Rained Out Qualifying and 1st Race of the Season (1 Viewer)

Triple Nickel II

Nitro Member
I know that qualifying spots are based on point standings during the season, but what happens to the ladder during a rain impacted Winternationals?

Accuweather Forecast For Pomona, CA

Thurs: Cloudy and cooler with chance of rain
Thurs Night: Rain - Low 47
Friday: Dull and dreary with chance of rain
Fri Night: Rainy - Low 46
Saturday: Cloudy, breezy and cool with a shower possible

I know that qualifying spots are based on point standings during the season, but what happens to the ladder during a rain impacted Winternationals?

Accuweather Forecast For Pomona, CA

Thurs: Cloudy and cooler with chance of rain
Thurs Night: Rain - Low 47
Friday: Dull and dreary with chance of rain
Fri Night: Rainy - Low 46
Saturday: Cloudy, breezy and cool with a shower possible

Let's wait for the Rain before preparing for it.

Winternations Qualifiying Rain-out Q-Order

Top Fuel
(Following event 24 of 24 events)

Position Driver Points
1 Tony Schumacher 2703
2 Larry Dixon 2445
3 Cory McClenathan 2406
4 Hillary Will 2405
5 Antron Brown 2370
6 Rod Fuller 2368
7 Brandon Bernstein 2327
8 Doug Herbert 2307
9 Doug Kalitta 2209
10 Dave Grubnic 2194
11 J.R. Todd 983
12 Morgan Lucas 966
13 Bob Vandergriff Jr. 842
14 Troy Buff 478
15 Steve Torrence 372

Funny Car
Position Driver Points
1 Cruz Pedregon 2561
2 Tim Wilkerson 2468
3 Jack Beckman 2457
4 Robert Hight 2442
5 Tony Pedregon 2440
6 Ashley Force 2385
7 John Force 2303
8 Ron Capps 2302
9 Mike Neff 2284
10 Gary Densham 2217
11 Melanie Troxel 932
12 Bob Tasca III 893
13 Del Worsham 862
14 Gary Scelzi 817
15 Jerry Toliver 734

So on based on the entries

Wow, I sure hope we don't have the BIG CALIFORNIA EARTHQUAKE in the middle of all the weekend rain ;)

Wow, I sure hope we don't have the BIG CALIFORNIA EARTHQUAKE in the middle of all the weekend rain ;)

Boy, NOW youv'e done it, we are gonna have an earthquake, a tornado, and rain!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh, probably have a monsoon with a tsunami, and all the animals will start pairing up too!

I sure hope we dont get rained out!!

Hey everybody just wanted to throw my worthless two cents in the opinion cup....regardless of what happens im gunna be out there in either shorts and my crew tshirt or im gunna be out there in my crew tshirt and umbrella but im gunna be enjoying that the season is starting up and exciting things are going to happen....Gosh I cant wait until this weekend rain or not!!! :D:D!!

The latest up to the minute forecast according to MSN.Com for Pomona, CA is; Thursday-Rain 65% Chance of Sowers Temp. 60, Friday-Rain 55% Chance of Showers Temp. 57, Sat. 50% Chance of Light Rain Showers Temp. 59, and Sunday-Sunny Skies High of 64.:eek:

This could get really interesting!!!! I have a strange feeling that the teams that could of tested that didn't might be rethinking there Game Plan come Sunday morning at 11:00 AM:confused:!?!?!?!

If you've been to an NHRA race, you know they'll knock themselves out to get the track dry in the event of rain. With ~50% chance of rain, and a couple of hours out for drying, you still have several hours to squeeze in a qualifying session or two.

Given that the Winternationals have only one session on Thursday and Friday, they only need stretch of 2-3 dry hours to get a session in on those days. And several chances to get at least one in on Saturday.

And I'm not sure how accurate your weather folks are, but in my experience there's almost correlation between the forecast on Monday and the actual weather on the weekend...

So calling the qualifying "rained out" today is just about as silly as declaring Al-Anabi the season champ right about now. :)

The last rain-out was in 2004. The only cars who got in qualifying runs were the alcohol cars. The rain continued all day on Friday, but Saturday it finally stopped enough to dry the track, dry enough for Alan to give the famous "stockers to the lanes" call. So what happens???? Just as the first pair fire up and start their burnouts they shut 'em down because there's more sprinkles on the top end. After an hour of intermittent showers, they pulled the plug on the weekend because there wouldn't be any chance of even getting one pro qualifying session in.

Back east when there is no chance of rain you guys get a tornado.
In soCal 50% chance means someone left their sprinklers on to long and the water is running down the gutter.
I can't remember, do they STILL sell wiper blades in soCal.:p

Darr, Will you be at the MM

Well we might as well get ALL of the California Seasons in this prediction!!!

Oh if you don’t know, they are:
Earthquake
Fire
Flood
Riot

Things can be real different here – he he :D

It seems to me this happened at the Winters in '00 or '01. I remember sitting in the RV all weekend watching TV waiting for it to stop raining. I remember Sunday eliminations went off without a hitch, but I can't remember how they set the ladders.

Well we might as well get ALL of the California Seasons in this prediction!!!

Oh if you don’t know, they are:
Earthquake
Fire
Flood
Riot

Things can be real different here – he he :D

Bob, You left out Mud Slide...
Riot only happens every three years
d'kid

well if it did rain continuously they could postpone it all 1 week because they don't have another race until 2-20/2-22 in Phoenix so they could if one weekend rained out continue it the next similar to a couple times at Maple Grove.

But let's not put the cart before the horse and start banking on the "Extended Dance Remix version" of Raceday

Last edited:
We subscribe to a weather service at Disneyland that is pretty accurate. Based on the forecast we got this morning, rain is expected to arrive Thursday with scattered showers Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sunday's forecast is partly cloudy with scattered clouds with rain returning Monday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back