Pro Stock Penalities after Atlanta (2 Viewers)

Anderson fined 5k and loses 10 points for removal of safety equipment

Elite Performance (Rickie Jones) fined 10k and loses 25 points for improper modification to the emergency shut off device. I wonder if that was the cause of the premature chute deployment in the first round.

NHRA Story » Pro Stock driver, Pro Stock team fined by NHRA for rules infractions
you would suspect when he complained about it causing his shoot to come out early NHRA checked it and found it to be modified. You'd also guess Ricky was unaware of the mod or he would have not been so vocal.

Not to much to comment on the modification, removal, disabling of the parachute issue, but, as far as GA's pushing up of face shield looks more of getting everyones attention, especially those of in car cameras to keep the face shield down as then rules require. Undoubtably many do the same thing without being caught, but some are and are made example of. The $5000.00 is peanuts to some and in my mind the 10 pts. taken away would seem like little consequence in the countdown environment they are in today. Now having said that let's talk again in August when the countdown field is set and GA is fighting for his spot!

Just wondering if the "improper modification" CAUSED the premature chute deployment?

One would naturelly assume so. If not, is NHRA covering their fanny? I'm not a conspiracy guy but, NHRA should be more explicit. Hate to see another racer - plaing by the rules - have the same thing happen.

I am really not a Greg Anderson fan, but come on this is ridiculous. NHRA has crossed the line of commen sense yet again.
Rick

I am really not a Greg Anderson fan, but come on this is ridiculous. NHRA has crossed the line of commen sense yet again.
Rick
It amazes me when there is an uprising against enforcement of clearly written rules. I am sure GA has read the NHRA rulebook. He is accountable for his actions and accepts any risk when he does what he does driving through the shutdown area. He is not special and now has to answer for it. Quite simple. These safety equipment rules are enforced constantly in the Sportsman ranks, why should the Pro's be any different? Sometimes there is just too much liberal BS here. They are Professional race car drivers, so we should turn a blind eye? Stop it !! Regardless of whether others have done it / are doing it, he got caught, he got fined, end of story. Very cut and dry if you ask me.

SECTION 2 - RACE PROCEDURES
PROPER USE OF SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Seat belts must be worn and adjusted in such a manner that the driver’s torso and head cannot extend outside the parameters of the roll cage. The loosening and removal of seat belts, helmets, gloves, window nets, lifting of helmet shield, and removal of all other safety equipment is prohibited from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Fire bottle safety pins/clips must be removed from fire bottle controls from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Fresh air systems must be on and providing air flow to the driver’s helmet from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.

I think that all they accomplished was to piss Greg off, that won't be good for the rest of the Pro Stock field.

A lot of drivers put up the visor just after they go over the line, surely that would incur a penalty too ? but i will say after watching the event coverage back again. it seemed in all his runs up to and including the Semi Final the only time Andersen's Visor was down was After he pulled the chute in round 1, other than that it was up all the time as far as i am aware from the footage i have seen. but if that is something he and or others have done for a while, why pick up on it now ?

I see lots of guys do this on the in-car cameras. Seems ridiculous to single Greg out now. The top end interviewers are in a hurry to get the guys out of the cars for a PA sound bite. I think Greg should appeal.

Quite simple. These safety equipment rules are enforced constantly in the Sportsman ranks, why should the Pro's be any different?

Really? Took me just 4 clicks of my mouse to find this picture...

What about the top fuel guys unstrapping and fist pumping while the car is still moving,where is there fine,BS

I agree with Jim that the rules are clear and GA is a professional driver who should be held accountable.

But we also have seen many violations: Guys flipping the shield up at the end of a run, or as Jeremy said standing up and fist-pumping a win while their TF car is still rolling on the racing surface. Yet no fines there that we know of.

That tells me there must be more to it than we know. Maybe after the first visor-up run, NHRA verbally told GA to put his visor down and then they smacked him with $5K for continuing to ignore them? Who knows what the back story is....

I do remember watching it and thinking it was odd that he made a pass with the visor up and then flipped it down after the run. I drive a dragster, so my visor is always down, but I didn't know Pro Stock guys had to have a visor or have it down. Seems like I've seen an awful lot of visors up in PS.

