Pro Stock Hot Rumor (1 Viewer)

The drivers seem a little out of touch. They say "we have parity!" Well of course you do - the cars are all identical! That makes the racing boring no matter how close the MOV are. I just FFWD through it if watching the TV broadcast.... and that coming from a guy who has loved the class since its inception.

The drivers seem a little out of touch. They say "we have parity!" Well of course you do - the cars are all identical! That makes the racing boring no matter how close the MOV are. I just FFWD through it if watching the TV broadcast.... and that coming from a guy who has loved the class since its inception.

I agree. And as for parity, I think that's a stretch. There was a time where 16 cars were within a nickel; THAT'S parity. Now, unless you're out of one of the three big camps, with McGaha being the wildcard, you're just filler.

Sean D

I still gotta wonder if NHRA is thinking of replacing Pro Stock with Factory Stock. They have been running Factory Stock races & it's good racing, all 3 brands are competitive. Those cars will run 7's before the end of the year. I love the blower cars & how they sound coming to the line. Some of the former P/S racers are getting involved in this class, so kinda makes you wonder....
But is is WAY to slow to be a pro class.

But is is WAY to slow to be a pro class.

When I spoke with Allen Johnson his last year on tour, he and his Dad believed that if they went the route of FS and the PS guys used their budgets to develop the engine programs in a few years they would be close in the et / speed numbers,

We have a class for that already, pro mod.

Allowing turbos on the cars might bring more cars that could not qualify for pro mod or do not have a race in there area. I'm not saying add blowers or NO. What cubes are the turbo cars running in promod?

Don't worry about slowing down one group or speeding up the other. Just race them Winston Showdown style! I know you guys remember, back in the late 90's early 2000s when they raced Top Fuel vs Funny Car and the Funny Cars got a head start? If the mountain motor cars can run 6.20s and the 500 cubic inchers can run 6.50s, line 'em up and give a 3 tenths headstart to the smaller engine. Problem solved.

I was completely joking when I started typing this. :D But after reading and thinking about it a little bit.............

When I spoke with Allen Johnson his last year on tour, he and his Dad believed that if they went the route of FS and the PS guys used their budgets to develop the engine programs in a few years they would be close in the et / speed numbers,

That may be so, but I would highly doubt they would be able to accomplish that without aerodynamic changes to the cars.

One thing that would help the FSS cars would be a bigger tire. They can only run a tire that fits the wheel well. If they could tub the car, but leave all else the same, they could get a lot quicker. One thing I do like about FSS is that they are real cars that you can buy & race. The FSS teams today are really good with setting the car up & getting the power to the ground; in my mind, just as professional as the Pro Stock teams.

One question. If NHRA got rid of Pro Stock, where would the teams go? Pro Mod? FSS?

Hmm. “Let’s go back to weight breaks ‘cause it worked out so well before.”
What a great plan.
Where’s that sarcasm smiley?

One thing that would help the FSS cars would be a bigger tire. They can only run a tire that fits the wheel well. If they could tub the car, but leave all else the same, they could get a lot quicker. One thing I do like about FSS is that they are real cars that you can buy & race. The FSS teams today are really good with setting the car up & getting the power to the ground; in my mind, just as professional as the Pro Stock teams.

One question. If NHRA got rid of Pro Stock, where would the teams go? Pro Mod? FSS?
I think it is fairest to say they are real cars you can buy for $100k and then drop another $100k into them if you want to run FSS somewhat competitively. Really cool cars, a class I really enjoy following, but don't fool yourself into thinking these are $35k factory cars (I know you didn't say a number, just pointing out that they are race cars with an interior driven by very talented racers .... and a wider tire would somewhat risk ruining the class in my opinion. The small tire is an equalizer of sorts (like limited traction for the fuel cars) it keeps the benefit of engine development somewhat muted allowing a broader range of drivers to be competitive.

I still gotta wonder if NHRA is thinking of replacing Pro Stock with Factory Stock. They have been running Factory Stock races & it's good racing, all 3 brands are competitive. Those cars will run 7's before the end of the year. I love the blower cars & how they sound coming to the line. Some of the former P/S racers are getting involved in this class, so kinda makes you wonder....
Maybe I hope pro Stock car doesn’t go away by the what ever happened to pro stock truck all those years ago?

