Pro Stock Hot Rumor (1 Viewer)

HAHA equalize the field, that is not what drag racing is about. But I agree with McGaha about keep the cars the same and run the current factory engines in them. Allen Johnson had the same idea the last year before he retired. I believe the big 3 have comparable set ups ?? AJ also said with the PS budgets those engines would be as fast as they are now in a couple of years development time.

HAHA equalize the field, that is not what drag racing is about. But I agree with McGaha about keep the cars the same and run the current factory engines in them. Allen Johnson had the same idea the last year before he retired. I believe the big 3 have comparable set ups ?? AJ also said with the PS budgets those engines would be as fast as they are now in a couple of years development time.

Please tell me anywhere (e.g., NHRA, IHRA, PDRA, etc.) in any class, outside of drag racing on the street, where there is not an attempt to equalize the field (i.e., achieve parity).

And as for the PS budgets developing the current factory engines to be as fast as they are now, how is that going to draw more participants into the field? It is still going to be a rich man's sport where the little guy will be priced right out of competition. Bottom line, if you let these guys go crazy with the factory engines/cars, you'll be right back were you are today, it'll just take a little bit of time and a LOT of money!

Please tell me anywhere (e.g., NHRA, IHRA, PDRA, etc.) in any class, outside of drag racing on the street, where there is not an attempt to equalize the field (i.e., achieve parity).

And as for the PS budgets developing the current factory engines to be as fast as they are now, how is that going to draw more participants into the field? It is still going to be a rich man's sport where the little guy will be priced right out of competition. Bottom line, if you let these guys go crazy with the factory engines/cars, you'll be right back were you are today, it'll just take a little bit of time and a LOT of money!

Personally, I think that's the main reason to steer clear of putting the factory engine platforms in the current chassis. If you keep them in the factory form and on a 9-inch or 10-inch tire, you limit the effectiveness of overall horsepower, similar to what we're seeing in the fuel categories right now with the revised traction mixture. Couple that with the necessity of using what the factory currently offers, which changes often, you stay away from flogging essentially one combination for 40 years like we just had.

Sean D

Replacing PS with ProMod for the telecast, in my opinion, would be the best. ProMod is more exciting to watch. I believe that would help ratings. If the ProMod guys like their short season, why not run them like the Pro Stock Motorcycle schedule? Just my, dedication to watching NHRA on TV, honest opinion.

Personally, I think that's the main reason to steer clear of putting the factory engine platforms in the current chassis. If you keep them in the factory form and on a 9-inch or 10-inch tire, you limit the effectiveness of overall horsepower, similar to what we're seeing in the fuel categories right now with the revised traction mixture. Couple that with the necessity of using what the factory currently offers, which changes often, you stay away from flogging essentially one combination for 40 years like we just had.

Sean D

true but do you want to slow them down ? would people care ? FSS is perfect IMO all 3 manufacturers, good racing, a little slower but "real". Yes most people could not afford a FSS car either but they could buy one exactly like it and pretend running brackets.

I don't know if we are discussing participation or viewership. If so many of you are saying replace it with pro mod I would like to know where all of you are when they are running? Not many in the stands with me. More cars participating and still no one watching. Seems like all the bitching is a moot point. Doesn't matter if the factory stock cars are there either from that stand point. Pro mod is not going anywhere and factory stock is not going anywhere. It doesn't matter what status those classes have in the race because the majority are hitting the pits regardless. I don't watch some classes because they don't interest me but I don't wish them to go away since the world doesn't revolve around me. It's never going to be what it was not to mention every suggestion I see either doesn't make sense, is going to put it on the same track it's on or going to cater to the rich teams you all seem to loathe so much. I bet the crew on these teams that are not rich are happy to be living the dream so many of you are wishing would go away. I've said it before if you don't like it don't watch it. There are plenty of tf and fc drivers waiting to sign your hat so move on and get over it. It's silly to me that so many supposed gear heads dont appreciate pro stock for what it is.

When I spoke with Allen Johnson his last year on tour, he and his Dad believed that if they went the route of FS and the PS guys used their budgets to develop the engine programs in a few years they would be close in the et / speed numbers,
When someone figure out how to put that power to a 9" slick that's when you will start seeing those et's.

true but do you want to slow them down ? would people care ? FSS is perfect IMO all 3 manufacturers, good racing, a little slower but "real". Yes most people could not afford a FSS car either but they could buy one exactly like it and pretend running brackets.

For me personally, I don't care about slowing them down. They still put on a helluva show, with great competition amongst the manufacturers. Like any form of motorsport, television doesn't do it any justice, and that includes even the fuel cars. These cars live are still really cool to watch, even at the e.t.'s and speeds they're running now.

I truly think the situation with current-state Pro Stock exemplifies the adage of, "sometimes you have to take a step backward, to move forward", so I see this as a huge opportunity for the manufacturers, racers and the sanctioning body. The manufacturers could finally have a high-profile class again to showcase current performance technology and the racers could have a class that, although will still be expensive to participate in, still shouldn't be anywhere near what is needed to be competitive right now. The Big Three in Pro Stock used to mean Detroit, now it means KB, Elite and Gray, with McGaha being a wildcard. If you're not running out of one of those camps, you're essentially there for the qualifying money.

