Progress on the Charlotte track? (1 Viewer)

For anyone,

Just turn off I85 onto Speedway Blvd. (soon to be renamed Bruton Smith Blvd.(That passed the Concord City Council Vote)) head toward the Speedway and turn left into the Tom Johnson Camping Center. You can wind your way back there thru a series of small paved roads.

For those of you who aren't familar with the area of dicussion, once you do see it, you will be amazed at what's going on here. Looking from around where the track is, you can clearly see over a hundred homes in a huge neighborhood off Pitts School Road. It's amazing. It really is. One of my best friends (and NASCAR) employees lives in that neighborhood. And he' ain't complained one bit. Of course he's on the road each week.

When the history books look back on this it will be called "SHUFFLETOWN'S REVENGE."

A long story but you can pretty much figure out that 20 years ago a new neighborhood (and Charlotte-Mecklenburg) shut down a track that had been in North Charlotte for years and years.

Shuffletown was outside of Charlotte, subject to Mecklenburg County's noise ordinance. Charlotte annexed the land, it was in an unincorperated area. When they did, the city's noise ordinance took over. Bye-bye Shuffletown.
Art

Shuffletown was outside of Charlotte, subject to Mecklenburg County's noise ordinance. Charlotte annexed the land, it was in an unincorperated area. When they did, the city's noise ordinance took over. Bye-bye Shuffletown.
Art

as we speak, the bull dozers are turning the shuffletown dragway into a park.
i hope those kids make so much noise that they get shut down .

Thanks to everyone for the address, directions and area information. I'm going to punch it into the GPS and see if I can make it there today or tomorrow with a buddy of mine to take a few pics.

Hopefully I'll have some good stuff to post before the new year.

Last time I flew over it the land had been cleared out. No construction at that time.

I just flew my last trip with the airline, and the weather was crap all three days. Didn't get to see if there was any more progress on the site since we were still in the clouds when we flew over. I'll get some friends who still work there to check the progress.

Still No updates?

I'm beginning to think that Smith used the notion of a drag strip to pull the wool over everyones eyes just to get his way with the city of Concord. He's a shrewd businessman with an ego the size of Jupiter. I hope I'm wrong but I'm doubting his intentions for the whole deal now.

even though the town said yes, still have to get all the necessary building permits. Construction companies might move the dirt without them but wont start the construction without them.

even though the town said yes, still have to get all the necessary building permits. Construction companies might move the dirt without them but wont start the construction without them.

I can't believe Bruton would have any problems with permits. The Town's on it's knee's to keep Lowe's in the Charlottoe area anyway.

I'm beginning to think that Smith used the notion of a drag strip to pull the wool over everyones eyes just to get his way with the city of Concord. He's a shrewd businessman with an ego the size of Jupiter. I hope I'm wrong but I'm doubting his intentions for the whole deal now.

It will happen. This a Smith project not a Griffin scam.

I drove to the track last week and they had a bunch of ground cleared and and an area leveled where it looks like the actual track will be. There is enough land cleared to build a track, tower and stands, but they need to start clearing a lot more land and pick up the pace if they intend on hosting an NHRA event in October.

The local area is great! Lots of places to eat, shop, sleep, etc., and there is no question that this is a RACING town. One of the employees at Tom Johnsons said the plan is to clear the camp ground next to the building site and that's where the pits will be. It was exciting to see what was there and try to imagine what it will be like in 8 months.

If the circle track is any indication of what the drag strip will be... It's going to be, BY FAR, the nicest track on the NHRA tour. :D

If the circle track is any indication of what the drag strip will be... It's going to be, BY FAR, the nicest track on the NHRA tour. :D

Angelo, I have no doubts Bruton will build a first class facility. But I will take the "Pepsi Challenge" with the track in Vegas any day of the week. Charlotte may very well wind up being marginally "better" cuz it is newer but I seriously doubt it will be better than Vegas "BY FAR".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back