I think it is fairest to say they are real cars you can buy for $100k and then drop another $100k into them if you want to run FSS somewhat competitively. Really cool cars, a class I really enjoy following, but don't fool yourself into thinking these are $35k factory cars

I don't think any rational person believes these are "cheap" cars. But the alternative is the current pro stock class - For twice the money you have a car with a stretched out nose, unrealistic bubble on the hood and a rear deck that droops down to make a teardrop shape and with a wink-wink-nudge-nudge we'll still call it pro "stock".

I hope FSS replaces pro stock, it would be the best boost for that class. While I give the NHRA a solid B+ for trying to think outside the box to save pro stock, they have failed in execution. Pro Mod has eaten Pro Stock's lunch and something needs to be done to that class. I saw FSS in person and those cars are impressive.

I hope FSS replaces pro stock, it would be the best boost for that class. While I give the NHRA a solid B+ for trying to think outside the box to save pro stock, they have failed in execution. Pro Mod has eaten Pro Stock's lunch and something needs to be done to that class. I saw FSS in person and those cars are impressive.

I've said this for quite a while and believe that it's on the cusp of happening. The class is gaining in popularity, both among the fans, and most importantly, the manufacturers. They're almost in the 7's already and all three makes are competitive. The class has been in the need of returning to its roots for quite some time, and that time is now.

Sean D

I don't think any rational person believes these are "cheap" cars. But the alternative is the current pro stock class - For twice the money you have a car with a stretched out nose, unrealistic bubble on the hood and a rear deck that droops down to make a teardrop shape and with a wink-wink-nudge-nudge we'll still call it pro "stock".

I guess I prefer close competition at over 200 mph to "stock" and 160mph .... and no you can't fix the speed without changing the chassis to a double frame rail without huge safety issues. Personally I prefer pro mod as a professional replacement if that is the choice. I also wouldn't mind a rotation of all three classes on a limited schedule basis.

Here are few "out of the box" thoughts. If PS were to go away, who says we need 3 Pro classes? We already have FSS, it doesn't need to be a pro class. NHRA doesn't have the funds to pay reasonable purses right now, I understand they already took some PS money away to increase nitro payouts. So from a purely business standpoint, IF, PS went away, just add the remaining purse from that class and add it to the fuel classes, which are attracting new teams. And, like it or not, the nitro cars are what are used to promote the sport and they keep the fans in the stands. Also, everyone needs to stop saying "replace PS with Pro Mod" as those teams have repeatedly said they are happy with their shorter schedule. Know a quick way to screw up a good class? Make it a pro class. NHRA is on a pretty good trajectory right now, it's an important time to make the right calls for the future. To me, a big focus needs to be on finding more money for the fuel cars, while there are new teams and drivers wanting to come in, again they are the draw for the "big show", and we are about to lose some sponsorships at the end of 2018. BTW, I'm not wanting to see Pro Stock go away, these were some ideas based upon a purely business perspective.

Here are few "out of the box" thoughts. If PS were to go away, who says we need 3 Pro classes? We already have FSS, it doesn't need to be a pro class. NHRA doesn't have the funds to pay reasonable purses right now, I understand they already took some PS money away to increase nitro payouts. So from a purely business standpoint, IF, PS went away, just add the remaining purse from that class and add it to the fuel classes, which are attracting new teams. And, like it or not, the nitro cars are what are used to promote the sport and they keep the fans in the stands. Also, everyone needs to stop saying "replace PS with Pro Mod" as those teams have repeatedly said they are happy with their shorter schedule. Know a quick way to screw up a good class? Make it a pro class. NHRA is on a pretty good trajectory right now, it's an important time to make the right calls for the future. To me, a big focus needs to be on finding more money for the fuel cars, while there are new teams and drivers wanting to come in, again they are the draw for the "big show", and we are about to lose some sponsorships at the end of 2018. BTW, I'm not wanting to see Pro Stock go away, these were some ideas based upon a purely business perspective.

That's an interesting perspective, Nunz, especially the point about Pro Mod. That's simply not going to work long-term as a professional class.

I would have to respectfully disagree with Pro Stock not being recognized as a professional class in the event they move FSS up. Maybe not do the full 23-race pull, but from a marketing standpoint that would most benefit the manufacturers, I think it still needs to be showcased on that level, both at the track, and more importantly, on the telecasts. Just my opinion.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back