Pro Stock Tire Shake (1 Viewer)

Johnny Mopar

Nitro Member
I noticed several top cars suffered from severe shake during qualifying. I'm curiuos if this was a track situation or if most of them just missed the tune up?

Good question John,
I also noticed two of the top two cars really struggled on the last pass for some odd reason? Anyone hear anything?

The track was what it was. If you had the right set-up you were good, if you missed it you weren't.

If you can run 6.65 and I shake, are you saying that the track was bad because I missed the set-up? Everyone had the same track and weather, whoever was fastest was the best at that moment.

If I have a set-up that will run 6.55 in Richmond and it shook today does that mean that the track is bad??????

Alan

Isn't it well known that tire shake happens if the tires hook too soon, that the way to avoid it is to apply more power and keep them slipping longer? If many cars are shaking, wouldn't that mean the track is TOO sticky?

Has anyone ever tried to devise something to test how sticky a track is that's more technical than scooting their shoe on the surface?

Last edited:
Yeah, the track is just horrible... I mean, the two quickest FC times ever, a bunch of 4.4's in top fuel, EE running 6.64 in P/S.... Yepper, the track is total junk...:rolleyes:

I think the technology involved in getting two 17" wide treads in two different paths that are attached to two big balloons that are connected to each other via hard parts to adhere to the track at the rate you want them to might be the biggest variable left in drag racing to be sorted out.

The track was good... I thought the track was actually better on the q4 at 100 degrees than it was on q3 at 86 degrees, of course that was also two different lanes. The problem that most of us have is that if you want to run 6.6's you need to be aggressive with your setup and if your wrong you immediately get behind and then it just grows exponentially. Some teams that are running more than one car can get double the information so there is a faster learning curve for them.

Bottom line, Alan is right (as much as that hurts). Everyone is on the same track. Maybe someone knows how to tune these new fangled shocks so they won't shake...

Michael

Last edited:
Well, if it's true that tire shake happens when the tires hook too soon/don't slip long enough, you could say that the track is too good for some, or that they underestimated how much power to apply to it.

There were 7 cars with tire shake in the final round of qualifying. That's pretty high.

According to Warren Johnson (on ESPN this morning), the track surface is too rough, causing the low spots to fill in with blown sand. Then the NHRA crew does their track prep on top of the rough, sandy surface. My guess is Warren knows what he's talking about.

Seven cars with tire shake in the final round of qualifying is way too much for it to be tuning errors. I'll go with Warren on this one...

There were 7 cars with tire shake in the final round of qualifying. That's pretty high.
My reference was to a particular NHRA tech incident. By the way, there was, in fact, a substantial pot-hole teams were staging and launching around that seemed to be rather noticeable to Dunn and Page to the point that they aired a segment on it alone.

Jeez..

But if you hit the setup/miss the pot hole/get by all the sand..you run a great number.

I hated that pothole segment..good grief..that was a deep hole..LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back