Pro Mod Entries at Indy (1 Viewer)

Riley7

Nitro Member
Was I the only one completely impressed with the Pro Mod racers showing up at Indy with 34 cars for a 16 car field? I can't remember the last time that happened for the "Big Show" classes, but it sure got my attention this weekend. With the diversity of the body styles and also engine configurations in Pro Mod, not to mention the show these cars put on, I just don't understand why we don't see more of them on television.

Was Rickie using the new car or the one he been using this year?
I can't see him retiring and don't blame him if he don't.

Was I the only one completely impressed with the Pro Mod racers showing up at Indy with 34 cars for a 16 car field? I can't remember the last time that happened for the "Big Show" classes, but it sure got my attention this weekend. With the diversity of the body styles and also engine configurations in Pro Mod, not to mention the show these cars put on, I just don't understand why we don't see more of them on television.

You were not. I love Pro Mod! They were certainly among my favorites on Saturday, but I was totally bummed that they only had one session due to the rain. Wish they would have them at Route 66 Nationals, or at least an 8 car field any other time.

I guess the reason we don't see more of them is because they are not part of the "Pro" show (TF/FC/PS). As has been suggested on Nitromater, by PJ, I believe, that maybe Pro Stock shouldn't run all 24 races, due to the escalating costs and maybe replace them with Pro Mod. I'm all in with that.

You would be stunned at how many Pro mod fans I know prefer watching them on 1/8 mile tracks. I don't get it but...

Yep, I'm aware that Pro Mod isn't part of the "show" that NHRA has chosen to emphasize and promote as their top tier Pro Classes. The thing is, the Pro Mods have personality. They aren't cookie-cutter look alike rolling bubbles like we see in FC and PS, and they don't all run the same formulaic engine/driveline package that we see in the aforementioned Funny Car and Pro Stock. I'd be very interested to hear how a competitive Pro Mod compares in turn-key price, when compared to a top tier Pro Stock car. Are they less expensive to campaign for a season, and if so, why?

Here's hoping that many show up in Charlotte. Probably my favorite class, but too bad the only time it makes the airwaves is when a crash happens.

You were not. I love Pro Mod! They were certainly among my favorites on Saturday, but I was totally bummed that they only had one session due to the rain. Wish they would have them at Route 66 Nationals, or at least an 8 car field any other time.

I guess the reason we don't see more of them is because they are not part of the "Pro" show (TF/FC/PS). As has been suggested on Nitromater, by PJ, I believe, that maybe Pro Stock shouldn't run all 24 races, due to the escalating costs and maybe replace them with Pro Mod. I'm all in with that.

Like the Top Alcohol cars on Friday, they were scheduled for two qualifying sessions, but rain on each day wiped out one of the two sessions - and shoved a lot of other Sportsman stuff to Sunday and then Sunday night. We finished at around 11 pm Saturday and Sunday, so just where do you suggest they should have run another 40-minute Pro Mod qualifying session on either of those days?

For the record, racing finished at 8:30 pm Wednesday, 6 pm Thursday, 9:30 pm on Friday, 10:40 pm on Saturday, and 11 pm on Sunday and they still had to run a morning session on Monday for Top Alcohol and Pro Mod. The NHRA could have cancelled round 3 qualifying and run the first round of eliminations on Sunday, but they wanted to avoid that because of the number of cars entered in all three eliminators, not to mention the unfinished Brainerd final round in TAD.

When the weather turned bad Sunday, the joke was that the first two qualifying sessions at Charlotte would be the Brainerd wrapup and the two on Saturday would be the final two rounds for Indy. Count your blessings, even with the rain, a few eliminators lost the extra round they are scheduled for at Indy, but they normally get 3 and they got 3.

About ten years ago at Budds Creek IHRA race there were 64 Pro Mods!!!! We were in the lanes behind them and it seemed like every other pass one of them oiled the track. Midnight came and went on Saturday evening and we were still in the lanes! Had to run qualifying pass, service the car and race the next day! What would NHRA have done?

About ten years ago at Budds Creek IHRA race there were 64 Pro Mods!!!! We were in the lanes behind them and it seemed like every other pass one of them oiled the track. Midnight came and went on Saturday evening and we were still in the lanes! Had to run qualifying pass, service the car and race the next day! What would NHRA have done?

That has been a problem as well as staying in it too long and taking out cones or brushing the wall. I love Pro Mod and I was shocked at how clean a race they put on this weekend. I can't recall any issues. Plus they were running fast and close.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back