Pro Stock Penalities after Atlanta (1 Viewer)

I don't have a problem with the enforcement of safety rules. I have a problem with selective enforcement of any rules.

AMEN, BROTHER!!!! X1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!! LOL!!!

This entire deal is such a damn joke that it's almost not worth discussing here. These guys have been flippin' visors up in the shut down area since the dawn of time. I've seen it on camera for years, including some nitro pilots, which is half-again more dangerous. Then you have the very small sampling of sportsman drivers on posted on this thread that's right on the starting line where no in-car cameras are needed to observe.

And I'm glad Nick chimed in on the shut-off deal. Another fine example of Glendora's mis-handling of an issue. How about a, "Hey, guys! that's a great idea you have there! We should take the specs further to include this!". Instead, they impose a "my feelings are hurt" fine to cover up a chute deployment that not only should not have happened and clearly cost him the round, but quite possibly the entire race with the way that car has been hauling a$$ lately. And Nick, while I respect your statement regarding following the rules, there also needs to be some practicality instituted when rules infractions occur, period.

Pitiful..............

Sean D

Really? Took me just 4 clicks of my mouse to find this picture...

Good for you Bill. Again, the liberal thinking here amazes me. Did I say 100% percent of the time or always ... NO!!
I stated that these rules are enforced regularly in the sportsman ranks at both Nationals and Divisionals.

As my Dad often said ... "I don't care who else may be doing it, or has done it. You got caught and that is now your problem."

Apparently you have a problem with that line of thinking

Good for you Bill. Again, the liberal thinking here amazes me. Did I say 100% percent of the time or always ... NO!!
I stated that these rules are enforced regularly in the sportsman ranks at both Nationals and Divisionals.

As my Dad often said ... "I don't care who else may be doing it, or has done it. You got caught and that is now your problem."

Apparently you have a problem with that line of thinking

One, I think he agrees with your point, just that it's not consistently enforced. He presented examples.

Two, it's not clear what politics have to do with this issue. Please don't elaborate on that -- or if you must take it to the Politics section.

One, I think he agrees with your point, just that it's not consistently enforced. He presented examples.

Two, it's not clear what politics have to do with this issue. Please don't elaborate on that -- or if you must take it to the Politics section.
I get that Chris, I do. My point was disciplinary action is not always fair? So what if others get away with it. 100% enforcement of most rules / laws is virtually impossible. As well, I fear that if NHRA enforced this rule literally 100% of the time the cries would still be against them as being tyranical and not understanding. As in many arguments on the Mater, NHRA cannot come out on the winning side regardless.

FYI ... no political intent on my part. The adjective liberal has more than one meaning. Many of which are unrelated to the political realm.

Definition of liberal (adj)
lib·er·al [ líbbərəl ]
  • Broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others
  • Free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant
  • Free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.; open-minded
  • Characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts.

It amazes me when there is an uprising against enforcement of clearly written rules. I am sure GA has read the NHRA rulebook. He is accountable for his actions and accepts any risk when he does what he does driving through the shutdown area. He is not special and now has to answer for it. Quite simple. These safety equipment rules are enforced constantly in the Sportsman ranks, why should the Pro's be any different? Sometimes there is just too much liberal BS here. They are Professional race car drivers, so we should turn a blind eye? Stop it !! Regardless of whether others have done it / are doing it, he got caught, he got fined, end of story. Very cut and dry if you ask me.

SECTION 2 - RACE PROCEDURES
PROPER USE OF SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Seat belts must be worn and adjusted in such a manner that the driver’s torso and head cannot extend outside the parameters of the roll cage. The loosening and removal of seat belts, helmets, gloves, window nets, lifting of helmet shield, and removal of all other safety equipment is prohibited from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Fire bottle safety pins/clips must be removed from fire bottle controls from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Fresh air systems must be on and providing air flow to the driver’s helmet from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.

Antron Brown admitted to the world after his crash at Pomona that he didnt have the fresh air bottle on until he crashed, why wasnt he fined?

at the 1:45 mark

COMPETITIONPLUS.TV - ANTRON BROWN DISCUSSES CRASH - YouTube

Last edited:
The week following the crash the NHRA updated the rule.

Maybe kinda' like they should've done with Jones instead of fine him, since the "mod" that was made had no bearing on the current intended operation of the unit, and actually bettered the existing spec as far as safety?

