Desert Dawgs DIG Dallas… (1 Viewer)

Desert Dawgs DIG Dallas…
Win & Re-sets Record

Ennis, TX 5/7/07 - The AHDRA Rucker Performance Lonestar Nationals event gave the Dawgs a back to back chance to break records and take home wins.

Fridays test & tune session was full of excitement. Wayne Pugh was back running the Destroyer as Greg Krenik’s team mate. Things were going great until the second Pro Stock pass where the clutch throw out bearing & pushrod assembly seized together. With some help from fellow racers they were able to get a new part and modify the damaged ones to get back on the track for Saturday’s qualifying which was good for Greg, he put himself in the #2 spot in both the Pro Mod and Pro Stock classes.

The bikes performed very well this weekend. Greg’s reaction times keep improving. In fact, his total average RT in Qualifying was 0.024, that is 0.028 for the Pro Stock rounds and 0.020 for the Pro Mod rounds.

“It’s only taken 4 races and a lot of patience from Steve Allstaedt (Crew Chief-engine builder) for me to figure out how to shift the bikes. The shift points are so different between the two bikes and HITTING them when I’m supposed to has taken quite a few adjustments. Steve has pointed out what I’ve done to the motors and how close we are- to really hurting them.” says Krenik.

This weekend, the Pro Classes were contested on the 1/8th mile because of 30 mph cross winds on Saturday, enough for the AHDRA to make a safety call. Conveniently, Greg broke his own ET record for the 1/8 mile at 5.530 sec in the second round on Sunday.

Running 2 Professional Classes is pretty exciting, the Pro Stock and Pro Mod classes have 3 other classes between them. But, from the 2nd round to the finals, as the fields get smaller and bikes are eliminated, the event speeds up.

In the Pro Mod Finals- Greg WON (back to back from St. Louis!) and very quickly, Steve had to tow him back on the return road, to make it for the finals in Pro Stock. Seven minutes between runs, it was crazy! Racing back for the Pro Stock final and wanting the double win Greg was up against the #1 plate holder. Steve had proven that when Greg shifts- when he’s supposed to- they can compete with them. To see engine builder vs. engine builder it sure was a great accolade to see how damn close the race was or would have been if Greg didn’t red light. "I think that having back to back race weekends helped Greg stay focused. He was able to cut excellent lights, actually winning the Pro Stock reaction time contest, and really improved on hitting the shift points correctly. The weather at Dallas made finding the tune up challenging, but we found it and made a pretty good showing.” said Steve.

Desert Dawg Wayne Pugh joined us for his 2nd race in the Western Division and saw big improvements in the V-Rod Destroyer. "I was able to improve my 60 foot times and overall ET compared to the last race by and average of 0.100 seconds and considering the weather conditions in Dallas, I believe that was a big step in the right direction." Coming from the ET, SE and SEP classes for the past 9 years, he says, “I really like the ‘all-out’ racing with no concern for breaking out. The guys at the shop, Thunderbird H-D, will be helping out a lot to find more power in the Destroyer and I think I will see another big improvement for the Seattle race. I need some more seat time to get more competitive, as this is a transition year for me with this bike and just six events” Wayne will compete in the remaining 4 more events in the West and Greg has 10 National events to go.

This weekends accomplishments moved Krenik to the AHDRA Pro Mod National points lead and in the Pro Stock class he is #3. In the Western Division Greg is 1st in ProMod and tied for 1st in Pro Stock in points.

It sure was great to have our two new sponsors come on board. Mickey Thompson Tires made it possible for us to put a new tire on the Pro Mod after qualifying #2. The tire was going away and we really needed a new one. That was the BIG reason we got to the winners circle.

Outlaw Race Fuels stepped up to provide us with a cleaner fuel than we have been running and is also the New Official Fuel for AHDRA, we noticed the difference right away, both bikes were running quicker in worse conditions. Once we got the tune for the new fuel…it all worked!

The Desert Dawgs would like to THANK their ever important sponsors for making this all happen. Meet their Sponsors and their products:

Thunderbird Harley-Davidson New Mexico, Harley, Harley-Davidson, Buell, Motorcycle, Dealer, Thunderbird Harley-Davidson/Buell
Mark Goodwin & Associates Providing quality engineering services for residential and commercial development in our community.
SA Racing Inc.: 828-674-6225 Steve Allstaedt
Unique Services Inc. www.uniquesvcs.com
Leading Edge – The Motorcycle Paint Pros www.abqleadingedge.com
Custom Coating: 505-626-2605 Erin McGonagle
NOVI Racing: 321-725-4311 Tim Vaughn
Outlaw Racing Fuels- 775-690-3488 Jim MacMonagle
Mickey Thompson Tires Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels
Red Line Oil Red Line Oil
Big Thanks to Chick & Lyn Hancock, the Martin Family and Fleta Thomas!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back