Promods are taking a beating this weekend ... (1 Viewer)

I have noticed the abundance of crashes in the pro mod ranks also. Everywhere they go it seems there are some mishaps, and luckily, so far the injuries to the drivers have been minor, or none at all.

Could it be that they are going too quick and fast for a suspended door car? It isn't the quality of the cars, as they all seem to be of superb quality and design. And the drivers that I have seen and know, in my opinion are of above average skills.

Do you have an opinion on what the reasons are for the crashes?

Do you feel the amount is within reason for the class?

I only ask because I have no answers and I am curious as to why.

It is my opinion ,I Love the speed and dislike 1000ft racing ,But these cars pushing the outer limits on speed 250 mph {yikes},I don't wanna see anyone hurt. It seems when these cars start to get outa shape and wiggling at speed and not planted square on rear end thats when problems start .The tires starts to get loaded when car leans then gets corrected car leans the other way then once tires start get all outa shape {maybe looser sway bars would let car body roll more and not load the tires as hard side to side when this starts }the drivers seem to kinda loose control and car gets up on its side . I think bigger wings and or with bigger spill plates can help alott ,maybe the trap doors in rear body panel to help get air out from underneath also ?
I sure wish NHRA pull there Heads out and make this a pro class though {I know one of many of their faults }.

On a side note Virgil, it sure was nice to Rhonda and John out there this weekend

Last edited:
I have not had a chance to talk to Brad yet, but from what we read (and the pictures appear to confirm) it looks like the center of the wheel or something related to the left rear wheel/mounting/studs/hub/whatever broke on Rick's car that let the rear tire and wheel assembly come off the car and that caused the crash. All the power would be transfered to the right tire and that would drive it immediately into the left wall.

In picture number one where Rick makes his very first impact with the wall you can see how the tire/wheel assembly is planted up in the wheel well and not square with the rear end. When the car kicks up in the air after impact it spits the wheel/tire out of the wheel well and it rolls down the track.

Someone asked about wings. Brad has a large wing on the car.

The black Corvette that crashed (which was shown on ESPN2 during the eliminations show) looks like it was completely loose from the get-go and the driver drove it too far.

Last edited:

Virgil, I had thought about writing on this same subject. I have some experience building tube chassis cars and from watching the Pro Mods and how well they're built I think they have reached their limit on horse power they can handle. I would like to see these cars run only natural aspirated engines, no limit on cubic in. This would slow them down a little and the runs would be fun to watch. Right now you have a 300' shot and they're out of shape, or there's an accident and every now and then you get to see a full pass. I want everyone to know I have nothing against nitrous or blowers and I like Pro Mod but it's like T/F and F/C they have met there limit on horsepower.

I have noticed the abundance of crashes in the pro mod ranks also.

IMHO
I think putting a TA/FC engine in a ProStock car = Trouble. That's my thinking about this ProMod class. Yes they are neat to see run but it's only a matter of time before the BIG one happens.

Pro Mods have always been on the ragged edge since the class was created. However, one thing I've noticed in recent years, is that, as the class has become more competitive (in terms of money being spent), there has been an increase in ultra narrow, smaller winged cars. Years ago, Pro Mods usually had a spoiler you could land a helicopter on. They also were often large, full fendered cars. Now, if you look at most without paint, it is hard to tell them from a funny car. More power, less drag, less downforce = some scary rides. A couple of years ago, a 230 mph pass was cooking, now 240s, and sometimes every a 250+ pops up, so I'm sure that contributes also.

I wonder if it sheared it's 5/8" wheel studs? The ones that will only be bumped up to 3/4" AFTER someone gets killed?

Don't a lot of pro mods crash in the same fashion that many pro stocks have? Car gets loose. Driver corrects. Car comes back across it's own groove sideways. Tires stick and car flips.

IMHO
I think putting a TA/FC engine in a ProStock car = Trouble. That's my thinking about this ProMod class. Yes they are neat to see run but it's only a matter of time before the BIG one happens.

I recall the same logic about putting a digger motor in a Model T is what killed the AA/FA...

(Sorry Rapid- I meant with the folks at Glendora...)

Get rid of the suspension, I doubt any of the fans would be upset about it, It would make a safer, cheaper car and NHRA would see less downtime.

A lot of great points above. I don't have the answer, but this needs to be fixed before the "big one".

Martin is right, if something isn't done, PRO/MOD will go the way of the AA/FA.

A lot of great points above. I don't have the answer, but this needs to be fixed before the "big one".

Martin is right, if something isn't done, PRO/MOD will go the way of the AA/FA.

Maybe in the NHRA, but they aren't the only game in town anymore. The IHRA and ADRL, along with many of the small heads up associations will ensure the Pro Mod style cars will be around as long as drag racing is. However, everyone should want the cars to be as safe as possible, and I am sure the circumstances that lead to this weekends crashes will be looked at very seriously. I would expect a ruling, probably by the IHRA, to come out on the use of Pro Stock wheels on these cars very soon.

Don't the rules say that they only have to have a minimum of 2" of suspension travel, just so they can technically say they have "suspension"? Also, don't most cars run shocks so stiff combined with that 2" of travel that they, effectively, have no suspension?

IMO, they should get rid of all that B.S. and let them run solid mount. They basically have no suspension as it is and, it's not like the average fan in the stands knows or cares HOW the rear end is connected to the car!

I suppose requiring "suspension" is preserving some resemblance to a street car since they also have doors?

Not sure what you mean by waiting for the big one, but Pro Mod racer Steve Engel was killed in a massive crash at Indy last year. At the finish line his car took a hard turn to the left and T-boned the guardrail at over 220...if that wasn't "big" enough, I'm not sure what is. These cars are, indeed, fun to watch, but they are always on the edge and have to be a handful to drive.

i think the biggest problem is the weight and suspension. after getting experience in the pro mod after the ta/fc ,you can really feel and learn the hard way about how 500 pounds affects a car. my vette weighed in at 2725 and when it would start to get out of shape you could feel the car lean and even lighten up on the opposite side as you would try to steer it back. there was no driving a door car like the funny car. it is really amazing how sensitive the chassis tuning is. i watched a guy put a quarter turn of pre-load in one of the 4-link bars on my car and I thought "that can't do much, hell he hardly moved it"... it made the car drive like a Cadillac. I learned the hard way as well when a suspended car is out of shape and you take a foot out, leave that foot out!:eek:

Isn't it ridiculous to require these cars to have suspension at those power levels? Would ANYONE opt to build such a car WITH suspension, if they had a choice? Doesn't the suspension requirement ONLY hinder the cars and their construction? Does it serve even one good purpose? :confused:

You might as well require funny cars to have suspension because, by gosh, they had it in the beginning and, that makes it sacred! :)

Last edited:
i think the biggest problem is the weight and suspension. after getting experience in the pro mod after the ta/fc ,you can really feel and learn the hard way about how 500 pounds affects a car. my vette weighed in at 2725 and when it would start to get out of shape you could feel the car lean and even lighten up on the opposite side as you would try to steer it back. there was no driving a door car like the funny car. it is really amazing how sensitive the chassis tuning is. i watched a guy put a quarter turn of pre-load in one of the 4-link bars on my car and I thought "that can't do much, hell he hardly moved it"... it made the car drive like a Cadillac. I learned the hard way as well when a suspended car is out of shape and you take a foot out, leave that foot out!:eek:

Bruce Jay Payne told me that as well, your Margin for error in a PM is very thin compared with a FC!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back