"The Story"

The fine that was given to Rickie Jones and the Elite Motorsports Team was given because the "safety device" that is required on all NHRA Pro Stock Cars was not wired to NHRA's specs. Their device when act activated will deploy the chutes and shut off the ignition. When Rickie's car was wired they also had it shut the fuel pump off. They felt that would be safer yet and left it that way. There "Was Not" anything done to their system to try and override and or alter the system in anyway. If anything they tried to make it even safer but again it was not wired to spec. We take full responsibility for NHRA's actions and will move forward from here. The lesson learned is if you feel there is a better way to do something but violates a rule. Submit your idea or ideas to NHRA and until it gets approved, follow the rules.
Nick

Also, NHRA has rules and we, as racers are required to follow those rules. In the case of RJ and or GA, NHRA is no way at fault. If NHRA starts allowing rules not to be followed, then when will it stop. Yes, other people might be just as guilt as GA was on his infraction but sooner or later someone is going to be made an example of. It's no different in other sports as well. Just because one gets caught doesn't mean others aren't doing it. You just have to start somewhere to regain control again. NHRA is our play ground and we just need to follow their rules.....

"The Story"

The fine that was given to Rickie Jones and the Elite Motorsports Team was given because the "safety device" that is required on all NHRA Pro Stock Cars was not wired to NHRA's specs. Their device when act activated will deploy the chutes and shut off the ignition. When Rickie's car was wired they also had it shut the fuel pump off. They felt that would be safer yet and left it that way. There "Was Not" anything done to their system to try and override and or alter the system in anyway. If anything they tried to make it even safer but again it was not wired to spec. We take full responsibility for NHRA's actions and will move forward from here. The lesson learned is if you feel there is a better way to do something but violates a rule. Submit your idea or ideas to NHRA and until it gets approved, follow the rules.
Nick

Also, NHRA has rules and we, as racers are required to follow those rules. In the case of RJ and or GA, NHRA is no way at fault. If NHRA starts allowing rules not to be followed, then when will it stop. Yes, other people might be just as guilt as GA was on his infraction but sooner or later someone is going to be made an example of. It's no different in other sports as well. Just because one gets caught doesn't mean others aren't doing it. You just have to start somewhere to regain control again. NHRA is our play ground and we just need to follow their rules.....

Good post, thanks for the info Nick.

I dunno, but to me, it sure seems like a lot of guys in yellow shirts leaning on mops or holding a box not doing their job. Start pulling the battery shut-off as these guys go up to stage. That will get their attention...

Last edited:
It amazes me when there is an uprising against enforcement of clearly written rules. I am sure GA has read the NHRA rulebook. He is accountable for his actions and accepts any risk when he does what he does driving through the shutdown area. He is not special and now has to answer for it. Quite simple. These safety equipment rules are enforced constantly in the Sportsman ranks, why should the Pro's be any different? Sometimes there is just too much liberal BS here. They are Professional race car drivers, so we should turn a blind eye? Stop it !! Regardless of whether others have done it / are doing it, he got caught, he got fined, end of story. Very cut and dry if you ask me.

SECTION 2 - RACE PROCEDURES
PROPER USE OF SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Seat belts must be worn and adjusted in such a manner that the driver’s torso and head cannot extend outside the parameters of the roll cage. The loosening and removal of seat belts, helmets, gloves, window nets, lifting of helmet shield, and removal of all other safety equipment is prohibited from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Fire bottle safety pins/clips must be removed from fire bottle controls from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Fresh air systems must be on and providing air flow to the driver’s helmet from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.

I don't have a problem with the enforcement of safety rules. I have a problem with selective enforcement of any rules.

At most NHRA races that we run, the guy at the turnoff will give you a stern warning for any of this stuff. As for the starting line pics, some of this is forgetfulness, some is a fogging issue (can you say Rain-X?), and some is simply defiance. They should be smacked with some consequences, regardless.

Every time people whine about rules I like to remind them that virtually every line of the rule book is written in blood. Think about that carefully before you complain. And that selective enforcement essentially invalidates them all.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back