There's the "argument", one that literally makes me laugh every time I hear it, about all the inventory and/or R&D costs that will be kicked to the curb if this change is made, but that just don't fly with me. These camps don't give a damn about the cost. They can't. They handed money as a class back over to NHRA, and many of them run at a high level regardless of the fact that the sponsor money coming in doesn't cover operating costs. Because Pro Stock is the million/billionaire's boys club, I can see the possibility of having more inventory lying around than the fuel teams, but again, cost isn't an issue with these guys, so what makes the difference whether they're spending their resources flogging the current platform that has been evolving from the same base for nearly 40 years, or changing over to the new stuff?

I'm hopeful that NHRA sees this whole situation for what it is and makes the right decision. With Pro Stock being in the state it's in, along with FSS being ripe for the promotion, the perfect storm is right in front of them. Get the cars back to factory sheet metal, make them stay with current technology as it evolves from the manufacturers and keep them on a 9-10 inch tire. The cars will haul ass, still be a handful to drive and the fans will love getting behind a TRUE factory war again.

Sean D

I don't know if we are discussing participation or viewership. If so many of you are saying replace it with pro mod I would like to know where all of you are when they are running? Not many in the stands with me. More cars participating and still no one watching. Seems like all the bitching is a moot point. Doesn't matter if the factory stock cars are there either from that stand point. Pro mod is not going anywhere and factory stock is not going anywhere. It doesn't matter what status those classes have in the race because the majority are hitting the pits regardless. I don't watch some classes because they don't interest me but I don't wish them to go away since the world doesn't revolve around me. It's never going to be what it was not to mention every suggestion I see either doesn't make sense, is going to put it on the same track it's on or going to cater to the rich teams you all seem to loathe so much. I bet the crew on these teams that are not rich are happy to be living the dream so many of you are wishing would go away. I've said it before if you don't like it don't watch it. There are plenty of tf and fc drivers waiting to sign your hat so move on and get over it. It's silly to me that so many supposed gear heads dont appreciate pro stock for what it is.
I agree and even if pro mod or factory stock went full time it would take time to do it for sponsorship and money pro Stock deserves more attention.

The casual fan wants to see nitro. Period. PS and all the other classes are filler.
Only us diehards that grew up with PS and were "wannabe" racers want to see it go back to to the old days.

OK, just for yuks & grins, fans like the fuel classes the best. So, just have a race where it's all nitro

I was trying to delete the above post, but what I was thinking about was one year NHRA ran an all heads up Supernats at Ontario. All 3 Pro classes and Pro Comp. It was a good show, but suffered from down time when it got towards the final rounds. So they didn't do that again. But, when I used to go to a big nitro show at Lions & especially Orange County they used that same format & had big crowds. The "filler" were the quick ET cars. Also some wheelstanders and what have you. Ever see the guy with the steel plates on his boots? Had a motorcycle, would get up to speed and climb off the back. Held on to the back of the bike (and steered it) and his plates let off a shower of sparks. Really wild to watch. I guess I've wondered why NHRA can't do the same thing with national events. Anyhoo, just my 2 cents. I know times change, but am thinking of the spectator point of view. Nitro is what they come to see, so....

Was that Krazy Keith Kardell...? Or was he the one who ran low 10s while sitting backwards...
Yea he was great. He used to do a back roll off the bike and slide down the track on his metal shoes. Saw him miss his grip one year at Pomona and do the heavy while his bike ghost rode down to the sand trap. He really was crazy. Great show.

Found a pic.

Attachments

• 03737603-0C51-4C90-90C5-075C084B85D7.jpeg
    03737603-0C51-4C90-90C5-075C084B85D7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 2090E5A2-6D1F-40D5-B983-5F3967F84B31.jpeg
    2090E5A2-6D1F-40D5-B983-5F3967F84B31.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
The current configuration of the aerodynamics of the PS cars make them hard enough to keep straight past the 1/8 mile and they want to have power adders?
I would like to see the Mountain motors mix it up with the PS cars, sounds like back to the early 80s with weight breaks that changed at the whim(whining) of some NHRA/racers.
IMO NHRA has shot themselves in the foot by being spread too thin, too many races thins the purse.
Short fields because not everyone can afford to run a 24 race schedule.

Last edited:
PS has zero downforce so they can run the speeds they do.

Downforce is referred to as induced drag and is a function of the square of the velocity. This increase in drag therefore takes more horsepower away from the acceleration horsepower and results in a reduced maximum speed that can be achieved during the run. There is a point in which the downforce generated which increases traction is negated by the increase in HP it takes to over come the downforce.

Ex: It takes 3000 HP to drag a top fuel wing thru the air because of the down force, lift, that it produces. If they were to increase the downforce to stop black tracking the cars would slow down because they do not have enough HP to overcome the additional drag.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back