Pro Stock Consecutive Finals (3 Viewers)

it wasn't fun to watch when glidden, wj or wayne cnty. dominated either?......actually it is exciting if you understand how hard certain racers work to get to a dominate position; and working hard doesn't mean just finding horsepower, it means how you interact with your fellow racers, team members, fans, suppliers, sponsors, owners, etc. so when you're at the track, your domination is the sum of everything you have done in the last week, last month, last year, last 5 years. it is not an accident that the summit cars are now chasing their 2nd huge final round streak (see dave's stats)....they were on top, then they weren't, then they were back even par with other front runners, now they are on top again. they are really good. i enjoy watching them dominate, and i will enjoy watching whoever it is eventually equal their performance.

Absolutely, Mike. This has been the trend FOREVER in Pro Stock. And it's this kind of domination that takes the performance to all new levels, through much harder work by the rest of the class. Like every other streak of dominance we've seen over the years, this one will also pass, and the racing will be really good when it does.

Sean D

I'm a longtime KB fan but, these days they are basically 'shooting fish in a barrel'. Along with a 3 to 5 hunreth advantage on their closest competitors, they are getting bye runs, opponents who can barely run in the sixes and until Bo learns how to cut a light in his car, its gonna be a Greg v jason match race for the forseeable future

you are rite jim, there was nothing to appreciate in the winning ways of the wayne cnty. dodges; i stand corrected.....they should have
been omitted from the list.....

Amen to that! Lol!

But like was mentioned earlier, there's nothing like a continual ass-whoopin' to make you get better. Even if the ones doin' the whoopin' aren't on the up-and-up. A dynamic I believe to be true with ANYTHING in life.

Sean D

I get that some find it boring. I honestly think it really depends on if the team dominating is the one you root for. When WJ was riding high, I loved it. If Erica or Allen were on this streak I bet the view of it would be different. It would help if the 2 cars on top were not on the same team, but part of the attraction of sports if taking down the Yankees or Lakers of that sport. With the rule changes this will be short lived, other teams will catch them eventually.

Frank- I agree and like that idea. I remember years ago seeing such a graphic to the TV coverage. I don't recall if it was race wins or round win % but either way that would be a good list to see.

Might just be you and I on here Jim. Watching PS this year downright sucks.
Don't know how anyone can say its even remotely entertaining at this point.
I cannot knock the KB effort and agree with most everyone here that eventually some of the pack will catch up. But I can also see where, as fans, people would look at the standings and say ... really? We have only run 10 races and the gap between 1st and 10th is almost 8 races already. Add the fact that ...
  • Only 11 teams have been at all 10 races
  • Only 11 drivers have a chance for the 10 spots in the countdown
  • Only 21 drivers have participated in Pro Stock at an event this year
Position Driver Points PB
1) Jason Line 1133 0
2) Greg Anderson 1065 -68
3) Bo Butner 719 -414
4) Allen Johnson 614 -519
5) Drew Skillman 550 -583
6) Chris McGaha 491 -642
7) Vincent Nobile 480 -653
8) Jeg Coughlin 424 -709
9) Alex Laughlin 413 -720
10) Erica Enders 406 -727

This all makes it appear uncompetitive via the eye test without watching on TV. At least in 2016, I don't think even a points reset going into the countdown is going to change anything. 2016 is what it is and we'll have to see what happens in 2017 with another offseason of parts gathering and testing.

Jason and Greg are having a battle between themselves for sure. It's not even the 8 race gap to 10th, how about the 4 race gap to 3rd and 5 race gap to any non KB car??! I was looking at that last night and it's obvious they will be in the countdown but even with the new points and a half at indy, they should be on pace to officially lock their spots by Denver.

In comparison. The top 12 in funny car are closer than the top 3 in pro stock. I think it was the top 8 or 9 in top fuel that fit that gap too. If it wasn't for greg and Jason being so close, and the countdown reset, this would likely be the biggest points gap in the history of the nhra by seasons end.

bo has the power too, but hasn't put it all together on sunday yet. jason, greg and team are not making any mistakes, or if they
are they are minor. these guys are winning every round with changing weather and track conditions. the SAME way erica
dominated the last two years; she and her team were very close to perfect, so much so she caused jason to push the light and red-light
away the championship two years ago.
greg coming from WJ to form his own team; then have jason & greg befriend each other in pursuit of more horsepower, while jason
was still working for gibbs (both MN guys, neighbors in NC), then form the two car team we know today.
these guys are a success story, plain and simple. it is too bad if you can not appreciate them competing, whether winning or losing.

bo has the power too, but hasn't put it all together on sunday yet. jason, greg and team are not making any mistakes, or if they
are they are minor. these guys are winning every round with changing weather and track conditions. the SAME way erica
dominated the last two years; she and her team were very close to perfect, so much so she caused jason to push the light and red-light
away the championship two years ago.
greg coming from WJ to form his own team; then have jason & greg befriend each other in pursuit of more horsepower, while jason
was still working for gibbs (both MN guys, neighbors in NC), then form the two car team we know today.
these guys are a success story, plain and simple. it is too bad if you can not appreciate them competing, whether winning or losing.

You have to wonder how it is possible for this situation (domination to this extent by two drivers on the same team) to exist at the beginning of a new era (fuel injection) for a period of time, with no easily discernable reason.

All I can come up with is this: Both drivers are exceptionally well-experiended tuners and mechanics with years of experience with the nuts and bolts of exactly what it takes to make a car go fast. Befoe he was a driver, Greg Anderson spent his teenage years as an apprentice crew-chief for John Hagen's Pro Stocker, and after John's death, worked for Warren Johnson as a mechanic; he has a good grounding in the mechanical-nuances of a Pro Stock car, and lots more... Here is a link to a good story about his early years turning wrenches....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...derson-hagen-was-a-champion-waiting-to-happen

Jason Line was a Stock Eliminator racer for years, and those guys are always looking for another hundredth because many of their races are decided by even less, so, he also is intimately-familiar with the vagaries of building horsepower... and, hoking it up.

Someone like Erica Enders (who may well be the absolute BEST driver out there,) is just that... a great driver, but when it comes to feedback, she doesn't have the depth of mechanical knowledge to give the tuner (crew chief) to fine-tune the combination that Greg and Jason do... and, Pro Stock is all about fine-tuning.

That's the best I can do to try to figure out why this lop-sided situation continues to exist. Time will take care of it, eventualy, I suppose, but for now, it doesn't show signs of going away...

Ideas?

I believe this vintage pro stock has been done for a long time. Apparently so did NHRA and that is why they tried to breath life into it this year. It has clearly failed. Time to move it over to the divisionals and replace it with Pro Mod.

I believe this vintage pro stock has been done for a long time. Apparently so did NHRA and that is why they tried to breath life into it this year. It has clearly failed. Time to move it over to the divisionals and replace it with Pro Mod.

I agree wholeheartedly!

A lot of people have said Greg & Jason are cheating. At the track I don't think they are. Like someone pointed out they got a early start on EFI. But, I remember last year when every racer was asking NHRA what equipment is going to be required. So If Summit got an early start were they perhaps privy early to what equipment would be required and is that not a form of cheating?

A lot of people have said Greg & Jason are cheating. At the track I don't think they are. Like someone pointed out they got a early start on EFI. But, I remember last year when every racer was asking NHRA what equipment is going to be required. So If Summit got an early start were they perhaps privy early to what equipment would be required and is that not a form of cheating?

Like was said on another thread, it's all in the manifolds. They are covered up for a reason.

As was also alluded to in that thread, anticipating the move to EFI in the future and getting a jump on development is not cheating. It's called being smart!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back