Racing down under this weekend (1 Viewer)

bing

Nitro Member
For anyone interested we have a big race on this weekend in Sydney. Its the second last race for the season and all the pro classes are running which is TF Top Bike Doorslammer (pro mod) alky PS and pro bike.

In top fuel the points are pretty close with 4 drivers within 3 rounds of each other and Cory Mac is racing. Also the return of Phil Read with Bruce Read calling the shots after doing a stint as car chief on Alexis funny car last season. Also Andrew Cowin is not only driving but also calling the shots on the Cowin dragster. Looking at the forecast the air should be killer and if the track retains some heat on Sat nite a low .60 or even a high .50 is on the cards. We race the full 1/4 here.

The last time the doorslammers hit the track it was our first all 5 second field (8 cars) and I cant see any reason why this wont happen again.

All the talk in Top Bike is will we see our first 5? Chris Matheson is knocking on the door but has had trouble with the way the bike handles in the breaking area but says he is on top of it now. He has never run a pass all the way but if he does it will run a mid to high .90.

Pro stock has the added interest that the first 6 under racing conditions is so close (400ci here) and this will probably be the weekend for it. There are at least 4 cars knocking on the door so it may be a case of who lines up first.

We also have a name some of you will know racing, Brandon Huhtala (NHRA sportsman racer) will be racing in super stock.

If you guys are interested in what goes down I can keep you informed just let me know. If not I will crawl back into my hole.

Cheers

Bing

Unfortunately I wont be there myself (10 hour drive from here) but will post what pics I can find. I will be at our biggest race of the year the winternationals early next month with my new camera so there will be heaps of pics then if I can work out how to use the damn thing.

Cant stand not being there this weekend as I have been to this event the past 7 years but I wanna get back to your part of the world for the western swing next year. Nitro withdrawal is hard but I got the NHRA bug after Pomona/Phoenix so I gotta cut down my events here.

We were privelaged to have Mark Ashelford run his nitro harley with us in Europe last year. How's he boing back home in Oz?

We were privelaged to have Mark Ashelford run his nitro harley with us in Europe last year. How's he boing back home in Oz?

Mark is doing well, he only bought out his bike a couple of times this past season at our home track, it did run a pb in the low 6.5 range (number escapes me right now) however it was Marks brother Ian doing the riding duties. Mark is preparing for another European assault next year and possibly bringing two bikes with him.

Regards,

Mike

At the last minute this afternoon at work I decided I needed to escape the wet weekend ahead in my home city, and will be flying out in the early hours of Saturday morning to attend this race. It is shaping up to be an excellent meeting. I spoke with a few friends who are competing this weekend, and they said the track is in stellar condition, and the weather even better.

I will do my best to take some photos over the weekend, and when I return home Sunday night (4hour flight) I will post some photos up for you all.

Regards,

Mike.

Just a few teaser shots from Friday which was sportsman qualifying. The pro action kicks off in 2 hours with 3 sessions today. I'll let you all know how the day pans out.

Sydney Dragway

2 sessions down one to go and at this stage not much to report. the highlight so far would be Gary Phillips going 5.47 in his alky f/c. No 6 in pro stock and no 5 in top bike. at this stage glad I stayed home, only a 4.9 so far in top fuel from Damien Harris who was at vegas driving the second santos car, he is driving his own car here with a guy by the name of tim adams calling the shots who did a couple of years over there working for Haddick I think. He is IMO the best tuner in OZ right now. I hear Glen Mikres is calling the shots on Cory's car. Would be interested on hearing all your thoughts on Glen, personally I think there is a reason he cant hold down a tuning job over there.

Brandon Huhtala went 7 tenths under the b/gas index to qualify no 1 in super stock.

Are your Alky Flopper rules the same as ours (NHRAs)? 5.47 in an Alky flopper is STOUT any way you slice it.

Are your Alky Flopper rules the same as ours (NHRAs)? 5.47 in an Alky flopper is STOUT any way you slice it.

The rules are different Chris, we are allowed more
OD (125) in TAFC. This should give you some idea on our TA rules Chris.

My friends in TAD trim - they run 86% OD as they run 471 cubes on their TAD. The bigger the engine the more OD you are allowed to run due to having more weight. Another competitor runs 511 cubes and his OD is at 104%. One of my friends in the FC group runs to US TAFC rules, and runs at 92% OD

Last time I spoke to Gary he currently wasn't running the maximum overdrive and that they are still a couple of steps in the pullies away from it (because the belt life is better)

Ill catch up with Gary tomorrow and find out what the OD and weight was on that .47 pass.

It was pretty damn cold out there tonight. TA was the standout class.

The rules are different Chris, we are allowed more
OD (125) in TAFC. This should give you some idea on our TA rules Chris.

My friends in TAD trim - they run 86% OD as they run 471 cubes on their TAD. The bigger the engine the more OD you are allowed to run due to having more weight. Another competitor runs 511 cubes and his OD is at 104%. One of my friends in the FC group runs to US TAFC rules, and runs at 92% OD

Last time I spoke to Gary he currently wasn't running the maximum overdrive and that they are still a couple of steps in the pullies away from it (because the belt life is better)

Ill catch up with Gary tomorrow and find out what the OD and weight was on that .47 pass.

It was pretty damn cold out there tonight. TA was the standout class.

Bob DeVour convinced NHRA that reducing the OD on the Alky Floppers to 92% would bring in more Roots Blower cars from IHRA! That went over like a Lead Balloon!:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back