Question about Sponsorship.... (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I have always wondered this....but never asked a driver. Everyone knows Pro cars take Major bucks to run. But when a potential sponsor says hey I can throw $1000, what does that get? I have heard a Spillplate on a Major FC team can be $10,000 per race, do these teams have sponsor minimums so to speak? Granted I can't see anybody turning down $$$, but $1000 buys one drum of Fuel, not much else!

Speaking of sponsorship, DRO is saying 5hr Energy and Coors are talking to DSR about joining as a marketing partner next year. It's on DRO, so consider the source when evaluating the likelihood of being true.

I have a friend that gives a lesser funded team $1,000 about 4 times a year and it buys him the rear quarter panel on both sides.

I believe it's all situational and negotiable. If you approached DSR with a 1000 bucks, probably not any signage available. But I would bet a Terry Haddock or Paul Weiss or any number of small independents would be open to deals for drums of nitro or any kind of help on a given race weekend.

So what would it take to sponsor a tf or fc?

Speaking of sponsorship, DRO is saying 5hr Energy and Coors are talking to DSR about joining as a marketing partner next year. It's on DRO, so consider the source when evaluating the likelihood of being true.

Paul, reading comprehension time... did it say "RUMOR" and now you're calling it a fact?

Joe it depends on the team.. big and small.... and some teams will take on 5 or more $1000 offers for an event... and i know some smaller teasm wont show unless they cna hit a certin budget... mainly because they dont want to go half assed and under funded and be the leaker for the weekend...

I know of a couple teams that could do a 10 race deal from around $350k to $500k and take some top teams out on that budget....

Paul, reading comprehension time... did it say "RUMOR" and now you're calling it a fact?

Must have hit a sore spot, the % of the time your rumors are even remotely true are in the single digits. :eek: I knew it was a rumor which is why I said you need to consider the source.

Joe it depends on the team.. big and small.... and some teams will take on 5 or more $1000 offers for an event... and i know some smaller teasm wont show unless they cna hit a certin budget... mainly because they dont want to go half assed and under funded and be the leaker for the weekend...

I know of a couple teams that could do a 10 race deal from around $350k to $500k and take some top teams out on that budget....

I guess that begs the question.....How much does it really cost to run these cars as an independent?? I find it hard to believe a "Low budget" team can run 4.10-4.15 in a Flopper or 3.80's in a Dragster on $35,000 per race? If I'm all wrong, I'm all Ears!

Joe... the easiest thing off the top is they dont need 10 people working full time on a car... so that saves... part time team with less paychecks will save on weekend costs.....less for rooms travel etc.... thats what alot of teams budgets go to.. no all but several...

they know how to make the power (the teams i'm thinking of anyway...) but dont so their parts last longer..... and when they buy parts they buy good parts ..new or used... some teams take the throw away stuff and try to run...

i've also been told by a couple guys with some teams realisticly a compeditive car can run on from $7500 to $10,000 a pass.... now for sponsorship.. after that you get into the extras some sponsors watn...hospitality... etc etc... and if your doing hte math and it dont add up to the $35k or $50k... it the extra covers the travel and lodging exspenses..

and i'm sure some if not many will disagree....

Joe,

Our car has run 4 national events (16 passes) with the same block, crankshaft, and blower on an easy tune up with the best time of 4.20 dropping a hole. We made it in one show and missed one by 7 hundreds and another by 5 hundreds of a second and most important to me, no oil on the track.

I would be able to run 4.15 to 4.19 regularly with $35,000 per race and go some rounds at some races with $50,000 per race, as my budget is no where near these numbers. I have real good parts just not many of them, a good tune up, and a great team.

Will PM you my telephone number if you have any questions.

Paul Weiss

Last edited:
Joe,

Our car has run 4 national events (16 passes) with the same block, crankshaft, and blower on an easy tune up with the best time of 4.20 dropping a hole. We made it in one show and missed one by 7 hundreds and another by 5 hundreds of a second and most important to me, no oil on the track.

I would be able to run 4.15 to 4.19 regularly with $35,000 per race and go some rounds at some races with $50,000 per race, as my budget is no where near these numbers. I have real good parts just not many of them, a good tune up, and a great team.

Will PM you my telephone number if you have any questions.

Paul Weiss

Paul, you get 16 passes on a Crank?? They must be much stronger now, I remember in the 90's all the Big dogs were changing them out at 10 runs Tops! But getting 4.20's without putting Oil on the track on a budget is impressive!

Joe we have 1 crank with 38 runs on it. If you take good care of your parts and check them in time it is possible to do longer with your parts. And don't think we made 38 burnouts with it we also made record runs on it so it did it's job excellent! And I would still use it if I had to.

Speaking of sponsorship, DRO is saying 5hr Energy and Coors . . .

