Here we go again! (1 Viewer)

Tom Slick

Nitro Member
In my mind what makes Pro Mod such a COOL class is the diversity in the race cars. Three different engine combinations, different body styles and of course the variety of paint schemes. Now I see this article over at CP and it makes me wonder if we are now headed down the same path as all of the other NHRA professional categories, especially like Pro Stock and before we know it they will have turned NHRA Pro Mod into a cookie cutter class as well.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/rumor-mill/rumor-mill-pro-mods-in-the-wind-tunnel

Chris, I'm reading this in a bit different way. I think they're putting the cars in the wind tunnel so the class will NOT become cookie cutter. I think this could be a good thing. I'm guessing NHRA realizes the appeal the class has with all the different type of cars and combinations, and they don't want everyone switching over to turbocharged, newer style Camaro bodies (which seems to be the most popular engine/body combo recently). So, if they can determine the drag coefficients of a '53 Studebaker/'49 Mercury (Johnny Rocca anyone?!) compared to a '67 Mustang/'68 Camaro compared to a 2018 Camaro they can make weight breaks accordingly to hopefully keep a variety of cars out there. For example, if the 2018 Camaro body is found to be 10% aerodynamically better than the '68 Camaro body, then the '68 car gets to reduce their weight by X pounds. If the 2018 Camaro is found to be 20% better than the '49 Mercury, then the Merc gets to drop Y amount of pounds. Just my initial thoughts.

Chris, I'm reading this in a bit different way. I think they're putting the cars in the wind tunnel so the class will NOT become cookie cutter. I think this could be a good thing. I'm guessing NHRA realizes the appeal the class has with all the different type of cars and combinations, and they don't want everyone switching over to turbocharged, newer style Camaro bodies (which seems to be the most popular engine/body combo recently). So, if they can determine the drag coefficients of a '53 Studebaker/'49 Mercury (Johnny Rocca anyone?!) compared to a '67 Mustang/'68 Camaro compared to a 2018 Camaro they can make weight breaks accordingly to hopefully keep a variety of cars out there. For example, if the 2018 Camaro body is found to be 10% aerodynamically better than the '68 Camaro body, then the '68 car gets to reduce their weight by X pounds. If the 2018 Camaro is found to be 20% better than the '49 Mercury, then the Merc gets to drop Y amount of pounds. Just my initial thoughts.

That’s my opinion as well. They do the same thing in TS with engine combinations, to keep parity. A friend ran an SB2 (small block) and was the lightest car in the class

Limit Pro Mod to body designs available pre- 1980 model year....then you will see variety

I don't see it. If I was a competitive team, I'd be looking for the best performance. Whether it be a 78 camaro or a 41 Ford. I'd expect others to do the same. IMO, you'd end up seeing large groups of certain models instead of 1 of this 46 Ford, and 4 of that 72 Dodge and 2 of this 79 Ford and 8 of that 80 Camaro. It'd be more like 10 of this, 8 of that and 2 or 3 singles of different models. Who in their right mind would put themselves at a disadvantage before the race even starts by using a body that's not near as aerodynamically sound as the majority? I'm not even a professional racer or tuner and that doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

Look at the cars of 15 years ago and look at today's bodies and tell me is ProMod isn't heading down a familiar path.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back