Proof. Money Can buy you a championship (1 Viewer)

As a kid super gas was one of my favorite classes. Used to love the Eckard brothers and those Red and Brown Anglias and Sheldon Gecker in King Kong among many others. Used to love the variety of the cars in the class. Boxes wrecked it for me.

I haven't like Tanner's attitude on many occasions but damn that kid can drive. Money gets you in the mix but you still have to have talent to get to the top. Anyone that denies his ability is allowing the rest of him to affect the facts. It takes more than money to win, yes it is a major component but it is not everything.

I do not think money bought Tanner a championship, in PS you definitely need to be able to drive. However in nitro I believe money and tuners play a bigger role than driving.

Racing takes money. Period. Want to chase a championship? It'll take a LOT of money, regardless of category. Having money won't guarantee winning anything, however, not having it almost guarantees NOT winning.

True sportsmans are without throttle delays and using footbrakes, not something like stupid gas taking off and dropping on its face right after the launch,for spectators its BORING. Think of a newcomer to the sport and like wth is wrong with these cars lol
.90 racing is designed for the folks that won't pay the big bucks of a reserved seat, love their racing at 1320' and like watching races determined by inches, not clutch management systems. Head on down to the stripe when the .90 cars come up; gets your blood pumping!

Speaking of Tanner will he be the first pro class champion (assuming he wins it) to leave the sport right after after winning a championship?

The title of this thread is stupid in relation to the subject of your thread. As everyone already pointed out, it takes tons of $$$ to run in any Pro Class. Personally, I do not care for Tanner at all because of his imature actions, he's a spoiled brat. But $$$ has very, very little to do with him being first in class. That kid is a badass behind the wheel, he's shown that time and time again.

As a kid super gas was one of my favorite classes. Used to love the Eckard brothers and those Red and Brown Anglias and Sheldon Gecker in King Kong among many others. Used to love the variety of the cars in the class. Boxes wrecked it for me.

I haven't like Tanner's attitude on many occasions but damn that kid can drive. Money gets you in the mix but you still have to have talent to get to the top. Anyone that denies his ability is allowing the rest of him to affect the facts. It takes more than money to win, yes it is a major component but it is not everything.

Agree 100% PJ! Boxes (and automatic transmissions) killed the fan experience in Pro Gas (S/G to you youngsters :)). Originally they mostly had clutch pedals and a Lenco, which made them kind of like Jr. Pro Stocks - except 1.5 seconds slower. In its heyday the next logical step for Pro Gas racers was Pro Stock, and it was an achievable step. No more!

For me one of the worst things about modern Pro Stock - and many other classes - is the "drivers only" drivers like Tanner who don't know a spark plug from a rod bearing. I know that's not new, but the percentage is much higher now. I've always had more respect for the guys who built it, tuned it, and drove it themselves than the "hired guns." A win wasn't just sharp reflexes - it was smarts in performance development and savvy in tuning too. There are still a few of these types out there, but mostly in sportsman classes.

You guys honestly think stock bodies are safe to use at 200+? I'm not even a pro and I'd question that first thing off the trailer.

You guys honestly think stock bodies are safe to use at 200+? I'm not even a pro and I'd question that first thing off the trailer.
Yes, yes I do. I saw a guy on Jay Leno's show run a Hennessy Mustang to about 210 mph. Totally stock body, not even a wing. The current, stupid-looking P/S cars are NOT narrowed ans stretched for safety. The manufacturers run these cars to death in wind tunnels to make them stable and aero-friendly for a variety of reasons. Today's cars are quite capable, areo-speaking of 200 mph. Hell RJ Gottleib's Big Red, stock bodied '69 Camaro ran over 250 mph with no drama. Plus it LOOKS like a real Camaro.

If you are talking Pro Gas - Nick Iarussi was the Man at our home track of Dragway 42 in the '70's when the class started. No boxes. He would dial in his throttle linkage with a dial indicator to run the number.

1539718293427.png

Here is my take.
Money AND Talent wins races.
No money and possessing talent alone don't go far.
Neither does Big Money and No talent.
The kid may be cocky, but they have all the ingredients to support his winning streak.

Well, Richie Crampton and Jonnie Lindberg ran 207 with a '57 Chevy wagon..... about as aerodynamic as a..... wait for it...... shoebox!

Last edited:
If you are talking Pro Gas - Nick Iarussi was the Man at our home track of Dragway 42 in the '70's when the class started. No boxes. He would dial in his throttle linkage with a dial indicator to run the number.

View attachment 4858
I know Nick! He ran often at what was my home track at the time, Thompson Drag Raceway. If I recollect they also had a Pro Gas Vega driven by wife Joanne.

So, money can buy you a championship? How does this work? Do you mail the check or present in person to the offices in Glendora before or during the season. Is there a set price? Is there a bidding war?

When one starts making statements like "Money can buy you a championship" they disrespect the hard work of every person on the team. They disrespect the long days, long nights, weekends away from family, the work it took to get that 2nd or 3rd associate sponsor that covers someones paycheck.

I apologize. I'm a blue collar guy. Yes, someone does indeed have a ton of bank along the line to a championship, but there's some ppl doing some hard work and making some personal sacrifices to get there.

I may be a little different than some of you fellow Mater's (and you are all aces in my book), but when there's a driver or team I dislike in drag racing as a fan it draws me closer to the sport with more intrigue. Why? There's 2 passions working: 1. Wanting my driver to win on Sunday. 2. Wanting the team or driver I dislike to get beaten on Sunday.

Steve makes several good points, not the least of which is the villain factor. I used to watch NASCAR back in the Earnhardt days, then quit. Why? I didn't hate anyone else that much...

Money may not win you a championship but it takes a lot of money just to buy the right parts to build a car so in that regard yes having piles of money can buy the best of equipment.

There a plenty of racers who have the talent to drive the car but they will never have enough money to buy the high dollars parts the top teams have.
The lower buck teams always are looking to purchase used pistons and rods and other parts from the teams who only make so many runs with these parts and then sell them.

It never hurts to have sponsors willing to spend whatever it takes to be competitive on a national level.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

There are some cases where it could be reasonably argued that money “can” buy you a championship. John Force hiring Alan Johnson comes to mind but it doesn’t guarantee you a championship. Even in this situation, it took John relenting on his insistence on running his funny car parts on a top fuel car to make it happen. I think everyone gets that it takes a lot of money to have a top notch program, but it take a lot more than just money.

In my mind it proves money cant buy a championship. If it was money alone, Johnny and Shane would have been world champs. Not taking anything away from their skills, but Tanner has made the most out of the opportunity.

all the red ferrari money in the world does not guarantee a ferrari driver championship, but yesterday in austin @ cota, Kimi 'ICE MAN' Raikonnen drove a spectacular race, his team's
strategy and tires was perfect. a win for the ages. i was more excited for Kimi's win yesterday than anything in recent drag racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back