Man, I really hope one of the beer companies comes back and maybe that would push other ones to follow also.

Seeing Whit's great Budweiser King pictures and his comments about Dick Lahaie really made me miss the "beer wars".

Paul, you get 16 passes on a Crank?? They must be much stronger now, I remember in the 90's all the Big dogs were changing them out at 10 runs Tops! But getting 4.20's without putting Oil on the track on a budget is impressive!

See Joe... i'm not always crazy in what i post....lol...

And these same teams if went full time would have a higher budget... because then you do get into the full time salarys of work workers an more travel exspenses.. yada.. yada.. yada....lol

See Joe... i'm not always crazy in what i post....lol...

And these same teams if went full time would have a higher budget... because then you do get into the full time salarys of work workers an more travel exspenses.. yada.. yada.. yada....lol

Billy, I never said you didn't know what you were talkin about. Do you remember when Eddie Hill had two Massive engine explosions in back to back races in '93-'94? I talked to crew people who knew members on Eddie's team at the time. They said he wasn't changing out his parts like he should have! Now like I posted earlier, Maybe Cranks and blocks are much stronger now than back then! But Gerda saying Lex Joon got 38 passes out of a crank, that sounds like a major gamble to me! That crank breaks, the motor Nukes!

Billy, I never said you didn't know what you were talkin about. Do you remember when Eddie Hill had two Massive engine explosions in back to back races in '93-'94? I talked to crew people who knew members on Eddie's team at the time. They said he wasn't changing out his parts like he should have! Now like I posted earlier, Maybe Cranks and blocks are much stronger now than back then! But Gerda saying Lex Joon got 38 passes out of a crank, that sounds like a major gamble to me! That crank breaks, the motor Nukes!
You obviously know better than someone who is doing it. Lex has gone quicker than you ever thought of on every pass he has ever made, tired parts or not. He doesn't run it out the back door, doesn't have it on kill if he is in the show, and generally puts on a show for his sponsors and spectators. Don't question his or Gerda's wisdom. They do OK without it. Oh, wait, you talked to some crew members, who knew some guys, supposedly, on a team about 20 years ago, so there is your wisdom?

All the time, while you are asking if you can spend a grand to get your name on a wing. A grand? Bwhahahaha.

Drive a car sometime, and then own a team. Then, and only then, will you figure out that you are acting like someone who wants to be part of a team, on the cheap, and that you are throwing pebbles against rocks. Or just keep running your yap. Till you do it, you are nothing but a cam fan.

Put your own team (Brackets, Stock, SS, Comp, SG, SC, TS, PM, PS, FC, TF, whatever) together and tell us how easy it is and how much you want everyone to give you.

A 1000 bucks wasn't even a quarter panel sponsor in the 80's on a bracket car. Get real when you talk to or about people like the Joon's. They have earned respect and you would be wise to show them a bit. They actually race. Do you? Pretty sure everyone knows the answer to that question, but I will leave it open for you to answer. And no, drinking 4 beers in 15 minutes before closing time for some sort of mark at the local tap does not equate to a 1/4 record.

Last edited:
You obviously know better than someone who is doing it. Lex has gone quicker than you ever thought of on every pass he has ever made, tired parts or not. He doesn't run it out the back door, doesn't have it on kill if he is in the show, and generally puts on a show for his sponsors and spectators. Don't question his or Gerda's wisdom. They do OK without it. Oh, wait, you talked to some crew members, who knew some guys, supposedly, on a team about 20 years ago, so there is your wisdom?

All the time, while you are asking if you can spend a grand to get your name on a wing. A grand? Bwhahahaha.

Drive a car sometime, and then own a team. Then, and only then, will you figure out that you are acting like someone who wants to be part of a team, on the cheap, and that you are throwing pebbles against rocks. Or just keep running your yap. Till you do it, you are nothing but a cam fan.

Put your own team (Brackets, Stock, SS, Comp, SG, SC, TS, PM, PS, FC, TF, whatever) together and tell us how easy it is and how much you want everyone to give you.

A 1000 bucks wasn't even a quarter panel sponsor in the 80's on a bracket car. Get real when you talk to or about people like the Joon's. They have earned respect and you would be wise to show them a bit. They actually race. Do you? Pretty sure everyone knows the answer to that question, but I will leave it open for you to answer. And no, drinking 4 beers in 15 minutes before closing time for some sort of mark at the local tap does not equate to a 1/4 record.

Hey Moonbeam, I know Lex and Gerda both...You? Everyone here knows what a Troublemaker and a Dumbass you are! I will gladly leave it at that!

Last edited:

i know man... i usualy get called out on what i post,,, most time the first post is the oposite of what i post...lol.. bit proud i was backed up on what i posted...lol..

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back