The penalty of losing the round he would've clearly won was more than sufficient.......;)

Sean D

My problem is that GA does this on EVERY run & sometimes un-latches his window net AND he has been doing @ least as long as he's had the in-car camera (7-8 years now)!!!

I personally have sent the powers that be a couple of e-mails complaining about this! It sets a BAD example to young people/new drivers!!!

Wonder why they finally saw the Light (dim)!!!

'Bout damned time!!!

We don't know if there was a warning issues behind the scenes to GA. Still it is a rule.

I know if I roll by the police at 10mph over the speed limit that there's a good chance they don't do anything. When they finally do come after though, I really have nothing to complain about.

The Jones penatly seems harsh, especially since it was an advancement. A talking too, maybe be force to sit out a qualifying session but the big fine seems over the top.

Definition of liberal (adj)
lib·er·al [ líbbərəl ]
  • Broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others
  • Free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant
  • Free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.; open-minded
  • Characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts.

Boy is that a pile of manure...but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Greg or anyone else may think twice about allowing in-car cams when they are used as evidence against you.

In Russia a lot of people are installing in-car cams to protect themselves from fraud. Here's an example on YouTube...a guy is driving down the street at night, a lady crosses the street and walks out in front of his car, he stops, she jumps on his hood and rolls off to the ground, he backs up, she gets up and dumps her purse in the street, she lays back down as if she's injured or dead, cops show up, she says the guy ran over her, he pulls the in-car camera out of his car, shows video to the caps, she gets arrested.

YouTube: Russian woman pretends...

Seems to me a verbal, or written warning would have been enough.
No fine, no lose of points.

There are a lot more dangerous rule infractions, EVERY race, EVERY pair of pros, that nhra turns a blind eye to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the back story Nick.

Was there ever any indication that the "modification" contributed to the early chute deployment?
....or that the NHRA equip mis-fired? or... is it still a mystery (or driver screw-up)

"The Story"

The fine that was given to Rickie Jones and the Elite Motorsports Team was given because the "safety device" that is required on all NHRA Pro Stock Cars was not wired to NHRA's specs. Their device when act activated will deploy the chutes and shut off the ignition. When Rickie's car was wired they also had it shut the fuel pump off. They felt that would be safer.....

My problem is that GA does this on EVERY run & sometimes un-latches his window net AND he has been doing @ least as long as he's had the in-car camera (7-8 years now)!!!

I personally have sent the powers that be a couple of e-mails complaining about this! It sets a BAD example to young people/new drivers!!!

Wonder why they finally saw the Light (dim)!!!

'Bout damned time!!!

About time is right on the mark.GA has been doing this forever and on in car camera!

Really? Took me just 4 clicks of my mouse to find this picture...

A lot of sportsman racers(super classes) have to the shield up to see the tree better. Normally they put the shield down before it comes off the stop. Still as you say it don't make it right.

I think GA's fine was what Sheriff Buford T Justice would call an "Attention Getter". We can sit here all day and post photos or videos and point fingers ... but NHRA fining GA has put everybody on notice to knock it off, playing around with the safety equipment during/after a run is no longer going to be tolerated. IMO, it is much more effective than putting out a press release. You can bet at Topeka team owners will make sure that visors are down and belts stay buckled so they don't have to eat 5K or more.

As for Rickie's fine, they modified a system without NHRA's approval that they aren't really supposed to be tampering with. That system is in place so it works the same on everyone's car ... Rickie's team tampered with it and it bit them that it activated early in the run, it could have just as easily bit them and not come on at all should he have had an incident and actually needed to use the system. 25K seems steep ... but the message has been sent loud and clear ... do not monkey with NHRA's safety system, even if you are trying to "enhance" it.

A lot of sportsman racers(super classes) have to the shield up to see the tree better. Normally they put the shield down before it comes off the stop. Still as you say it don't make it right.

This is just wrong. You see the tree BETTER with the right shield. Different shields for different light conditions. Orange for overcast, clear at night, tinted in the sun, etc. And fogging is a non-issue with a good helmet and some Rain-X. Shields are an advantage, not something to avoid.

Jack Beckman and I spent 20 minutes on this topic. On what shield, and what delay to put into the box on each different light scenario. At night, this, during the day with the sun behind you, that, with the LED bulbs, something else. The guy changed his delay by thousandths based on the angle of the sun...

There is just no excuse for this behavior. They should all be fined.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back