mins over. It's when it gets to an hour that it's onerous.

The 50 min turnaround was to practice for the live TV deal, and the pro teams were on a 50min clock all day -- not just the finals.

oh ok. I knew they had a curfew out there. When i was out there for the finals in 2010, they had to run some sportsman finals monday morning.

I've been concerned for YEARS now, about the increased shutdown / media interview area activity. Remember when Ercie Hill took a spill many moons ago? But that was ions ago. In today's era, if I am correct, I believe the nitro teams actually station someone down there, and literally as soon as the race vehicle comes to a stop, they go to work. Pretty soon, you're going to have guys start tearing down the engines before they even get to the scales. They'll ride back to the pits clinging on to a hot motor, turning wrenches. The ol' surfing the wheelie bars trick.
I also think pit parking will become paramount. I don't know how that's determined in the first place; but pretty soon - you'll see Grubnic and Albalooshi parked in the flippin Comp pits, if it means shorter commute from the scales to the pits :D

.......... Pretty soon, you're going to have guys start tearing down the engines before they even get to the scales. They'll ride back to the pits clinging on to a hot motor, turning wrenches. The ol' surfing the wheelie bars trick........

Remember Pete Millar's CARtoons? In the old days, he'd show an aerial view of the staging lanes. While a pair of cars were launching, the other cars behind them were in various stages of disassembly, with parts like heads and blowers laying on the ground beside them, crew members furiously working on the cars.

2nd race with the 50 min turnaround. :mad: Nope, don't like it. #1 it's a safety issue. We've all seen the thrash the teams go thru with the longer turnaround. So why shortin it?? just to show the final rd live.....for what.

#2 look what happened today, both FC's were a little late, so we get to watch the drivers put their boots on. (That will attract more viewers...not)
On todays show they even said that if this was Houston, and one car was late, they will send the "on time" car as a single for the win. ( the fans will love that too) NOT!! Drag racing is a race on the track, not in the pits.

Whats next?? 8 car fields so we can fit the race in a 60 min show???
They've tried before, drags just don't work well for a live TV broadcast.

Edit it, show it tape delayed, and give the viewing public a quality, well prepaired, entertaining product.

Thing that makes me scratch my head with live stuff is if someone has a boomer like Antron did and completely barfes a motor all over the race track.

Two weeks in a row that the fuel cars are not ready....I agree with Paul, % minute delay or something.

I don't get the thrill of live TV as it applies to drag racing. I remember all too well the live attempts in the past. Inevitably, the first pair of cars oils the track, leading to lots of "filler" for the commentators and pretty soon anyone with half a brain is taping the race anyway to avoid that. I say leave it as-is and don't worry about pleasing the 3 people who think NHRA needs to be live to be great.

I just don't see what the draw is of Live coverage.

Too many issues, too many concerns. Give me safe, give me quality. THe last thing I want to see is a bye run or two cars break on the line because they didn't have enough time.

I do think it is wise that they are trying to practice for it, rather than just doing it but so far doesn't look promising. I did find it odd that they actually aired the delay instead of editing it out.

safety issue, and wat bout the smaller underfunded teams and the dreamers wanting 2 get in the big show 1day, just another way the suits wanting to
screw the small guy !:mad:

Does anybody else think that the relatively slow turn around time, and the apparent foot-dragging by the 2 DSR funnycar's in the final might have been a subtle, silent protest last night? I thought is was amusing when the announcers were wondering if Capps was already strapped in the car, and then shortly after that showed both drivers just starting to get into their driver's suits.

Does anybody else think that the relatively slow turn around time, and the apparent foot-dragging by the 2 DSR funnycar's in the final might have been a subtle, silent protest last night? I thought is was amusing when the announcers were wondering if Capps was already strapped in the car, and then shortly after that showed both drivers just starting to get into their driver's suits.

In a word.............Yes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back