Pro Stock Hot Rumor (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Competitionplus.com sez that mountain motor Pro Stock will run with the 500" cars in 2019. Will be confirmed at or before the Nationals in Indy. Wait.....am getting a flashback.... IHRA, Billy Meyer, 1990's, same exact thing. Added a lot of weight to the big inch cars but they still ran faster. Wasn't there a turbo V-6 in that mess too? Buddy Ingersol?

It will take some work on parity but I like it. Should have already been done a few seasons ago. These guys have struggled to find a home for their cars and I'm glad they are finally getting a chance to run the NHRA with that combo. I'm sure a lot of people are going to crap on it but I think this is going to turn the class around. I'm not sure how many of those guys want to run a full schedule but I would be surprised if this doesn't add as many as 10 more cars to many of the events next season. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current drivers eventually make the switch considering some like the Nobiles have a history with mountain motor pro stock. There are some really good drivers and it would be fun to see some of those fresh matchups. Think of some of the cool final rounds you could see......Enders/Montecalvo..... Anderson/Gahm.......Coughlin/Goforth!! I hope people will give this a chance and not crap on it before they even get to see the effect it has down the road.

I think this is just a band aid will not turn the class around. The average fan wont know the difference between a 500 cube or mountain motor car. Buddy's turbo was factored out in the 80's because it was not welcomed in PS. But i bet turbo cars would make the class a lot more interesting than the mountain motor cars.

I think this is just a band aid will not turn the class around. The average fan wont know the difference between a 500 cube or mountain motor car. Buddy's turbo was factored out in the 80's because it was not welcomed in PS. But i bet turbo cars would make the class a lot more interesting than the mountain motor cars.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Ingersoll ran a V-6 Buick turbo in P/S Did ok in it

variety is what matters to keep people attention, even GM loyalists are bored with PS.
it definitely won't hurt, someone might actually stay in the stands with me and the wife..................

I think this is just a band aid will not turn the class around. The average fan wont know the difference between a 500 cube or mountain motor car.

I completely agree. I don't really believe this will happen, but if it does, it will only increase car counts short-term. It would be cost prohibitive for the mountain motor guys to go to 24 races (compared to what they are used to spending). If they turn out to be competitive, they will either be factored out, or everyone in the 500 inch ranks will develop big motor combinations, thereby raising the price of poker once again.

It would be interesting to see if some of the Pro Mod guys switch over to Pro Stock (would love to see Rickie Smith's 900+ inch motor in Pro Stock, without the nitrous of course). Would Reher-Morrison come back? They have been building big motors for Pro Mod and sportsman since they left Pro Stock.

I have to agree it will make one of the most boring classes ever, a little bit more exciting, but not enough to save it.

I think the mountain motor cars are running like 832 cubes. They have kept that rule in place for several years. They can run high 6.20's at around 225 - 226 in the 1/4 mile. So add how much weight to make a level playing field? Plus at least one Mopar & a couple of Fords that are competitive.

We already have a class like that. It's called PRO MOD. Most people seem to forget that both Ford and MoPars ran engines that were identical to the far more efficient GM designed engines the most
important part being the cylinder head design that allows optimum compression ratio along with perfect "breathing". Then MoPar developed their "hemi" that just splays the valves farther apart and
put the spark plug down the center. It is not a true hemi at all! A true hemi cannot achieve as high a static compression ratio as a GM type design. I would like to see Ford and MoPar once again
in Pro Stock with their name on that design ONCE AGAIN. As it is, I like the close competition and team rivalry. BTW I started racing well over 50 years ago with success in many classes including
dragsters. I had to take a few years off because my businesses required it. I got back in on a crew of an A/Fuel car my neighbor had and then he went top fuel. After that I raced a nostalgia Ford
Thunderbolt for 10 years in brackets and every race I could totally on my own so I have kept current on this great sport all these years. Now retired in Las Vegas I go to a few races and watch
All Access on the internet. Best to you all Bob

We already have a class like that. It's called PRO MOD. Most people seem to forget that both Ford and MoPars ran engines that were identical to the far more efficient GM designed engines the most
important part being the cylinder head design that allows optimum compression ratio along with perfect "breathing". Then MoPar developed their "hemi" that just splays the valves farther apart and
put the spark plug down the center. It is not a true hemi at all! A true hemi cannot achieve as high a static compression ratio as a GM type design. I would like to see Ford and MoPar once again
in Pro Stock with their name on that design ONCE AGAIN. As it is, I like the close competition and team rivalry. BTW I started racing well over 50 years ago with success in many classes including
dragsters. I had to take a few years off because my businesses required it. I got back in on a crew of an A/Fuel car my neighbor had and then he went top fuel. After that I raced a nostalgia Ford
Thunderbolt for 10 years in brackets and every race I could totally on my own so I have kept current on this great sport all these years. Now retired in Las Vegas I go to a few races and watch
All Access on the internet. Best to you all Bob

Bob, T-Bolts are really cool race cars. I once went to the old San Gabriel Drags & some Thunderbolts were there. They were sooooo fast! I seem to remember them running 125 MPH on those itty bitty tires they had to run, low 11's. They could run high 10's with real slicks, and this was around 1964. People really loved watching the Super Stocks run & no one left the stands when it was their turn. The T-Bolts all ran A/FX and I think you can trace Pro Stock & Pro Mod and funny car from the A/FX classes.

I think the mountain motor cars are running like 832 cubes. They have kept that rule in place for several years. They can run high 6.20's at around 225 - 226 in the 1/4 mile. So add how much weight to make a level playing field? Plus at least one Mopar & a couple of Fords that are competitive.

These motors are toppng 1050 cubic inches now...absolutely crazy!! I think you will not have participation from a lot of the current PDRA pro stock teams. They've been beat around the past 10 or so years and finally have a place to race that respects and appreciates what they do. I don't think NHRA pro stock is stable enough for the commitment.

Last edited:
IMO PM cars look more like the stock cars they represent, you can look at one and know what it is without decals on the windshield.
PS the only thing stock is maybe a bolt somewhere, 1/4-20 maybe.
PM with no power adders, that would be closer to what PS should be

IMO PM cars look more like the stock cars they represent, you can look at one and know what it is without decals on the windshield.
PS the only thing stock is maybe a bolt somewhere, 1/4-20 maybe.
PM with no power adders, that would be closer to what PS should be

Yeah, you are right, Rickie Smith's and Stevie Fast's Pro Mods looks so much closer to the stock car it represents compared to Jason Line's and Greg Anderson's Pro Stock :rolleyes:
rl_steviefastjackson_rickiesmith-crop-u74921002.jpg
line-anderson-nhra-final.jpg

I still gotta wonder if NHRA is thinking of replacing Pro Stock with Factory Stock. They have been running Factory Stock races & it's good racing, all 3 brands are competitive. Those cars will run 7's before the end of the year. I love the blower cars & how they sound coming to the line. Some of the former P/S racers are getting involved in this class, so kinda makes you wonder....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back